MB Quart QL-C400 Floorstanding Speakers

Loudspeaker, 2-Way Dual 6.5" Woofers, 1" Titanium Tweeter

Submitted by Luke Ibis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked up the QLC404's at a local dealer in a package with a Quart Center and Surrounds for an excellent price. Although I have a home theater system, I mainly listen to music and watch movies only occasionnaly. I am totally blown away by these speakers. It's like I'm listening to my music for the first time. The titanium tweeters provide a very bright sound, and are extraordinary in providing clarity in live recordings and acoustic music. I was surprised at how well they handled Miles Davis' trumpet on my 20 bit import recording of "Kind of Blue." The lead is very smooth and mellow, and the imaging is suberb. That is really what impresses me most about these speakers. They are able to place the musicians on stage very precisely, and the stereo seperation is mind boggling. What really sealed it for me was the HDCD recording of the Minnesota Orchestra's "Mephisto & Co." Absolutely flawless, with breathtaking highs and a surprising amount of confidence in the lower registers. It was like I was sitting in Orchestra Hall all alone!

These speakers are a perfect 5! You will not regret purchasing them.

Submitted by Jeff Henline a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Bottom Line:
I've heard comparable models from Klipsh, Infinity, and Paradigm, and the only speakers that can stand up to these are the Paradigm Monitor 9's. The QL-C400's are not as sensitive as the 9's so they need a little more juice. After listening to the 9's and the QL-C400's I had to go with the Quarts. Very full sounding with great bass response. Clear and crisp highs thanks to the Titanium Dome tweeter. These are some of the best sounding speakers I have heard in this price range. I would highly recomend them to anyone who is serious about obtaining clean sound.