Mirage Loudspeakers 595is Floorstanding Speakers

4.33/5 (6 Reviews)

2 5-1/2 in. woofers, 2 3/4 in tweeters

Submitted by audiophreak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great imaging. Can throw a large soundstage despite being a small floorstander. Power handling is exceptional. Bass is adequate for most music.

The gloss black cap and mesh sock make for a very classy look. The dual pair binding posts make bi-wiring a snap. Highly recommended!!!!

Submitted by Migs a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
By the strengths I listed, it's obvious that I like my speakers. I got turned on to this brand from a buddy of mine who had the M3s (helluva speaker). The 595is speakers are better suited for use with components commonly associated with audiophile stuff(even if the price does not project this image). MIRAGE's bipolar technology is just amazing. These floor-standers are, however, best set in a mid-sized room(approx 15'x 18'). This is because it needs a fair distance from the rear wall and sides(2.5' on ea. side, at least). I have this pair in a room with a vaulted ceiling and in one word GLORIOUS. At the Price I paid, I'll consider these a steal.

Bass extension is tight, fast and very musical, considering I am using them with an AUDIO PRISM Tube Amp(which is another steal of a unit). I will say that the Linn Keilidhs were a wee bit more detailed in the mid-range information, but the 595s are close on it's tail w/ a more vivid and more expansive soundstage(at less than half the money).

After the first year, I decided to try them in a bi-wired format. Justice served. It was like getting new speakers altogether. How did I manage without it? QUALITY is defined as: 'Conformance to Requirement'; EXCELLENCE is 'Exceeding the requirement' and thus increasing value. These are excellent speakers. Never ever buy any speaker without first trying. These are worth the time it takes for a genuine Demo. Ultimately, the best is what you like, right?

Associated Equipment:

Audio Prism Debut Mk II tube amp
Counterpoint SA-7.1 Hybrid Preamp
Sony CDP735 CD Player(on titanium points)
Musical Fidelity X-ACT DAC
MIT Terminator-2 Bi-Wire Speaker cable
MIT Terminator 2000 Interconnects

Purchased At:   Sound Plus (Vancouver, BC)

Submitted by Scott a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
The longer I own these speakers, the more I love them. They seem to be very placement sensitive, but that is due to the bipolar design. When I finally got the 595is setup properly they worked very good. These speakers have smooth highs and mids and created a suprising yet convincing 3d soundstage(even musically). The 595is have nice solid base down to about 40Hz. Mirage subs(BPS150i) blend very well with these speakers and is recommended. I get tremendous listening pleasure out of these speakers and would honestly recommend any audiofile to give them a good LONG audition. They really grow on you. excellant speakers under $1000 dollars.

Submitted by Dave a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 1998

Bottom Line:
These 36 in tall bipolar towers are a real find at $500.00. They work will with my Luxman 70 watt R-115 receiver. They seem easy to drive. The sound is very rich with nice depth. After listening to them in the store on Denon and Yamaha receivers they seemed a little shy in the midrange frequencies lacking presence. In my bedroom I had them set up with a Sherwood 5050R with good results and the Yamaha 992 with good results.

Submitted by Ed a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 1998

Bottom Line:
Truthfully, I'm a little disappointed by these speakers. Considering the Mirage reputation and the favorable reviews I've seen, I was expecting just a little more. Not to say that these are bad speakers, but they just didn't have the sound I was looking for. I found them on sale for about $550, but I didn't find myself warming to their sound. They sounded a little thin, especially when playing male voices, and they lacked bass extension. Their soundstage was pretty good, probably due to the bipolar design, but that couldn't make up for the other faults of the speaker. The treble was shallow, with a noticeable lack of warmth, and the imaging was average. Overall, I think these speakers are just average. (By the way, I ended up buying the Paradigm Monitor 9's for about $100 more.)