Mirage Loudspeakers 595is Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

2 5-1/2 in. woofers, 2 3/4 in tweeters

Submitted by Lerryn hawkin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2017

Bottom Line:
Just picked up a pair here in nz for $200 nzd (100 ish usd)
Had them for a few weeks now and love them...
As a studio engineer my mono system in my lounge just needed a cheap upgrade to keep me
Happy listening to tunes while doing house work, and the odd Netflix night, and the very odd party... the bipolar thing intrigued me cos I listen to dynaudio and focals all day long and wanted something different and coloured at home.
man that was the best $200 bucks I've spent..
got them home and bi wired them up to my old technics amp and boom..
Love the over enriched tweets and the little woofers are ok too, Cab design has a bit of port noise when pushed and I had to seal all the woofers.
Interesting that there where no grommets to hold woofer screws..

As bad is it is I have now soffit mounted them for a while before I move house,
When they where in open space I loved soundstage and they where amazing for the price,
But quickly looked for a sub to help them out..
But soffit mounted I now have pictures falling off the walls...
Now I am buying a decent amp!!!!

Question for everybody,
Are the front speakers delayed at all??

Submitted by Clyde a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2014

Bottom Line:
I picked up two pairs of the 595is for $100 a pair on ebay a few years back. They are sensitive to placement, and sound best with plenty of breathing room... 3 feet from the rear wall works very well, and you need to experiment with towing them in to find what works best in your room. They are easy to drive, but they are revealing of weaknesses in other components. I've run them with a top of the line Sony (only fair sound), a middle of the road Luxman receiver (noticeably better sound), NAD pre and power amp (better yet), and currently with a Rotel pre and power amp, which sounds really, really good... great soundstage and imaging, clarity and resolution. You can get great deals on used equipment if you are patient and shop around. For only a few hundred dollars, I got a really good sounding set up. Highly recommended speakers that really show their potential when paired with quality amplification.

Submitted by audiophreak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
Great imaging. Can throw a large soundstage despite being a small floorstander. Power handling is exceptional. Bass is adequate for most music.

The gloss black cap and mesh sock make for a very classy look. The dual pair binding posts make bi-wiring a snap. Highly recommended!!!!

Submitted by Migs a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
By the strengths I listed, it's obvious that I like my speakers. I got turned on to this brand from a buddy of mine who had the M3s (helluva speaker). The 595is speakers are better suited for use with components commonly associated with audiophile stuff(even if the price does not project this image). MIRAGE's bipolar technology is just amazing. These floor-standers are, however, best set in a mid-sized room(approx 15'x 18'). This is because it needs a fair distance from the rear wall and sides(2.5' on ea. side, at least). I have this pair in a room with a vaulted ceiling and in one word GLORIOUS. At the Price I paid, I'll consider these a steal.

Bass extension is tight, fast and very musical, considering I am using them with an AUDIO PRISM Tube Amp(which is another steal of a unit). I will say that the Linn Keilidhs were a wee bit more detailed in the mid-range information, but the 595s are close on it's tail w/ a more vivid and more expansive soundstage(at less than half the money).

After the first year, I decided to try them in a bi-wired format. Justice served. It was like getting new speakers altogether. How did I manage without it? QUALITY is defined as: 'Conformance to Requirement'; EXCELLENCE is 'Exceeding the requirement' and thus increasing value. These are excellent speakers. Never ever buy any speaker without first trying. These are worth the time it takes for a genuine Demo. Ultimately, the best is what you like, right?

Associated Equipment:

Audio Prism Debut Mk II tube amp
Counterpoint SA-7.1 Hybrid Preamp
Sony CDP735 CD Player(on titanium points)
Musical Fidelity X-ACT DAC
MIT Terminator-2 Bi-Wire Speaker cable
MIT Terminator 2000 Interconnects

Purchased At:   Sound Plus (Vancouver, BC)

Submitted by Scott a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Bottom Line:
The longer I own these speakers, the more I love them. They seem to be very placement sensitive, but that is due to the bipolar design. When I finally got the 595is setup properly they worked very good. These speakers have smooth highs and mids and created a suprising yet convincing 3d soundstage(even musically). The 595is have nice solid base down to about 40Hz. Mirage subs(BPS150i) blend very well with these speakers and is recommended. I get tremendous listening pleasure out of these speakers and would honestly recommend any audiofile to give them a good LONG audition. They really grow on you. excellant speakers under $1000 dollars.