Mission 751 Floorstanding Speakers

4.79/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Reflex loaded 5.25in woofer, 1-in tweeter bookshelf speaker

Submitted by corbacho a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hallo everybody,
so,...here's my short history, i am a audio entusiast for over 25 years now,i have build a few pair of speakers and turntables,i have had (i have actualy counted them-a night without nothing to do),32 pairs of speakers , that's right 32,....i know it sounds crazy and problably is,but apart from that , what that gave me , was a bit of experience of what speakers do sound like , and the conclusion that there are few really magical designs around there,..the more i know speakers ,the more i am into 'out of ordinary designs', or simple two way loudspeakers,(i must admit a soft spot for good mini monitors).
let me tell you ,.in my humble opinion the mission 751 are for shure on of those special designs that are magical,i have had from the big tannoy hpd series arden, to berkeley,the m3000 also from tannoy....etc,..etc,..to some expensive alternatives, very correct in everything but that simply in one way or another(at least for me)don't seem to connect with music,the missions surely do that , and in what a way,these are unbeatable speakers in their class,even for todays standarts ,we are often taken away by one parameter or another of performance with other speakers , but when we look for perfection , somehow many times we lose the real objective of this crazyness with audio equipment , that is enjoyment of music , the mission 751 thakes me back to that , despite not being perfect, (no speaker is).the 751 were not my first serious loudspeaker, but were in fact the speakers , that connected me with music for that elusive first time, in a special way,more than 20 years ago, at that time with a marantz pm44mk2 se amplifier and a marantz cd-63 , anad what a system that was, i sold them and regreted until today, .....that's my i have just bought a rosewwod pair in second hand in perfect condition,and let me tell you , even if i upgrade my main pair of stereo loudspeakers ,i will not sold this mission again, even for the garanty that when i come back to them i always get music instead of demos.
just an advise , if you want to buy this second hand ,be shure to invest in good stands, and don't expect a lot of bass from them, for the rest just seat back and enjoy.
-also please,..please ,..don't modified them,...yes i have done that with a second pair that was in bad shape a couple of years ago, and regret it, you ear more from eveything,but that special balance between warm and microdetail, that makesthem so special was gone,..these are part of that class of speakers that for plain luck , or avery speacial designer truly hit the spot musicaly speaking, and if modified turn into another speaker,not the 751 anymore,(at least that's what i find),it's like a child that you know behaves badly, but it's more enchating because of that, that's how the mission 751 are.
good auditions.

Submitted by Adam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
These Speakers Are Truly Fantastic! My Dad Has Had These Speakers For 16 Years Now, And I have Always Adored Them! Especially, Hooked Up To A 'Cyrus'! I Bought These Speakers January, And Oh Do I Love Them! Connected To My 'Arcam' System, These Spekers Produce A Punchy, Cristal Clear Fantastic! I will Never Get Rid Of These Beauties! Amazing, 100%, 5*

Submitted by Audionaut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2011

Bottom Line:
Absolutely wonderful! Fast, dynamic, precise - faboulous soundstage, great bass. Slightly on the dark side, in a good way. Great bass - can easily fill my living-room (35 m2) at normal listening levels. I use it with a Naim Nait XS, rather powerful little thing, but the 751 also perfroms with my smaller bedroom amp. Paid appr. 180 USD and it feels like the speaker bargain of my life :-)).

Submitted by Bob Barton a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
Great little speakers and I do mean great. It's 2010 and people here are still reviewing what must be one of Mission's greatest speakers; rightly so, they're fabulous. Still plenty out there on the second hand market.

So what they like? Hooked up to a half decent amp, try a Cyrus or an Audiolab these speakers shine. Clarity, detail and just a touch of warmth to bring it all together. Excellent bass for their size, I have a sub in my system but I don't need it for the Missions. I have been through quite a few speakers in the last twenty odd years but I won't be parting with these. It's hard to choose between the originals and the Freedom version, I'd recomend either.

Submitted by Bobet Faune a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
I just bought a pair Mission 751 Freedom speakers here in Doha. It was an unsold items from the previous dealer here in Qatar old stock but brand new still in a box. I saw it in their clearance sale. I sold my B&W VM1 and bought this. No regrets at all. Great sound. Actually better sounding than my Polk's RTi4. Clarity is superb. It's a legend.