Mission 770 Freedom Floorstanding Speakers

4.3/5 (10 Reviews)

2 way speaker with Mission stands

Submitted by B. lavigne a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2013

Bottom Line:
Bought in 1988 for $700.00 plus with the stands. Purchased the pair made with the walnut cabinets. You tap the side and they resonate like a fine guitar. Still using them today with never a thought to upgrade. Think of all the differant upgrades you make to your sound system and I'm still using using 25 year old speakers. best investment I've ever made with regards to my sound system. 25 years later my finally agrees.

Submitted by ghw a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
They don't make them like they used to - and I must say its been a while since i've seen a time-delayed front baffle, a proper horn loaded tweeter, and a grey woodgrain finish! According to the 1987 Mission brochure these speakers were 'state of the art reference monitors', designed for the new generation of digital masters. They are a bit unusual. Apparently HiFi choice (or somesuch) pumped 400 watts into these and they took it (even though they are rated at 100 watts). And I can't recall a speaker before or since with a 'super elliptic horn loaded tweeter', which I must say gives it a very unique sonic character. The advanced (for its day) homopolymer bass driver is also a nice bit of unusual looking precision kit. Its also very responsive.
I always fancied a pair of these speakers, and 20 odd years down the line they're sitting in my lounge courtesy of ebay. So, put on one of your CD's and be immediately impressed with the stereo image (which is just amazing), and the smooth, clean sound. Listen to the definition and ultra fast response of that drumbeat; then out of nowhere comes a bass note so deep that you've never heard it before - but its not just the depth, its the musicality and definition of the bass which is awesome. They really don't make them like this anymore - I was recently tempted by a pair of £1000 Linn floorstanders, not anymore.

Submitted by KitsFi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
MUCH better balanced than the originals which were edgy as hell. The more I listen to them, the more pleased I am for having got them...they constantly reveal stuff you might not have noticed before. Plus for the first time I'm really enjoying my CD's over the hour mark; which I didn't before. ICGO but if you get a change to nab a pair, GRAB 'em! DAMN GLAD I did!

Submitted by Wayne. C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
Bought these speakers in 1988 for £400 and still using them to this day.When They originally came out in 1985 they where priced at £700 excluding £40 stands, and where built with that price tag in mind. They came in a variety of colours, the usual black, grey, and I think rosewood.

Purchased At:   1988

Submitted by PKC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love these speakers! Bought them in 1990 for $450 CDN; they are 1984 models. Recently had to repair the seam between one woofer and the foam ring. Easy with $1.29 epoxy and a q-tip. Very nice imaging, great highs and a decent low end. Not too great loud, though, as I run them on a Denon PMA-520. All in all far better than my old Paradigm 11SEs.

Purchased At:   friend

Mission 770 Freedom lover..!

Hi all, after 22 years with the Mission 737R my system is now benefitting from an 'Evilbay' bargain upgrade to the 770F; which were beyond my means years ago.. The impression is of a more lifelike vocal, tonal improvements, goodbye to the fierce treble of the 737R, even more detail, and a kick lik ... Read More »