Mirage Loudspeakers OM-12 Floorstanding Speakers

4.4/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $900.00

Submitted by mario recchia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I originally went to listen to the Mirage OM10 speakers but the dealer only had the OM12's. I really like the sound and they sound open and detailed. I felt they lacked bass just slightly so I always wanted to trade up to the OM10's which the dealer told me had better bass. I recently had a chance to hear these in a private sale but after listening to them for about half an hour(probably not long enough)I decided to stay with my OM12's. The main reason was, yes they had deeper bass but better quality No. If fact they sounded just slightly boomy and not as detailed or open as my OM12's. It could be that the equipment I listened them to was just not in the same class as my own (no insult intended) so I still have the OM12's and very pleased I am. If anyone has tried both side by side please let me know, maybe I should give the Mirage OM10's another chance.

Purchased At:   HiFi Dealer

Submitted by Wes a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers in Oct of 97. I've never had a problem with them and they are still the best sounding speakers I've heard in this price range. They produce very rich and lush sound with lots of clarity and definition. As a warning they are not the most efficient speakers. They require lots of power to make them shine.

Submitted by Lawrence a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
Overall the speaker makes a very good home theatre speaker if you like the Omnipolar/bipolar technology. I like the OM6s and OM8s very much however the OM12s are definitely a step down. I do not think this is a good music speaker - there is definitely better on the market.

8.5 /10 Home Theatre Speaker
7 /10 Music Speaker

-my ratings based on price/performance.

Submitted by Frank Kim a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've been looking for a better pair of surround speakers for a while now. I had PSB Alphas for several years and they were fine for Dolby Surround but now that I have Dolby Digital the Alphas lack the oomph I wanted. I bought the Mirage OM C-2 centre channel speaker and was very impressed with it so I decided to stay in the family and I purchased the OM-12. The OM-12 has the same drivers as the C-2 so they match pretty well. I listened to the OM-10 and it had a more open sound with a better midrange but it was $400 CDN more. I would have purchased the OM-10s for mains but for rear surround the OM-12 does the job fine. Bass is sufficient to set the DD speaker switch to "full range". Overall sound is very neutral and for the value, I'm quite happy with them.

Submitted by Chris Martin a a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 9, 1999

Bottom Line:
I recently bought a pair of OM-12 coupled with an OM C-3 center channel and together they sound amazing. I had been listening to a pair of Definitive Technology (BP8) until now and the OM-12 blow them away in clarity and overall sound. If you are a bass head these speakers will leave you feeling a little emptym, just go ahead and get yourself a nice sub. I am running them off a Dennon AVR 3600 and it seems to provide plenty of kick. Before purchasing them I looked at Definitive, Mission, Boston, etc, for the price range (under $1000), you could not beat it!

Duration Product Used:   a Casual Listener