Mission 702e Floorstanding Speakers

4.03/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

Submitted by smythe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers off ebay around 8 months ago. From the moment i plugged them in i couldnt believe my luck! 90 quid speakers that sound as good as some 400-500 quid speakers i have heard!

The quality of these speakers really shines if you use them with good electronics, i use them with musical fidelity and they are certainly not out of their depth.

the midrange is lovely, top end is crisp and nice, however if you are a basshead they may not be the speakers for you. they do have ample bass but if you like your dance music to shake the foundations of your house then look elsewhere!

Total Bargain.

Submitted by kalido a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
Finally after 3 years using this spekers i guess i'm ready to comment bout; it.
This i have to admit i a great speaker.IN fact its a budget buster .I'm using it with Marantz CD6000 OSE LE and rotel ra-971mk11.
Recently i upgraded its x-over with ansar supersound caps and kiwame resisitors .Also change the internal cables with DIY one build with cat5 network cables.
Result....it gets even better, i can things which were hidden before and u can just feel the bass extension .If onlt it wasn't for its cabinet build quality which vibrates with bass, i would give it a 5 star.

Purchased At:   Asia Sound , malaysi

Submitted by whytejon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had 700's for about 2 years like them but they lacked bass so went for the bigger brothers.

I run them through a Sony 220 CD, Denon 255 amp, QED interconnects and cable talk 3.1 speaker cables.

The Denon amp is a bit weak at only 30w/channel and this is really noticeable through the 702's. I plugged my mates Audio Analogue (50w) into them and it sounded much better, the sound filled the room instead of sounding like it was coming out of two boxes.

Two things I would say about them though. 1. They do lack bottom end in certain types of music. 2. The treble can be a bit harsh and unrealistic sounding.

I do like them don’t get me wrong, for less than 100 quid they are brilliant, but I’m going to take them back. I think its worth considering spending that little bit more on a set of 773's or splash out on M74i.

Ive auditioned a few different types of speaker manufacturers and for the money you just cant beat mission.

PS the amp is going to be upgraded at the sametime!

Purchased At:   Richer sounds

Submitted by Robin Ma a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Purchased speakers on trip to the UK, Mission is a good company and I had read the many positive reviews of them in the press.
Inital impressions were great, after run in they sounded excellent, howevere after a few weeks the plastic baffle started to come loose and resonate at certain low freqencies.
Being in the US it is difficult to get them serviced -- did take them to Denon (there distributors at that time) who reglued them. I had to go again a few months later.
The build quality was poor overall, and this problem seems to be common with these speakers.
I would never pay the MRSP for these and now don't use them at all.
I would never by mission again. You can tell a lot by the cheaper speakers -- poor workmanship and design may carry through to there "better" speakers.
I have some JPW 310s -- excellent build at less than 50 pounds.

Purchased At:   Richer sounds

Submitted by Nick a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Don't let the price paid fool you, I bought four of these, not two!

I spent 8 years working with PA setups and am now doing an audio technology course in Cabmridge. I am therefore basing my opinions on comparison.

I have been using these speakers with QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable, and a Cambridge Audio A5i amplifier for a few months now, and I am very impressed.

I will agree with others, the bass does slightly lack if the speakers are in the wrong place, but if the speakers are aligned acoustically, they sound particularly good!

The treble is great, and there is no obvious hiss, the mid is surprisingly sharp and the bass is punchy, and providing the correct cable is used, wont be too slow either.

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds