McIntosh XRT2K Floorstanding Speakers

• Total of 110 drivers in each speaker
  • Forty 3/4" Titanium Tweeters

Submitted by AudioPro a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
As a recording engineer for the last 18 years, it has been my experience that speakers are designed for specific applications. Live sound demands high volume, while recording studio work requires great precision. I thought these two goals were mutually exclusive until I heard this system at CES this year.

A huge number of drivers in each speaker is an obvious way to increase power handling and reduce distortion, but has the potential to destroy cohesive imaging. In a studio environment, precise imaging is accomplished through strict acoustic control, controlling even the listening distance. I was suprised to hear these McIntosh speakers image so well, no matter where I was in the room. The image was not affected by standing or sitting nor by moving closer and further away.

Lifelike is the best word to describe the sound of many of the tracks I heard. I have heard this level of realism before, but never at these volume levels.

I am sure the performance wasn't hindered by the supporting electronics. The MC2KW a 2000 watt, 3 piece monoblock amplifier was a behemoth. The C1000 Tube Preamplifier caught my eye with it's green tube glow (green tubes?). All of the electronics in this sytem are fully balanced, like the premium studio products I often use. Balanced design is THE way to eliminate noise.

As fine as the electronics were, it is these speakers that excited me most. They are the best combination of power and control I have ever heard - a very impressively engineered product.