Mission 734 Floorstanding Speakers

4.12/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $899.00

Reflex 3 way, two 7in woofers, 7in mid, 1in tweeter

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2016

Bottom Line:
Ah, my old Mission 734s from when I rented a flat in an old Georgian building with a huge living room space..

Firstly, these represent the best value way of filling up such a space with decent quality hifi sound.

I paid around £75 for mine locally in great condition, which is real value for the way they perform.

The thing to watch with all 73* speakers when buying is cracked drivers - the brittle polymer fatigues on hard worked examples, so try not to buy from a head banger.

So moving on to the sound - they look like boom box speakers with the OTT port, but actually - given space - they're very even handed in a budget context.

I think they should be seen as budget speakers despite the £500+ price tag new; it's a lot of speaker for the money in relative terms. Certainly, what you are getting is a big version of what many of the better budget speakers of today can offer.

They sing with electronica, but give a good account with acoustic material too, with strong clarity and separation.

Many swear by sand filling these too - I never got around to this but spikes and some marble slabs probably helped mitigate any bass resonance issues.

I would imagine they might be the wrong choice for the average UK living room - I had to move mine on or risk eviction - but man they were fun!

Most of the low price floorstanders are pretty poor - especially Missions 70* series - but these are outstanding budget boxes you might keep for some time.

Submitted by Paul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
I got the Mission 734i and I have to say that I love them, They produce a very detailed deep soundstage.
They can sound boomy as described in some of the reviews on here, but that's purely down to placement..I use the Bose 601 series 3s as my main system (which in my opinion you can not compare) But it has made me realise through the sound of the missions that there's a whole new world I have not tapped into when it comes to true audiophile stuff as I love the missions natural sound so much! You need to have them towed in towards the listener and at least 1ft away from a back wall. They are like a Ferrari with the speed of the response you can get from them...it's a sound I'm not used to! Again this is the first time in 20 years I've ever experimented with other speakers other than Bose..(I don't like the cubed stuff) I'm on about the bookshelf and floorstanders...These are classed as bottom of the line audio speakers and like I say I'm actually blown away at the thought as to how good a couple grand speakers must sound! But I'm Very impressed with these if you see a set buy them! Absolutely awesome with dance and classical music (you'll feel the performance) and even badly recorded music sounds good and never dull...Just place them properly and you'll be rewarded with an addictive sound 5 stars from me based on the £500-£600 original price

Submitted by Jack Johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
I dont find them harsh with quality equipment, nothing you will ever find in a block store. Great sounding pretty well balanced speakers, They are crisp and detailed but never harsh. The bass is ample but not annoying, contrary to other opinions. Perhaps some readers are using poor quality source material and or amps, or system synergy just isnt there. Room acoustics could be in question also. Excellent bang for the buck speaker here (no surprise being an English make and all :)

Submitted by chris r a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2015

Bottom Line:
Got the mission speakers a while ago now and there great and now I need to get a new part for one of the speakers so I need some help to find parts for it needs a speaker because one of my friends kids poked the speaker

Model 734

Submitted by Ashley a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have had these speaker a few months now and they sound really good for what I payed for them deep bass and sharp vocal i recomend these speakers you can get hold of these very cheap now i only payed £40 but needed new tweeters witch I found for a £10