Martin Logan Statement e2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Submitted by Person Personification a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
The speaker sounded very very very good with the associated Conrad-Johnson and VTL equipment. The size is massive and the cost is very high, but they are very good sounding. I would rather spend the money elsewhere and buy some cheaper good ones (like hte Prodigies).

Submitted by Anonymous Audiophile a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the most amazing speaker I've ever heard. It is powered by the Krell kps 25sc, Krell fpb 650mc, and Krell fpb 600 (subwoofer). But most of the time I listen on the VPI with the 12" memorial arm.

As the size and weight of the system suggests, without a dedicated room and patient setup/ fine tuning this system will not shine.

The limitless bass, bass quality and overall integration with the panels is astounding given the complexity of the system. The dynamic range available is heartstopping and, from what I've heard in many demos, surpasses that of the Wilson Slamms by a WIDE margin. Also, the Slamms bass is no match for the Statement E2's 8 7" mid woofers and 8 12" woofers per channel. There is no hardness all through the mid and the very top end. The top is not rolled off like some of the other Martin-Logan's. But I think the most amazing thing about it is the speed, transparency across the entire operating bandwidth and imaging/soundstaging of the system. It never fails to leave you wondering where the speakers went as they are hardly ever detected as the apparent source of the sound.

For what you're getting, (16 12" woofers in cast machined enclosures, 16 7" mid bass woofers and two advanced ESL panels mounted in a heavy cast base with the finest crossover components in the passive section, as well as an outboard active crossover flawlessly executed) there really maybe some value for money considering what the other super speakers out there are offering for the money.

Submitted by James Hogan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
Ive now heard these amazing 2 - piece reference speakers at KJ West One (London Hifi Dealer) on four separate visits, each time being driven by a Krell model 25 CD transport. As an ML music lover I was amazed at the superb sound quality, lightyears ahead of my humble entry level ML home cinema system.

The sound also filled the listening space, there was no discernable sweet spot, and the 600W valve amps driving the higher frequencies (not forgetting the 500W solid state bass tower amps) were able to drive the system to exceptional volume levels without any hint of distortion or hard edge.

Many thanks to the KJ staff for putting up with me, and for letting me try so many different types of music from classical to heavy metal.

Having enjoyed many hours listening to Wilson Watt/Puppy 6 and a short but memorable time enjoying the Wilson X1 I'd say that the Statements MK2 sounded as good as the Massive Wilson's with the benefit of a far larger sound stage for more people to enjoy or for larger rooms. More importantly the beautiful finish on the Statements allows it to pass as a piece of furniture rather than a huge block of speaker, something the Wilson's could never do.

I'd die for a set.... The value rating is hard to judge, except when I remind myself that these speakers are targeted at the super-wealthy who want the absolute best.

Purchased At:   KJ West One, London

Submitted by John Dooley a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I didn't know that this Product was in the AudioReview system until someone wrote about them a hour before. We are writing about the Prodigies, correct? I don't own these rather large and well built speakers, but I listened to them about 2 to 3 times when I was testing out rather to buy an Aragon Sounstage or Theta Casa Nova Pre-Amp. I own the SL3's because I got them at a good price as last years floor model, and then I added the Logos and Scripts later. If I remeber right, at Digital Ear in Tustin CA.; the Aragon Soundstage was connected to Pass Labs Amps (I don't know the Amp number), and then to the Prodgies. While the Theta Casa Nova was connected to the new Theta Amp, and then to Martin Logan Requests in another room. I had to walk back and forth to hear the differences. One problem with my review is that I was comparing Pre-Amps, and not the speakers themselves, but here we go...I remeber when the Prodigies came to Digital Ear; I was surprised that they came in 2 sections, the bottom cabinet with 2 woofers (one forward and one rear firing), the top section being of corse the famous Martin Logan screen. Once put together, the guys at Digital Ear didn't want to listen to them until break in time. A month later I was again in their store, doing the Pre-Amp tests. The sound was balance and sweet, with no flaws to write of with my ears. Even with the 2 woffers, I wasn't "Blown Away with the Bass" as with other speakers. But then again, I listen to mostly Jazz and Clasical music as the main corse, with Rock left in as spice. In other words, what I like about Martin Logan speakers is that I get to hear the Bass notes tones, rather than the THUNDER non singing sound. It was hard to compare to the Martin Logan Requests, because the Theta Casa Nova out played the Aragon Soundstage (see Aragon Soundstage and Theta Casa Nova reviews). Therefore it wasn't the speakers that made the difference, but the Pre-Amp and Amp...which brings up my main question: Are the Prodigies worth the extra size and cost, if all it takes is a better Pre-Amp and Amp with a smaller speaker?

Submitted by Joe Deane a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have owned the 3 speaks above-- none of them match the detail and resolution of the Prodigies, nor do they give as accurate a sound stage. I have not gotten the measure of the Prodigies yet, but so far I would have to say that they probably have no equal until you get above the $20,000 range and maybe not until you get to the $50,000. It is truly a landmark product. I say this as some one who loved both my 7.2 Thiels and my Eidolons-- both of which are much harder to set up that the Prodigies. I will give a progress report in a few months after the Prodigies break in. I have had them only a few weeks. Joe