Mission 700 Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $250.00

Submitted by Dean Singh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
I just picked up a pristine pair of these 700's for a mere $25.00 on a local internet buy and sell site. They were listed too cheap to let them pass by. I have them connected to a 60 watt Cambridge Audio integrated amp with Cambridge Audio 840c CD player at the front end. I am blown away by these little boxes....they image and throw a huge soundstage very similar to the Spica TC50's I owned and loved for many years. The soft dome tweeter makes a huge difference in smoothing out the top end of the recordings I have listened to in recent years via metal tweeters that have become the norm . For sure setting them up on proper stands well away from walls adds to the 3D imaging. Bass is ok , not great, however these speakers more than hint at true high end sound.
Back in the middle 80's I was turned on to British integrated amps and "bookshelf" speakers and spent hours on end enjoying music with out mortgaging my house for equipment.........these Mission 700's put me right back in that saddle....love it !!!

Submitted by N a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
it is fn awesome :D

Submitted by izools a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
Purchased these of eBay for a meagre £30.

Dance music (Creeps (Your giving me) Freaks) is repoduced faithfully, with rich, clear, well defined bass which extends further than one would expect for a speaker of this size. It's hard to judge the ajility of these speakers with Dance music, as Dance by it's nature is a bit all over the place anyway. But faithfully reproduced with these speakers. 85%

Jazz (Pat Metheny) is reproduced with good accuracy, with clear seperation between the bass and trebble. There is a very small amount of "Boomy" bass with certain very low stringed instuments however I believe this can be tackled with better speaker placement. It is clear that these speakers were not designed with Jass reproduction in mind but they make a very good effort nonetheless. 70%

Female vocals (Norah Jones) is a plus point for these speakers. The airy qualities of her voice are protrayed very well with these speakers, althuogh I am left with the feeling that there is more life in her voice than these speakers suggest. The piano and stringed instruments are portrayed with very good tonal balance in her "Come away with me" classic, and these speakers allow these intruments to be present with the exact amount of balance between the vocals and the backing band, with neither over powering the other. Good show. 78%

Electric (Enya (Only Time Collection)) is where these speakers really shine. Immediately at the very first note of her "Watermark" piece the notes are portrayed in a beautifully warm, and inviting manner, with the soft vocals in the bacground melding with the piano perfectly. I was a little shocked that these speakers were capable of such subtle accuracy. The ability for these speakers to faithfully reproduce the femail voice and their suprisingly good base response allows Enya's Boadicea piece to be brought to life. Very warm throughout this song. Her classic Sail Away was another piece where the femail voice was brought very much to life, but once again I am left with the feeling that there is a very small room for improvement in this area. 92%

Classic (Gustav Holst - The Planets) a reasonable effort. There is a certain amount of subtlety to these pieces and there is definitely good dynic range. I feel there may be something missing from the top end here, possibly that the tweeter takes over long after the bass driver has reached it's -3dB point? It's definitely listenable and enjoyable but somewhat lifeless. Again this may be to do with speaker placement so I shan't be too judgmental, I feel these speakers can reproduce classical music fairly well but if this is what you intend to listen to above any other genre it may be adviseable to look elsewhere. 65%

All in all a 78% score by my book, which I think is nothing to be sniffed at for something that cost £30!!

I would put these on a par with the modern equivelant Mission MV2 speakers; which stands to reason given the MV2 are indented as a direct replacement for these.

I will soon be testing these with a NAD 3020 amplifier (currently using a DENON UD-M31) and post back if this classic amp is able to spring more life into these speakers ability to reproduce classical music.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by RedSnapper a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought a NAD 3020 and some Mission 700 LE speakers about 15 years ago. In all that time I blamed the amp for the excessive sibilance, brightness, and general lack of coherance that was my daily listening experience (Wisdom at the time said that the NAD 3020 was supposed to be "bright").

I recently bought some Tannoy Revolution R2's. Stunning speakers, beautiful to listen to, completely natural and balanced sound.. (I have posted separate review on these). So now the NAD is forgiven, and elevated to "classic" status.

The Missions??.. Maybe I will use them as plant pots, after forcibly removing the drivers. Total rubbish.

Purchased At:   UK

Submitted by GARY S a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
Due to Mission not making them anymore Richer Sounds are knocking these out for £50 at the moment(£70 off)....I thought I'd try them with my bedroom set up, a room about 15ft x 12ft....and wow....for speakers at this price they are simply superb. I have auditioned / owned many bookshelf speakers in the £100-£150 price band and these destroy the competition. For a relatively small box I cannot beleive the bass they give out and vocals sound superb. I use them with a Cambridge audio A5mk3 and Nad 521i CD and when you crank up the volume they handle everything you throw at them. They may get lost in a much larger room but for a bedroom / small living room they fill the space superbly with clear vocal, crisp highs and the bass is suprisingly good.
I have to say upon hearing them and running them in fully I would have paid full price for them, no problem at all.
A very impreeive little speaker.

Purchased At:   RICHER SOUNDS UK

NEW Original Pioneer DDJ SZ..$850/Pioneer AVIC 8000nex..$700/Numark Ns7ii..$700

[SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic]Return Policy By buying on an item, you agree to the following: In the event that a buyer chooses to return an item within 14 days from the purchase date, the buyer will be responsible for paying shipping fees back to our facility where the returned package will be insp ... Read More »

Old mission 700 vs new monitor audio BX2?

Hi all, I'm after some advice. I'm getting rid of some lovely Mission M73 floor standers. They don't match the new decor (so says the Missus). I'm after a Marantz MCR 602. Richer sounds are doing a deal with the Monitor Audio BX2s. However, my mate has said that he'll let me have a listen to his ol ... Read More »

Pioneer 700 hpm. PLEASE HELP

Hello. i'm not an expert in speakers and receivers and these stuff but i heard a lot of good stuff about them, i recently bought a pair of pioneer 700 hpm and each one is 120w. currently i'm looking at receivers and amps but i don't know ANYTHING about it. all i know is that the receiver needs to ... Read More »

I just bought a Jamo R909 for less then $700!!

Well, maybe not....... So, what do you guys think: [url=http://www.topchooseus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11726]Jamo R 909 Reference Series Speaker - Each (High Gloss Red) [B003061FAK] - US$699.50 : Topchooseus Store[/url] I got to the pay part and they said something lik ... Read More »

$600-$700 budget for pc sound system, need recommendations!

hey guys! merry christmas! alright im new to audio stuff and need help badly! any suggestions for a sound system for that price? i heard a lot of recommendations to get the audioengine A5 but i want to ask for your opinions. this is the scenario: 1)my room size is about 19ft X 15ft 2)thi ... Read More »