Mirage Loudspeakers 490is Floorstanding Speakers

4.36/5 (11 Reviews)

Submitted by (O0o*o0O) a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Bottom Line:
Bought mine used, but in perfect shape. The sock grills and the piano black tops were nice. I found I could resell them for a nice price which was my intention all along. Hooking them up I found them to be shockingly poor. No real bass, to radical of highs, and they couldn't handle to much volume.
This is my first review, because this was my most memorable disappointment. I ended up selling them for $150.00 and felt guilty doing so. I did hook them up using a couple different applications, but really these speakers are great replacements for a bookshelf stereo system.
Get a nice pair of Infinity Entra Two speakers and experience the reproduction of sound by way of modern technology.

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
I brought home a pair of Mirage 490is to audition and must say that I very pleased with them (to say the least).

They are very musical and yet never overpowering.

Other reviewers have said it and I must agree, if there is one word that sums up these speakers it is SMOOTH almost to the point of transparency (a Mirage).

You never find yourself listening critically to these speakers for very long. You end up listening to the wonderful music they make instead.

That folks is what makes a great speaker and that is why this pair will not be going back to the store but will remain where they are for many years to come.

Submitted by Adam Barrett a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have had my M-490's for over 5 years now. For those interested in making that exciting, and expensive, first leap into high-end audio, the M-490's are a prudent choice.

Bottom line - The M-490's plus the extra $$$ on the improvements listed below, will please your ear more than a marginally more expensive set of speakers.

Here are a few things I have noticed about the M-490 performance which some other reviewers may find useful.

Amp Effect: I run mine with a Baby Adcom (GFA-535), which suits the M-490's very well. I have listened to them under a larger Adcom amp, and although bass response and presence improved, the net gain was surprisingly minimal in comparision to the other improvements (below).

Straight wire (ribbon) speaker cables.
- Huge difference on the M-490's compared to even the largest monster cable.

High-end interconnects (CD to Pre-Amp and Pre-Amp to Amp).
- Huge difference on the M-490's when powered with the GFA-535.

Good speaker stands, filled with lead shot.
- Significant improvement over cheaper stands, and an even greater improvement when filled with lead shot.

Vibration Isolation Pads (Amp and CD Player)
- Don't ask me why, but the presence and depth were greatly improved on my system when this very inexpensive improvement was made.

The M-490's can also be bi-wired and bi-amped. Although I haven't pursued this path, I have been told it would be the most cost-effective approach for the next incremental improvement. I'd love to hear from the other reviewers if they've tried this out yet.

FYI - I run an Adcom GTP-450 Pre-Amp with this combination.

Submitted by Milton Marks a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have been listening to a pair of Mirage 490's for 3 years now. I also own Signet 260 and Maggies and have listened to countless numbers of loudspeakers of all types and sizes in my living room down through the years.

These speakers are very smooth and liquid in the highs. Never harsh! They are very forgiving and improve with improvements in associated equipment. They sound better than my other speakers with my son's Marantz receiver!

The bass can get a little too warm and loose at times. Not recommended for use with tubes. The midrange is much better than expected but doesn't match the more expensive stuff around. I would guess there are a couple of other speakers around now that will sound better in the mids. Still very fine for the bucks!

On the matter of detail, speakers that are a bit bright will sound more detailed. I prefer "laid back" and smooth to "in your face" and harsh! Most of the stuff I've heard lately in the "low end" has been brigh and harsh with boomy bass.

There are a few speakers around (usually very expensive ones) that manage to sound detailed without added harshness. Once again associated electronics can make a big difference here. Here, personal tastes will vary, of course! [My Signets sound "more detailed," brighter, with a bit more detail in the mids and base as well. However, they lack "weight" in the bass and deliver much less impact as well! But then again, do you really expect miracles at this price?]

I was not as impressed with the 490 slim tower replacement unit auditioned in the store some time ago. If you like the Mirage sound move up in the line. The mids are improved and the bass it a bit tighter in the 790s and up. Perhaps you can find one of the top of the line units. They are beautiful to look at and sound quite wonderful as well.

I have really enjoyed this speaker. You can listen to it for hours and never be offended! Check out the new Mirage and see if you agree!

If you've got $1,500+ to spend on a speakers plus a couple thousand for electronics, there are better choices but if you just want smooth, clear sound from modest electronics, give Mirage a try.

Submitted by Ashesh Kapur a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I could not agree any more with Robert. Excellent speakers, I have the 490i, great front firing speakers, OM-C2 omnipolar centre, OM-R2 omnipolar rears and the BPS-150i the omnipolar sub.
I am planning to upgrade my amp in the very near future to the Yamaha 2095, I am hoping that this would enhance the performance of the speakers.

Highly recommended and enjoy listening!

Ashesh Kapur