Mission 734 Floorstanding Speakers

Reflex 3 way, two 7in woofers, 7in mid, 1in tweeter

Submitted by Ashley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have had these speaker a few months now and they sound really good for what I payed for them deep bass and sharp vocal i recomend these speakers you can get hold of these very cheap now i only payed £40 but needed new tweeters witch I found for a £10

Submitted by Dielis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have these speakers a few months now in my possession, and I must say that I am very satisfied. Now I have not paid too much for it like a 150, = euro and so is my price-quality ratio a 5. As the sound I regard a 5 to because these speakers really sound great, even without the modifications listed here in the revieuws. The condition is, that you have a good amp with enough power and you must use the spikes that came with the speakers because that makes a real difference. It is strange that the 734 is not in the list to the missions in audiorevieuw with al these others? The 734 has 2 woofers each box instead of 1 like in the 733 as the extra woofer in the 734 take the bass to his account and therefore it is absolutely unnecessary to use a subwoofer to. The negative criticisms mentioned here I really can not find myself in this it sounds to me really unfair for these speakers. This is probably the saying of "garbage in = garbage out" So if you can find these baby's and you want to have a very good speaker, I say definitely buy them you will not be disappointed.

Submitted by bobbymellor a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2005

Bottom Line:
If you are the kind of person that spends thousands of pounds on hi-fi equipment, then your not going to be interested, but now with these speakers being a few years old, if you can get hold of a pair...DO IT!
I bought these speakers off a friend and traded in my 701's.
For a mixed music listener these are great...a really balanced sound. Some reviews say they're too trebely, but if you can mount them properly, with descent spikes and add a bit of wight i.e. sand etc...they really shine. I have bi-wired them and would recomend this to any users as it really helps to balance out the tones. I would also only recomend these speakers to someone that has a descent amp as they struggle on lower powerd amplifiers. Plus they also look sh*t hot.
I use them with an arcam amp and a technics turntable and it sounds so much more vibrant than any cd player under £1000.

Submitted by Patrick Spader a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my second review of these speakers, having now owned them for 4 years.

I stand by my original comments, that is: they have harsh treble and need high wattage amplification/volume to deliver deep bass. I'd still give them a rating in the 3-4/5 based on their build quality (havent skipped a beat yet) and the scale/clarity of the sound.

I agree with the post below as i too have performed several mods to them, they are now quiet exceptional....heres what i
did

1. Added weight (5Kg of sand bags atop each speaker (this CURED the treble probs and added thump to the bass)

2. Changed internal wiring with CAT5 (this made the sound richer with cleaner bass)

3. Added damping material to the interior of the cabinet (polyester batting) - this tweak increased detail substantially

4. Added blu-tac to the metal basket of the drivers (carful too much blu tac will make the sound too etched).

With these mods, the 734's are truly great speakers, making them sound by far the best speakers at their original price point. Soon, i plan to change the caps in the crossovers and i'm hoping to get similar improvements.

Submitted by Colin Crawford a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these in a sale, reduced from £500 to £350. I liked the heavy bass response so I kept them, but quickly began to loath the treble. So I opened up the speaker and saw that they were wired up with cheap rubbish, so I bought some decent speaker cable and rewired them being careful to observe polarity...........the treble is now fine. I then could notice colouration in the midrange so I bought a thick rubber floor mat from my DIY store and cut it up and glued it to most of the surface of the inside of the box. This cleaned up the midrange and also added weight to the box. The speaker is now a good all-rounder. I can strongly recommend these tweeks to all owners of Mission 734i's. However my opinion of Mission is now very poor because no decent manufacturer would have been so lazy and penny pinching!