Mission 703 Floorstanding Speakers

4.45/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $625.00

Submitted by Brad a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2017

Bottom Line:
This is very much a retrospective review as I've now been listening to these speakers for over 16 years! I think that qualifies as a satisfactory break-in period. I auditioned many, many speakers back when I chose these. I was using some pretty nice Klipsches before but their horns were ultimately fatiguing for me. I went to all the high-end showrooms in and around Kansas City and Lawrence, KS and though there were some that came as close to my preference as the 703s did, they were all more expensive than the 703s.

I auditioned for about three weeks and kept coming back to the Missions. Since I was a loyal customer at Kief's Audio in Lawrence they dropped the price a little and I was able to get them for about $550 for the pair if I remember correctly.

As a musician and an audio engineer I value accuracy very highly but I also didn't want a sterile midrange monster. There's a little bump in the bass but not too much and placed correctly in a room they're not boomy at all and play back all sorts of music beautifully. Early on they doubled as theater mains in a 5.1 setup and they excelled in that role as well.

As mentioned before I've had these for a LONG time. I've grown to know them and cherish them. Truly a reference monitor for me now. I run them with a Harman-Kardon HK3480 receiver and they match very well. Their response have similarities to my Sennheiser HD 580 and 600 headphones. There's an ease to the presentation but it definitely plenty detailed and separated and with a lush, wide and deep soundstage.

Components further upstream include a Schiit Audio Bifrost 4490 DAC and Valhalla 2 valve headphone amp (that feeds the HK). I play HD files with Audirvana Plus on a Mac and vinyl on a heavily-modified AT-PL120 turntable with Denon DL-110 cart. Considering how much they go for now they're an even better deal than they were in the first place. Perhaps in the future I'll upgrade to something nicer but for now these continue to be my warm fuzzy place where everything sounds good and I can listen for hours on end without a trace of fatigue.

Submitted by hyperair a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
NOt many ppl want to talk about this speaker now. Kind of outdated. But i bought it 2nd hand for about $200 usd. It is way better than my old unknown brand speaker. I only use a cheap OFC cable but it already sounds amazing but some how i think there's still some improvement. It's not my taste i think. Really boomy sound. Mid and high are ok. Maybe it's because of my speaker, i think it's just not very musical. But it's really really great for home cinema. and for this price...GOOD

Submitted by Ted Nichol a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers replaced my Kef Cresta 3's in teh summer of last year. After a bried break in period, I was enchanted to hear so much detail flowing from these great speakers. The performance belies the price. The Kef's just do not campare. When placed correctly and bi-wired the soundstaging and imaging is unrivaled at this price. Bass control and weight are very substantial. Use the spike provided for best support. Much recommended.

Purchased At:   Hifi Durango

Submitted by rick kiler a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
tight, awesome, value, hardcore, yuppie, porsche, hot mamma, audiophile grade, sony, nissan, sandwhiches, kool-aid, kef, radford, puppy, old man, SACD, bodybuilding

Purchased At:   hifi NY

Submitted by Tomislav Vidoviæ a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Fine allround speakers with pleasent sound. Clear and well defined treble, and deep powerfull bass. Suitable for all kind of music. They are very sensitive for cables.