Mission 702e Floorstanding Speakers

3.97/5 (34 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

Submitted by abmscopes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2017

Bottom Line:
I know it's almost a speaker cliche to say that they need good electronics upstream to sound good, but in the case of the 702e's it's true. I've heard them sounding the way the bad reviews on here say; they sound (boomy, ill-defined, boom-box bass), but I've also heard them sounding completely different; tight, 'hits you in the chest' bass and crisp highs.

I'm a bit of a hifi collector and tend to try out a range of amps and speakers from second-hand sources, selling on the weakest and buying again to try out another synergy. But every time I say to myself that, as by far the cheapest (and ugliest!) speaker I have, it's time to get rid of the Missions, I can't bring myself to do it. Why? Because with the correct partner electronics and positioning they sound great! Why do I keep having the notion to get rid of them? Well that happens whenever I've shunted them onto the end of a cheap £100 amp because I'm trying out another pair of speakers on my good amps. Listen to the 702e's with a cheap amp and with the speakers backed into a corner, and yes; they sound woeful, almost un-listenably bad.

So, Ok, I’ll cut to the chase and tell you what, in my years of owning the Mission 702e’s I have learnt. The do’s and don’ts.

Do partner them with a very good amplifier, preferably a pre/power combo. They sound excellent with my Arcam 290 (power) and NAD C162e (pre). I have also achieved excellent results with an old Pioneer A400.

Don’t use a cheap amp, because it ‘matches’ the price range of the speaker. I used the Mission’s with a Cambridge Audio A1 mk3 (which incidentally sounds excellent with smaller bookshelf speakers, like the B&W’s DM601.) If you have such an amp, you will be disappointed with the sound of these speakers. Trust me!

Do give the speakers plenty of room, especially from the side. They are not so fussy about being near a rear wall, but they absolutely hate being near a side wall. I know front-ported speakers are not meant to care so much about positioning, but these ones just do. I can move the speaker a few inches away from the wall and hear the bass tightening and the boominess going as I move them.

Don't jam them up against other stuff and walls and furniture. See above. That said, they can still sound very good in a small room at near-field listening distances, but you just have to make sure they are in free space as much as possible; if not from the rear then definitely from the side.

If you follow all that, then you will be rewarded with a really powerful, well balanced and listenable sound. I take the grills off because I think it helps the tweeter to sing, but it's subtle and not essential. They can image well and as mentioned above, with the right kind of music, they can produce bass you can feel in your chest and they can go really loud.

On the downside, the build quality is so-so and if you end up with a unit that resonates, do not panic! Mine did that and I traced the resonation to the speaker cone itself; the glue which secures it to the basket had failed. A quick dab of glue to stop the cone from flapping freely and the problem is gone. Yeah the cabinet looks cheap too, but with the grills (and your glasses) off, you kind of get used to them.

So in summary, if you see a pair of these for sale for £50-80, maybe even a bit more, snap 'em up, as long as you can satisfy the requirements above.

Submitted by Tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2016

Bottom Line:
I'm surprised at some of the positive reviews here - to me these speakers were pretty awful.

Really woolly-sounding with a bass so exaggerated it was like Mission were trying to be funny.

Teenage boom box speakers to my way of thinking.

Still, I used them with quite a low power amplifier so maybe I'm being unfair.

On the other hand they are 8 ohms with high sensitivity..

..like all the teenage boom box speakers.

Submitted by smythe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers off ebay around 8 months ago. From the moment i plugged them in i couldnt believe my luck! 90 quid speakers that sound as good as some 400-500 quid speakers i have heard!

The quality of these speakers really shines if you use them with good electronics, i use them with musical fidelity and they are certainly not out of their depth.

the midrange is lovely, top end is crisp and nice, however if you are a basshead they may not be the speakers for you. they do have ample bass but if you like your dance music to shake the foundations of your house then look elsewhere!

Total Bargain.

Submitted by kalido a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Finally after 3 years using this spekers i guess i'm ready to comment bout; it.
This i have to admit i a great speaker.IN fact its a budget buster .I'm using it with Marantz CD6000 OSE LE and rotel ra-971mk11.
Recently i upgraded its x-over with ansar supersound caps and kiwame resisitors .Also change the internal cables with DIY one build with cat5 network cables.
Result....it gets even better, i can things which were hidden before and u can just feel the bass extension .If onlt it wasn't for its cabinet build quality which vibrates with bass, i would give it a 5 star.

Purchased At:   Asia Sound , malaysi

Submitted by whytejon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had 700's for about 2 years like them but they lacked bass so went for the bigger brothers.

I run them through a Sony 220 CD, Denon 255 amp, QED interconnects and cable talk 3.1 speaker cables.

The Denon amp is a bit weak at only 30w/channel and this is really noticeable through the 702's. I plugged my mates Audio Analogue (50w) into them and it sounded much better, the sound filled the room instead of sounding like it was coming out of two boxes.

Two things I would say about them though. 1. They do lack bottom end in certain types of music. 2. The treble can be a bit harsh and unrealistic sounding.

I do like them don’t get me wrong, for less than 100 quid they are brilliant, but I’m going to take them back. I think its worth considering spending that little bit more on a set of 773's or splash out on M74i.

Ive auditioned a few different types of speaker manufacturers and for the money you just cant beat mission.

PS the amp is going to be upgraded at the sametime!

Purchased At:   Richer sounds