Meadowlark Audio Shearwater Floorstanding Speakers

4.66/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $2500.00

Floor standing 2 way

Submitted by f155mph a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
If I can only use one word to describe these Shearwater HotRod speakers, the word would be awesome! Thanks Pat for creating such a great sounding pair of speakers. I got a great deal on Ebay since the pair was damaged cosmetically. These speakers are open, airy, clear, dynamic, and simply wonderful. Currently they are hooked up a Yamaha receiver, which I know it totally don’t do justice to these speakers. But even with the receiver the speakers sound amazing. I can’t even imagine what they will sound like with a nice tube amp. Originally I brought the speakers as the front mains for home theater since they were so cheap and I have a dedicated two channels system. But upon listening to these speakers I was totally mesmerize by the great sound they put out. I think they are worth every penny even at MSRP. The amount of bass these speakers put out is nothing short of a miracle. I have listen to many high-end systems in the past few months including Wilson’s Watt Puppies, Revel Salon, Martin Logan Statement E2, Thiels, Meridian, and other manufacturers. I think the Meadowlark are great bang for the buck speakers.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by prisoners a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
These are the Hot Rods, and were a demo pair. I really like these! I was looking for a pair of floorstanders to match with my Jolida 502A so they had to be efficient and sensitive. It turns out that these are a GREAT match for tube amps

Purchased At:   Simply Stereo, Hoffm

Submitted by Porky a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased these speakers used and therefore did not have to endure the apparantly dreaded break-in period. What a pleasant suprise these speakers have become. Great imaging and detail without the brightness you would probably get by stepping down a notch to a lessor quality speaker. With at least decent amplification, the bass has nice extension. They come ready for bi-wiring which makes them ideal for running 2 seperate power amps if you wish. I experimented w/ this and was pleased with the results. The bass began to tighten up and "sing" more. Many claim that these speakers sound better w/ tubes. I have found that they sound exceptional w/ solid state as well. They are indeed, however, fussy when it comes to positioning in your listening area. I had to pull mine 3.5 feet away from the back wall before the sound would open up. I purchased a sub-woofer to round out the bottom end before I discovered how sensitive they were to positioning. I found the right position and have not had the sub on for 3 mos. (What a waste of $)The selling point of these speakers is the mid-range. Best mid-range in a 2-way at this price I have heard. Acoustic guitar and keys sound fantastic. Solid construction, good looks, good price (especially used) and most importantly, great sound. I see no reason for me to upgrade anytime soon. I think I will focus more on the electronics.

Other equipment:
Rega Planet 2000
B&K PT3
2 B&K Reference 2220
DH Labs interconnects and speaker cables

Purchased At:   Audio Alternative in

Submitted by jk121764 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow. After finally fine tuning my front end components to where I want it I needed some speakers to match the quality. I've been thru quite of few speakers and this time did more research before I bought them used, which is probably better anyways because they apparently take very long to break-in. Rather than go into a long winded sound analysis, lets just say this will probably my last speaker purchase for years to come. My Shearwaters are the hotrod version.

Associated equipment:

interconnects- TMC

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Bruno Wichnowski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great speaker that's very easy to drive and sounds fantastic! Nice bottom-end to it and very warm, detailed mid-range. Highs are smoother than the metallic dome of my previous B&W 805s and are much more "there".

Purchased At:   Private Sale

I heard Shearwater on the radio yesterday.

Does that mean y'all have to start hating on them? :wink5: I wasn't really paying close attention because (a) it was the radio, and (b) I didn't know it was Shearwater until after the song finished. But from what I was able to recall from my sub-concious, I think I liked it. It was kinda Radioh ... Read More »

Half Gone with the new Shearwater

What's been the standout new release for you this year? Or maybe just favorite discovery if you haven't heard a bunch of new stuff? Just got the brand new one from Shearwater, [i]Rook[/i], and after only a couple listens, must say that it's gonna take something pretty special to keep this away from ... Read More »