Mirage Loudspeakers AVS-500 Floorstanding Speakers

4.73/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by walkman666 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the Mirage AVS500 with with LF-100 subwoofer about 2 months ago. I am most satisfied. The sound is clear and rich and works very nicely with home theater. [I do not use these speakers for music.] I purchased the mega mounts ($35/pair) for my rear satellites and they allow me to rotate the speakers. The speakers are not the typical tiny mass market kind; they look and sound like "real" speakers. The four AVS200 satellites are small, but not tiny (4x11x5) and sounded much better than I thought they would. I could only compare them to my Vandersteen 1Cs in a sound test of music, and was surprised that they did not sound like a tin can. They had much more richness and presence than I expected (although this test showed the infamous upper-bass hole that others have indicated with sub/sat systems; not an issue for modeset home theater IMHO). The AVS100 center is very good with clear dialogue and sound. And the LF-100 sub, while only featuring only an 8" woofer (9.5x15.5x13) is more than enough for my medium-sized living room. It thunders all around me when I watch action movies. This home theater speaker system, combined with my Outlaw 1050 receiver and Pioneer DV-444 DVD player, is truly a powerful delight for a medium-sized apt dweller. I would highly recommend the Mirage AVS-500 satellite system over anything at Circuit City, The Wiz, etc.

Purchased At:   Cosmophonic Sound

Submitted by Sam a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
After going all over town to every audio store I could find, from Best Buy and Circuit City to high-end-only audio boutiques, and auditioning 6-piece sub/sat systems from Bose, Klipsch, Boston Acoustics, Polk, Definitive Technology, and others, I finally decided on this Mirage System. It was simply one of the best-sounding systems in the $1000-or-less price range. The center channel is very clear and intelligible. The highs are like crystal. The bass is tight, fairly deep, and powerful, at least for my mid-sized (2000 cu.ft.) room. Most importantly, it sounds smooth and together. The bass from the front-firing subwoofer blends seamlessly into the soundstage. (I located my subwoofer in the front, right side of the room.) I also found that the "external crossover input" can be used as a dedicated LFE input, although the manual does not explicitly state this. Hooking it up this way takes the guesswork out of manually adjusting the crossover setting on the subwoofer. I just set the crossover setting on my receiver to 100 Mhz, which matches the satellites' published frequency response (90-20K Mhz) nicely, and voila! The amount of bass that is produced is perfectly balanced for movies. However, I do find that I have to attenuate the bass output by several dB when listening to music; otherwise, the bass is a little too heavy for my musical taste. Overall, I am extremely pleased with this speaker system and have been showing it off to all my friends. I've been in numerous audio store sound rooms and I would have say that the only speakers that sounded significantly better to me cost at least 2-3X as much as this system. At one high-end store, a pair of the AVS satellites were sitting on top a pair of floor-standing Phase Tech speakers. The salesperson popped in a CD and fired up the amp. The sound coming out was very rich and detailed. I thought he had hooked up the Phase Techs. To my astonishment, the sound was actually coming from the AVS satellites. I even walked behind the speakers to check the connection. It was amazing. So if you're on a moderate budget and want a great-sounding home theater speaker system, you really ought to give these a try.

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by Dale a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I must first start out by saying that the $599 price I paid included the FRX-S8 subwoofer so I feel I got a pretty good deal.

Straight out of the box the center channel speaker had a busted binding post. Not really busted, but extremely loose and I could not get it tightened so had to take it back.

After that, all has been well.

For the money, you cannot buy speakers anywhere NEAR this good. I listened to many. I was pretty sure for a while that I wanted Bose, but the price and the fact that everywhere I went the display wasn't working correctly and I wasn't about to buy speakers I hadn't heard.

Finally heard them in a nearby mall that has a Bose outlet and wasn't impressed despite them being set up in optimum conditions.

The quality of these bottom end speakers from Mirage was very impressive. I had a friend over when I was setting everything up and he even commented on how nicely they were built.

If you're a hard-core enthusiast then these are probably not for you. But I was getting ready to shell out $1300 for speakers and for a few hundred dollars less I was able to add a very nice amplifier as well.

Purchased At:   HiFi Buys

Submitted by Steve Coons a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have purchased this group of speakers for a home theater setup in my large living room (18x16) and I also purchased the subwoofer, FRXS-8 (Mirage). The speakers fill the room with more than enough sound and provide excellent mixing of highs, midrange and bass. I hooked the speakers up to a Sherwood RVD6090R (65 watts/channel) which provided a great all around system for listening to stereo CD's or watching DVD's. I very economical system for the "casual" listener. I did use Monster cable for the speaker wires and a Monster Subwoofer cable ($40).

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Submitted by David Huff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Side-by-side with the Klipsch Quintet system, the AVS-500 have a much more balanced midrange. Although it's a home theater system, the AVS-500 sounds very nice when playing music as well - something I couldn't say about the Klipsch. If you're on a budget and can only afford one set of speakers for home theater AND music, this is the best "bang for the buck" out there.

NOTE: the price shown above was for the AVS-500 only. I also bought the Mirage FRXS-8 subwoofer for $230 and am very happy with it as well. Mates well with the AVS-500 and fills my med-large living room while not being overpowering.

I also can't say enough good good things about Mark Tozier and Kief's Audio/Video (http://www.kiefsav.com/). Great prices and truly excellent service.

Purchased At:   Kief's Audio/Video