Martin Logan Odyssey Floorstanding Speakers

4.9/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $6495.00

Electrostatic/Dynamic Hybrid 35 - 22,000 Hz

Submitted by TheMaxx111 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
have had a chance to live with my new used Martin Logan Odyssey’s for a month now. Here is my review. I have always wanted electro stats so I decided to jump on them and I am so glad I did. These are without a doubt the best speakers I have ever heard.

Reading reviews I was hesitating to get them because of some things I kept reading. First, I like lots of music and I really like hard rock and heavy metal. Every review I ever read made it sound like rock music would sound bad on these speakers, well let me tell you that is just not true. Metal music sounds great on these! Second, I thought I would have to only listen to direct to disk HiFi recordings, again not true, these speakers make 128K bps MP3s sound good even acoustically recorded phonograph music, but will really shine on high quality recordings and LPs. These really make drums sound realistic.
I kept reading that you needed your own nuclear reactor to run these; although I have them hooked up to an ADCOM GTA 7400 amp now, they run fine hooked up to my Dynaco 70 35 watt X 2 amp (just not loud). I would highly recommend matching these with a good sub though.

Finally, the small sweet spot. Although they sound even better in the sweet spot, the off axis response is still great.

If you are thinking of getting Martin Logans and were worried about the same things I was, no need to fear, buy a pair!

I really want to joun the ML Owners club but cannot get it to join.

Submitted by AVNUT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Aside from the Prodigy, the Martin Logan Odysseys are the most transparent and detailed speakers I have ever heard. I use them for both home theater and music and they do incredible justice to both. Tonal balance is very accurate, bass is tight, and very well defined. They do an excellent job of reaching even the lowest organ and kick drum passages (although not quite as well as Martin Logan's Prodigys). In my sytem they seemed to take longer to reach their full potential. Even though they are on all day everyday at normal listening levels it took about 6 months for full break in, at which point the bass really blossomed, becoming very deep and impactfull. Imaging is incredible and very well focused.
As many before me have mentioned they will do sound best with high quality electronicsand cables, and they do require patient and carefull set up. They do very well in medium to large rooms, and five feet into the room and three feet from any side walls seems to be the best way to start with set up, (they seem to require very little toe in).
Biwiring is the best way to connect them to your amp, but they will perform at their best when bi-amped.
The Odysseys are hard to beat for the money, if you want better you'll have to step up to the Prodigys. (Which I fully intend to do)!

My system:

THETA CASABLANCA II (w/extreme dacs)
THETA DREADNAUGHT II (5 channel) will add Citidel Monoblocks.
MARK LEVINSON 31.5 CD transport
MARANTZ DVD PLAYER (will upgrade to THETA DAVID II)
MARTIN LOGAN ODYSSEYS (fronts)will move to rear after upgrade to prodigys.
MARTIN LOGAN THEATER i (center)
MARTIN LOGAN AEON i (rears) will be side surrounds.
MARTIN LOGAN DECENT (subwoofer) will add a second and third ML sub.

Submitted by elockett a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
The Odysseys perform better than any other speaker I have owned to date overall (Thiel, older ML's, NHT, etc.). I had the opportunity to compare them against ML Sequel IIs I owned at the time the Odysseys arrived. The Odysseys proved to be more transparent in the midrange and treble (if you can believe that), with better bass control/stat panel integration. It also had better micro and marco dynamics than the Sequel II. In short, when it comes to the aggregate sound of the Odysseys, I can't find a problem with them. My only complaints are minor and relate to cosmetics, not performance:

* I wish the stat panels were a few inches taller so they would sound the same if I listen to them standing up or sitting down.

* The front woofer grill could benefit from some styling improvements

Submitted by kenk93 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
After almost a 2 month break-in period, I continue to be amazed at this speakers broad and accurate soundstage, resolution of detail, dynamics, and presentation of the musical performance at realistic sound levels. I highly recommend horizontal biamping, this made a tremendous difference, as well as spending the time to "dial in" the speakers in your room(get out the measuring tape!)

Purchased At:   Sound Advice

Submitted by DTS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
The reviewer before me hit it right on the head. These are truely remarkable sounding speakers if you match them up with high end eqipment. The ML's clarity and distinct sound separates them IMHO from other manufacturers. They are very hard to drive, for those who have a 100watt receiver you may want to look for another speaker in the ML family (Ascent).

Gersman Sonograms vs Odyssey loreleis/Kismet

Has anyone compared these speakers, they are around the same price range.. Comments?Read More »

Arthur C. Clarke's life was an 'Odyssey' of the mind

By Cesar G. Soriano, USA TODAY [url]http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-03-18-arthur-clarke-obit_N.htm?csp=34[/url] Arthur C. Clarke, the science fiction visionary best known for the groundbreaking 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey, a psychedelic epic of mankind's encounter with never-seen ... Read More »

2001: A Space Odyssey Masterpiece.

In 1968 director Stanley Kubrick released his 3-year in the works film 20[B]01: A Space Odyssey[/B] and the medium, while unprepared, would never be the same. The film itself is a whole lesson on form, style, and structure. It's a film that stands the test of time and has some of the most memorabl ... Read More »

Odyssey Stratos

Anyone out there have experience matching this amp with various speakers? In particular various Proac monitors or Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors.Read More »

Odyssey Extreme Monoblock Amplifiers

Please add a category for this amplifier to the Odyssey range of models listed. Manufacturer Name: Odyssey Manufacturer's Website Address (critical): [url]http://www.odysseyaudio.com/[/url] Category (DVD Player, Subwoofer, etc): Monoblock amplifier pair Product Name or Model Number: Stratos ... Read More »