Martin Logan Ascent Floorstanding Speakers

4.94/5 (33 Reviews) MSRP : $3995.00

Electrostatic hybrid speaker w/10" woofer

Submitted by wjlipham a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
As I noted in a previous review I have owned these speakers for five years and can only say that I am impressed with their performance. I am currently running them with an NAD M3 signature series two channel amp and a ML Descent subwoofer. The sound is amazing and I am glad that I heeded the advice of other people on this site who have posted that I should get a better amp and cables. The difference is profound!
Receiver: NAD Signature M3
Sub: Martin Logan Descent
DVD: Sony DVP-S9000ES
Monitor: Pioneer Elite Signature PRO 101-FD
Blu-Ray: Samsung BD-P3600

Submitted by muzz777 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
The best speaker that I have heard under $4,500. They are outstanding. Unmatched highend and midrange, sounstage etc...
Worth every penny! go listen.

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these as floor demos. The ESL screens had dents in them and ML replaced them with Ascenti panels. Incredible speakers. Lifelife vocals. I installed spikes which tightened up the bass quiet a bit. Initially running them through a 120w Technics receiver and they still sounded good (the Tweeters rep listened and was surprised). I have since upgraded to B&K 200w monoblocks. The bass is stronger and very natural. But not a quantum leap improvement over the receiver. I'm a strong believer in putting your money into your speakers. These speakers amaze me everytime I hear them. I had JBL pro-line monitors and went and listened to B&W 803's and Sonus Faber's. These were the only one's that justified the change.

Purchased At:   Tweeters

Submitted by jwbarney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an update from a much earlier review.

Having had these speaker for over two years now (approaching three), I can say with some authority that these are great speakers. I'm still satisfied--more than satisfied. This product is truly a happy marriage of looks and performance, perhaps ML's best buy for the money.

The bass issue: In reading some of the previous posts, I see some valid concerns re: bass response. In my own experience, after having upgraded my amp to something quite substantial I have absolutely NO complaints about bass response. In fact, the bass response can even be said to be a little on the heavy side.

So, if you notice a lack of bass, I recommend a few things: 1)Upgrade your amp. I use a Classe CA-301, which I highly recommend. Remember, you should spend as much (or more?) on your amp as on your speakers. 2)Use good stuff upstream. That means, pay attention to your source, your cables, your preamp, etc. If there's a weakness upstream, you'll hear it downstream. 3)Once you've upgraded, give it a little time. Both speakers and amps tend to get better with age.

My system (currently)

Happy listening. . .

Purchased At:   Soundworks

Submitted by JGLMeyers a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love my ML Ascents. The detail and soundstage are awesome. The bass is very accurate, and much improved with biwiring using Audioquest Granite. I could hear dramatic improvements with every upgrade in my system. High quality electronics, cables and interconnects are the secret to making these things sing.

Current System:
Audioquest Diamondback interconnects
Denon CD player

Purchased At:   Tweeter

Glass Hammer // Culture Of Ascent

This thread is just for what few proggers are left so you may want to move along.... still here? ok I've never been a fan of this prog band from Tennessee, but they sure are popular. I've always critisized them for being milktoast - not ballsy enough, too artsy-fartsy, poor writing - steller ... Read More »