Merlin Music Systems VSM-MXe Floorstanding Speakers

Merlin Music Systems has elevated the critically acclaimed performance of its VSM loudspeakers to a new level, the Merlin VSM-MM and VSM-MX. The VSM MM's & MX’s use the same rigid cabinets, state-of-the-art drivers, proprietary wire harness, specially designed "Z" feet, and high-quality internal parts as in previous versions of the VSM. The VSM MM & MX continue to use our proprietary ultra low loss Hovland inductors and the Merlin Bass Augmentation Module (BAM) that was developed for the VSM-M. New to the VSM-MM & MX is the further improvement of crossover components which takes the speaker performance to the next level.

Submitted by roroh a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2013

Bottom Line:
Hi all

i will be interested by a pair of merlin vsm mm used ( 2007 ) and i saw on the website somebody said that the medium/bass speaker is too slow with regard to the tweeter dynaudio esotar ?

thanks for your return

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by maursy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have owned the VSM-MXE for some time and think I have a pretty good handle on how it sounds at least in my system. I have a Ars Sonum integrated and a Cary 303/300 cdp, Pro-Ject 9.1, Cary ph302 and a Ortofon rondo bronze with everything tied together with Cardas Golden Reference. I finally have a listening room just for lthe stereo and myself. After many years of trying to get that sound I was looking for I found it with this system. It is hard for me to put the sound of these speakers into audiophile speak but they are just the most natural sounding speakers since my Quads that I owned for years. The highs go on forever the mids are spot on and the bass is very natural for the jazz that I play.Not cheap but worth every penny as these speakers will stay with me here in OZ for many years to come.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Bill Stephens a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
In my 30+ years in this hobby there are only a handful of components that I've kept more than a few years. I bought the Merlin VSMs (SE version) after an in-home audition in 1998 and after reading many glowing reviews. I liked the speakers so well that I kept them for 10+ years and felt no need to change them. Bobby Palkovic at Merlin (and more glowing reviews of the later models) finally convinced me to take the next step, so this year I sent my speakers back to Merlin to be converted to VSM-MXe status. Thus my comments below address both the original VSM-SE and the upgrade to the VSM-MXe.

My prior speakers were also 10+ years in my home. They were electrostatics from a highly regarded company and I spent many years trying to get them to sound “natural”. They certainly sounded transparent and revealing, which is why I bought them, but I could not get them to sound natural. After listening to the VSM-SE in 1998 it was clear that they had much of the revealing quality of the electrostatics, but they also had the inherent musicality and naturalness that allows one to get lost in the music and simply enjoy the performance. This is why I bought the VSM-SE and enjoyed them for 10+ years. They are natural and sound like music. Thinking back over the past 10 years I guess I resisted the upgrade as there wasn’t much that I didn’t like about the VSM-SE sound and I really didn't think they could be improved "that much".

I was wrong.

If the VSM-SE sounds like music, the VSM-MXe is starting to sound like live music.

I’ve had the modified speakers back now only a bit over two weeks. Bobby put some hours on them after the upgrade and I guess I’ve put another 80 hours on them. The first week they sounded very nice and it was clear they were changing/breaking in. This past weekend though the speakers really came into their own. As the weekend progressed the sound became more expansive, more relaxed, yet more defined and precise. The top end snapped into focus: When this occurred the imaging became much more defined, almost holographic and the sound took on an "aliveness" or realism that I have not heard before. The soundstage details (especially in the mid-to-back portion of the stage became almost as clear and defined as the front of the stage. I began to hear clearly for the first time many details, background harmonies and vocals on recordings that I've listened to hundreds of times before. Simply hearing stuff that I had no idea was even in the recordings. There were several songs that I "thought" I knew the words on but I found out I was singing the wrong words. The speakers now are clear in revealing this. I find the VSM-MXe to be far more resolved, revealing and immediate while being even more relaxing to listen to than the SEs. And for those into imaging - these speakers will not disappoint.

As I mentioned, before I purchased the Merlins I owned electrostatic speakers and, being an engineer, I thought that there was no way a dynamic driver speaker system could capture that kind of realism. I guess I'm going to have to re-consider that opinion. It's amazing to me that (with this modification) the speaker has had no driver changes and yet sounds so different and improved.

Loving what I'm hearing so far with this (very reasonably priced) upgrade.

Associated Equipment:
Decware Torii Mk-2 amplifier
Rega Saturn CDP
Well Tempered Table, ET 2.5 Tonearm, Benz-Micro Glider cartridge
Audience AU-24 cabling

Submitted by pubul57 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
What do you get when someone has a good idea and spends the rest of their lives perfecting it? The Merlin VSMs. I think this speaker is the pinnacle of two-way speakers, and in the very top ranks regradless of size or price. Music lovers should just buy it and enjoy the music. Audiophile should try it, they might just find that it is the last speaker they ever own. One has to get over the fact that it "only" has two drivers, is relatively small, and is nevertheless a masterpiece, sorted out through years of improvements and refinement. If you own a pair, you can rest assured you own some of the very best speakers on the planet, and you did not have to mortgage your house, or buy behemoths dominating your room to get some of the very best sound currently available. As Merlin owners know, somehow Bobby is going to figure out yet one more way to make what seems like a perfect speaker in so many ways, better yet. This is not just a product, it is a vision and a passion of one man who had a really good idea of how to make a speaker, and the commitment to improve it over time in any way he could find. Let's just say I really like it and "new" speakers are the last thing I ever think about, till Bobby finds yet another way to improve the VSM. Next stop, the Master BAM.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Pubul57 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Bottom Line:
There simply seems no reason to say what has already been said here. I read the reviews and think that everyone has pretty much captured the spirit of what these speakers do. They are simply at the pinnacle of two-way speakers, and among the finest speakers available regardless of size or price. If you are a music lover first, just buy them, sit back, and enjoy. If you are an audiophile, you owe it to yourself to have these speakers at some point in your journey looking for the "holy grail". I suspect that if you do, the Merlins may very well be the last speakers you will own, until Bobby figures out some way to perfect what might in all important musical ways may already seem perfect - yet somehow, over time, he will find a way. He has chosen to make one thing as well as he can possibly make it, and all Merlin owners are the beneficiaries of that passionate pursuit.

Product model year:   2008