Martin Logan Prodigy Floorstanding Speakers

4.43/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $10995.00

electrostatic/dynamic hybrid

Submitted by sbul2020 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2008

Bottom Line:
The best speakers I have had the pleasure to own, and one of, if not the best, speakers I have heard, period. Open and airy, "box" speakers cannot approach this level of un-coloration. Soundstage is huge, midrange is to die for- very natural with no trace of harshness found in some speakers that make you reach for the volume knob to turn it down. Highs are defined and clear. Bass is great and lacking only the VERY lowest frequencies- not enough to make me turn on my subs for two channel listening. Just freakin' gorgeous! Blue ML logo shining through panel is SOOO cool! Driven with a McIntosh MC352, which seems to be a good match for these. I've owned and listened to a lot of speakers, and as good as they all were they all had some drawback that nagged me. These are as close to my ultimate as I've heard. VERY proud owner!

Purchased At:   private

Submitted by Godisthetruth10 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow, I just auditioned these speakers and man are they impressive. Anoyone who doesnt give these above a 4 is crazy. They were playing through 2 Krell FPB350's (monoblocks). The soundstage was so deep and wide, when the piano started to play it sounded if you could stand up and throw an apple at the pianist and hit him in the head. And the soundstage was so 3 dimensional it was though there was speakers behind me that were playing the ambience in the music. Also they were so transparent and played with such effortlessness that it didnt even seem like they were playing the music. The mids were like satin sheets rapped around you in smoothness. The highs were good but didnt have too many good crisp highs in the recording I listened to. It was smooth jazz. But they were excellent. The bass was very tight and hit me with smooth tight force. If you have the money dont even bother listening to any other speakers. If you want even smoother and deeper sound audition them with a good tube amp. But Krells are some of the finest in the world so. HAH ok

Purchased At:   digital ear

Submitted by cmon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have owned the ML Prodigy's for about a year now and they still make me smile everytime I listen. They do dual duty in my system both home theater and dedicated two channel. My Stereo set-up consists of Sonic Frontiers power2, ARC LS25II, Theta Miles, VPI Aries etc. Surround is Classe' CAV150 and SSP-75 fed by a Sony DVD.
I Listen primarily to two channel music and I auditioned many speakers (Sonus Faber, Maggies, Dynaudio, Ariel) when making my decision. I found nothing with the timbral accuracy, sound staging ability, or dynamics (micro & macro)of these speakers.
I think they sound best with tubes and at least 100 watts. As they all say match with good components or you will not hear how good these speakers really are. They need careful attention to set-up (space away from side and back walls).
By the way I have had zero problems with build quality or performance.

Purchased At:   audio systems

Submitted by Chris M a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the ML Prodigy's after having owned a pair of SL3's. Although the Prodigy's cost quite a bit more they simply kill the SL3's in thier ability to portray large scale dynamics. The bass reproduction and extension are also much better. I am a listener who finds tonal accuracy to be a critical attribute in sound reproduction and these electrostats are the best I have found in that regard. When set-up properly they create a huge 3-D soundstage, musicians seem to be in the room with you. Bass reproduction is fast and tight (and again tonally accurate).
I auditioned Ariel(8b's), Dynaudio Confidence 5's, and Sonus Faber Amati's when making my decision. The Ariel's were seriously lacking, they seemed to have a very large dip in thier frequency response in the upper mid range giving them a very laid back, distant presentation. The highs seemed rolled off, and I got serious port noise when they were playing rock and roll at any kind of loud level. The Dynaudio's sounded great but I thought the ML's soundstaging was better. The Sonus Faber's where beautiful furniture, sounded great but I felt the ML's and the Dyn's sounded better (especially for the $). The ML's may not have the slam that some of the best dynamic speakers do but if you like tonal accuracy, spatial presentation, detail, and a very fast transient response these are your speakers. I am using a Sonic Frontiers Power 2, Theta Miles (bal. version), VPI ARIES w/Grado Statement, Sonic Frontiers phono SE, Audio Research LS 25II, Nordost SPM, and Red Dawn. Also Classe' CAV 150 and SSP 25 for multi-channel. As a side note I have had no trouble with the fit and finish of these speakers. They have worked perfectly from day one. I much prefer tubes than solid state with these speakers.

Purchased At:   Audio Systems

Submitted by tribeman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
I really had a true love-hate relationship with these speakers before I decided to sell them. The bass never blossomed like I expect, despite driving them with 700 watt Classe monoblocks.

Also had "build-quality" problems with the system. Had to have the ELS panels replaced when they began to crinkle in the corners. Also had to have the dealer get new grills due to a glue problem, according to ML. Lastly, one of the logo light switches broke and ML
sent me new ones. ML has been VERY good about warranty items, but the problems were very disappointing.

I believe the pair I had were built very early on. ML has most likely corrected the problems outlined above

Purchased At:   Jobe Systems

ADVENT PRODIGY Speakers, Anyone ever heard?

Anyone know the history of this company? Speaker wise... Are they any good? If someone could give a brief description of this speaker company that would be great. I am thinking about buying some. Thank you, SteveRead More »

well...I got the Prodigy's hooked up...

[font=Times New Roman]After a friend and I picked them up I got them hooked up around noon (yesterday)...these things are B-I-G to say the least..and because they were used break-in time wasn't an issue. I think I played Pink Floyd Animals first...they sounded great but not WOW...I think I've got hi ... Read More »