MB Quart QL S830 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by nightflier a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
These are amazing speakers. I originally hadthem connected to a mediocre amp, but when I changed that out, they revealed exceptional soundstaging. They image exceptionally well. Incredible highs, too. While most people can't hear anything above 18KHz., these speakers can easily go much higher. I measured 26KHz. using a microphone, and that was probably only limited by the recording.

Several people have said that the bass is not very impressive, but that is probably because these speakers need a very powerful amp. Bass frequencies typically require the most from an amp, and these speakers are not efficient at all, so they will need an ample amount of power. But once you give'm that power (I'm using a 350W B&K amp), they can go much lower than your typical Polk/Infinity/Klipsch tower speaker.

One more thing, these speakers are very attractive too. The grill matches the speaker cabinet precicely and there is an attractive glass shelf on top of the speaker. Very German in every respect.

I've compared these speakers to my Dynaudio's and while I still prefer the Dyne's, these are a very close second.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Dharris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have just completed my DVDA / SACD setup with MB Quart QLS830 mains. I previously had MB Quart QLS530 for mains and QLS330 CC with Paradigms ADP70's for rears. I loved the MB Quart QLS530 so much I decided to replace them with there bigger brothers QLS830. Theses towers are awesome out of the box. As my 530 were, they are a little edgy at first, but not too bright. They will only get better as they are played (no problem with that). I’m now surrounded with MB Quart S-line speakers. These speakers are just awesome to my ears. I use NAD T753 to power them. I may add a two channel amp to see what they can really do.

Submitted by annguyen251 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've got the MB Quart QLS 1030 for the fronts, 330 for the center, 530 for rears. These speakers can do any task! From Home Theater to Music they are excellent. Even with classical music they shine the the champs. I owned Enery veritas line before but they could not compare with these MB Quarts. The Quarts are deadly quite, they have abslutely no bad noise. The mid range is superb, I like them much better than B&W 803 series. The bass is very tight and nice. The highs is excellent with their titanium tweeters. These are world class speakers that many can afford. Strongly recommended.

Purchased At:   yawaonline.com

Submitted by Jaret a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
Very Very blown away. Like the previous review, I am a big MB Quart fan. I bought these speakers without hearing. I trusted they would be what I expected. Way better than that! I set-up a 5.1 with 830's front & back, a 330 center, & a sub of another brand. Best system I have ever heard!

Purchased At:   Yawa

Submitted by John Delenay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
Out of the box these speakers are quite harsh sounding, but after about 3 months hours of use the cones loosen a bit and the harshness is gone. The clarity of these speakers from cymbals to bass drum is excellent. Vocals and accoustic instuments are a strong point, although they have plenty of punch for rock as well.
I used it both for music and HT. The Eagles DVD DTS really sounds live. I can hear every guitars in the concert. This is a really under rated speakers. I can recommended this to anybody and won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

MB Quart QL S830's lacking bass

I have been listening to a newly acquired pair of MB Quart QL S830's that are connected to a HK3480 amplifier (150W / channel into 4 ohms). I am using a standard Onkyo DVD changer and am using the sub outputs to power a Monitor Audio sub. I've kept everything as simple as possible. Now I've had a ... Read More »