MB Quart Domain 55 Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

2 1/2 way bass reflex speaker

Submitted by kaster776 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Bottom Line:
i have a set of d 55s
but i have a problem... and hope mayb one of you can shed some light...
one of my tweeters are blown. 1 tweeter does not work on either speaker.
i just can't find a replacement. can it be replaced or fixed, or does anyone know?
PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME>!!!

Submitted by craig a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 1999

Bottom Line:
The Domain 55's are probably the best value in speakers under the $1500 price point. I work in an electronic store and picked up the last set for $200 because they were discontinued and because of my employee discount. we used to sell them for a $1000 a pair, and they were well worth every penney. The tweeters are the real high point of the speakers made of titanium and used in multy thousand dollar speakers(of other names) because of M.B. Quarts superior design. I use them for stereo use powered by an Onkyo Integra amp, but will work just as well for home theatre applications. A superb well balanced speaker if you can still find a set. Fact is I like them just as much as my Infinity Kappa 8.1's which retail for more than double than the M.B. Quarts's original price!! Unquestionably 5 stars!!

Submitted by TTN a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
Update to my review below:Before I got the D55, I had listened to Infinity RS4/RS5, Polk RT12/RT800, Klipsch KG 5.5, KEF Q50/Q55, B&W 603/604, JBL HLS 820, AR 310HO, Snell Type D, and Jamo 128. I like the D55 better as far as price/value is concerned.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by TTN a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I got a pair of MB Quart D55 recently. I used them as front speakers with a pair of KEF Q15 as rears and a PSB Alpha Subsonic subwoofer. The sound of this system is incredible to me. The more I listen to the D55, the more I love it. I don't know how the sound is so clean, so warm and neutral. The bass is amazingly tight and powerful for a 6.5" driver. With the addition of the Alpha Subsonic, you can hear and feel virtually all the low ends. A lot of time I have to shut off the sub in order to prevent my windows and walls from shaking, but I am still pleased with the "remaining" bass from the D55.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Allan W. Jones a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 1999

Bottom Line:
I agree with Adam and Frank. I purchased a set (yes I got the 400.00 steal) because of my previous experience with another fine speaker from MB Quart - the 350S. I was looking for the same sound the 350's had but with a little better bass response. The D55's were amazingly clean in that respect - I love the "low end" from these speakers. It's very tight and very smooth and I was actually able to take my sub-woofer completely out of the system with no loss of listening pleasure. The mid-range and high-end was everything I had expected from Quart's titanium domes. Soundstage is quite large and very well-defined and imaging is superb. Are they electrostats? No, but in a medium priced (read: affordable) speaker, they are definitely better than most others in that range. I had recently demo'd three different models from Mirage and two from Celestion and dollar for dollar they outperformed them all. I haven't replaced my 350S with them yet (I have grown extremely fond of those little guys) but overall I'd give the D55's 4 stars if you pay full price and 5 stars if you can get the 400.00 deal!