Martin Logan Sequel II Floorstanding Speakers

4.41/5 (17 Reviews) MSRP : $2995.00

Submitted by TInu Patel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Bottom Line:
I power this speakers by using the nakamichi av-10 receiver and using the carver series II sunfire amplifier at 300Watts. This speakers sound the best. Tight base and crystal highs. The base is well controlled and floor shaking. I think this is possibly the best combination for this speakers. Martin logan allows you to add a little more bass with a +2db switch which i believe makes them slightly boomy, may need this on certain music. I do not need to adjust my tone controls for about 90% of my music. That is they are in the center position. That IS JUST AMAZING. NO ADDED BASS OR TREBLE AND THEY SOUND THE BEST. WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT IN A SPEAKER FOR THIS PRICE? ONE WORTHY NOTE, THE WOOFERS DO NOT ROT OUT LIKE MOST SURROUNDS. THE WOOFERS I HAVE ARE THE ORIGINAL WOOFERS MADE IN 1986. I AM STILL USING THEM IN 2007 WITH NO NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE EACH YEAR. AMAZING.

Purchased At:   retail used store

Submitted by stp0111 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
these speakers, with the right components, are outstanding. one guy in this forum claimed that they have some sort of a bump. he should get better source components. i've a consonance 2.2 cdp, a meridian pre, rogue m-120's and the sequels and they reproduce joni, massive attack, richard goode, and everything else perfectly. get them and get good hardware. they're a steal in their price range. a steal, if you got good equipment (dude).

paid 1600 CAD

Purchased At:   T.O.

Submitted by Colin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've owned my Sequel II's for over 10 years and I've played them in all different environments, with all different types of equipment. A few mods I've made:
1. They CAN rock and the bass is vastly improved by removing the lower half of the metal grill - it blocks too much woofer output. Also, place a sound absorbing baffle between the stat panel and the woofer to limit reflections up into the stator.
2. Replaced the binding posts with the totally copper ones that Enid Lumley used to love so much.
3. As they've aged, the crossover covers have tended to vibrate with loud music and I place a heavy weight (a spare transformer on one side and a 5 lb. scuba weight on the other - I'd use VPI bricks if I had 'em) on the top to damp the buzz.
4. Position, position, position. Try everything - you'll get it right and it'll be sweet.
On the used market (selling for about half of their original price), they can't be beat so I'm giving them 5 stars - about a 4.5 when they were new. I'll give 4 stars for overall rating because there are better speakers out there for not much more money: Soundlab (great used value if you can find them), Thiel, Aerial Acoustics and others I haven't heard.
Martin-Logan provides great support and they'll be around for quite a while yet. They make a solid product which sounds great year after year. I'm keeping mine, they're moving to the rear channels with a CLS II/Entec SW-1 quartet taking over the front.

Purchased At:   2600.00

Submitted by Mark Root a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
Initially I was using a Parasound 2200 amp when I first had them with a Adcom pre. I then moved up to an Aragon 4004 II which gave them much more bottom end punch and the more current, which they definitely need. I also switched to a VTL TL-2 pre which helped smooth them out with it's tubes. Currently I am running them with a VTL 2.5 pre and a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe with MIT cables, which really makes them sing. The DNA is a tighter and faster amp that coupled with the VTL pre is a very nice combo for these speakers. They take all the current you feed them when playing rock and jazz to high levels. I've tried some different amps and cables with them, but always seem to enjoy the VTL/McCormack/MIT combo for my tastes. The tubes in the pre seems to make them seem much more musical and almost magical when listening to female vocalists, acoustic rock, or anything or that nature. My wife and I spend hours upon hours listening to these and don't seem to get ear fatigue. For the money, one of the best used deals I've ever found. You'll spend a lot more to get the same sound you'd get if you can pick them up for 1k or less. I think they're a better sound then maggies until you get to 3.5 or 3.6's, but then we're talking 15 year old technology here, right? I had this pair since 1990, and think they've more than paid me back for my investment. Gayle Sanders makes an outstanding product for my money.

Purchased At:   Stereo Trading Outlet, Phila, PA

Submitted by Iztok a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
Bought them a month ago, Aerius were to weak in bass. These are much better. Sounds perfect with Pink Floyd, classical pieces and movies.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Hifi Shop the Netherlands

Need help. Pairing Martin Logan Sequel II with 4 Watt tube power amp

Hi, I'm new here. So here comes my first question. I have a pair of Martin Logan Sequel II electrostatic loudspeakers. In a few weeks I'll also have two tube monoblocks with 4 Watts output power. The tubes used are 1x300B, 1x6SL7 and 1x5U4 (rectifier). Would it be possible to pair these directly ( ... Read More »