Martin Logan Summit Floorstanding Speakers

• Impedance: Nominal 4 ohms
  • Power Handling: 100–300 watts per channel

Submitted by cinematic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Bottom Line:
The first time I heard the Summits at a demo, just after market introduction, I was not impressed. They sounded very much like my old ML Sequel speakers & I did not find it worth the upgrade cost. I've listened to many other speakers since, but very few bettered my old MLs in imaging for which I love electrostatics so much. (breadth, depth and height, height!!)
Then I heard the Summits again: this time, they were well broken in and properly set up: they were awesome, I was immediately hooked so I bought them as soon as I could get a good deal.
At home, they sound even better. The depth & speed of the bass is incredible and integrates beautifully with the panel. Highs are clean and well extended - the overall picture is beautiful, coherent, detailed, very realistic.
After extensive listening, I was surprised to find these speakers to be much more tolerant to mediocre recordings. On the Sequels, poor recordings sounded absolutely awful, they still sound acceptable on the Summits. Yet, no details have gone lost and good recordings sound absolutely spectacular. Live recordings sound eerily realistic and I still get a shock sometimes when a piece of percussion suddenly seems to appear in the room.
I've reached the end of my quest, don't need to look further for a better speaker and can now concentrate on music alone.

Purchased At:   rhapsody

Submitted by vanden14 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2006

Bottom Line:
I owned a pair of Sequel II's and SL3's, so I know what to expect from Martin Logans. After the SL3 paired to my YBA3 pre-amp and YBA2 HC amp, any other speaker is a minor upgrade, not really worth the money. Only the Summit is a real improvement in this respect, and the Euro 110.000 Statements E2 ofcourse, but they are a little too big and far too expensive.

I have to say, if you hear the Summits before they have been properly broken in, you think they look pretty and sound nice, but not worth the extra thousands. But if you hear what they do after several weeks of coninuous playing on a combination that suit them well, you won't believe your ears.

Martin Logan finally cracked the bassproblem! Bass was something to be desired on Martin Logans until the Summit. The bass can be set up just the way you like it, now ML's even rock! The pre-amp/amp combi does not have to be unbelievable strong, because the basesection of the Summit is active; ML has put in the amps they feel drives the bass best. And you hear they know what they are doing like never before.

I like the new design which is less bulky and even acceptable for my girlfriend who silently hated the big Sequels and SL's. The price is high, but if you compare it to a amp/pre-amp and seperate woofer and good cabling you needed to drive older Martin Logans, it is a very reasonable price, for you normally do not have to change your amps.

Submitted by babydoc a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Bottom Line:
The Summits are ML's most recent effort at size-efficient hybrid ESL/dynamic speakers. Their design is a clear departure from their predecessors in that the panel is a relatively "naked" airframe and the subwoofers are internally powered. In addition, the mating of the ESL and woofer elements is nearly seamless and can be adjusted for room characteristics. A break-in period is required to get the woofers to ease up; this can vary from a very long weekend to a couple of weeks. The decision to go with a powered woofer gives the Summits the bass control seen in their Descent/Depth series and may even obviate the need for a separate subwoofer in some applications.
The Summit footprint is no larger than the recently discontinued Ascent series making it very room friendly. Placement does demand some space (minimum of 3') from the rear and sidewalls as is the case with all ESLs.
The feet are different from early models as well (spikes must be taken out and reversed). The speakers do sound well with standard feet which are also more stable.
It is recommended that these speakers be set up with a two-person team. One to occupy the listening position, the other to adjust rake angle and toe-in, and bass adjustments.
The Summits benefit from topnotch front end components. They will reveal shortcomings in source material as well. However, superior recordings sound like superior recordings, nothing added or subtracted.
Once setup is done, you are left with a "state-of-the-art" speaker that rivals the best that is out there.
As with all of the recent ML speakers, the accompanying manual is helpful in guiding setup and adjustment.
Given the expense of this speaker system, I would strongly advise potential buyers to audition in a showroom where the speakers are properly set up and broken-in. The break-in issue is critical due to the woofer properties as noted earlier.

Purchased At:   Read Brothers

Martin Logan Summit Speakers $6000 mint condition

They are awesome.... check em' out here [URL="http://dallas.craigslist.org/ele/287928035.html"]http://dallas.craigslist.org/ele/287928035.html[/URL] I am trying to offset my latest purchase by selling these puppies.... Making room in my wallet and home for some new B&W Nat802's.... finally..... ... Read More »

Intuitive Design Summit Loudspeakers

Please add the following manufacturer to your product listings under the review category of "Loudspeakers": Manufacturer Name: Intuitive Design Manufacturer's Website Address: [url]http://www.intuitiveaudio.com/[/url] Category (DVD Player, Subwoofer, etc): Loudspeakers (monitors) Product Na ... Read More »

I've been to the Summit

One of our local shops had a party to show off the new Martin Logan Summits. Some of the reps were there as well. I've heard several models of ML and I am a fan. But I feel the Summits may well be a new page for ML. They impressed me more than any of the previous models. Some might say they sho ... Read More »