Martin Logan Aerius Floorstanding Speakers

3.95/5 (75 Reviews) MSRP : $1995.00

8-in woofer, 9 1/2 - in curvilinear electrostatic panel

Submitted by Dileo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers back in 1994, owning them now for almost 20 years.
They were and are just wonderful with their musicality, clarity and three dimensional stage setting (when properly positioned). Yes, they need a good Amp (I am using them since 1996 with a Lindemann amp 2.0) and I am giving them just a little bit help below 40 Hz with a REL Q100 subwoover to increase the stage. For my kind of music (classic, opera, jazz, fusion, mainstream) they are just perfect. I heard new MLs with tube amps, with McIntosh etc., I heard other overwhelming high end combinations - - you know what - I always come back home put on my Logans and just enjoy this unique clarity and warmth of these wonderful speakers.
What a Return of Investment it was already...

Submitted by quimpy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
Having owned the Aerius speakers for over a decade now, I would guess that most of the low reviews (i.e., anything below a 4) given for these speakers are from people who just did not set them up properly, had a defective pair, or never actually owned a pair.

The Aerius speakes are difficult to setup because of their dipole radiation pattern. Also, if not used with the right amplification, they will not sound right. However, with careful positioning and adequate amplification, the speakers offer a transparency that is not easily matched by other more conventional speakers. There is no way that these speakers when properly used would ever sound like a "tin can."

There are some trade-offs. The speakers certainly do not offer much in terms of bass due to the small woofer/cabinet. So music with lots of low frequency will not be given justice. Also due to the directional radiation pattern of electrostatic panels, the optimum listening "sweet spot" is narrow compared to conventional speakers.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   speaker shop

Submitted by peang a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2002

Bottom Line:
I already used this speaker for long time without sub and I agree with all of you this speaker is poor with low bass but when i add a paradigm pw sub this speaker is great.
My system are:
AERIUS SPEAKER
PARADIGM PW 2200 SUB
AUDIOQUEST INTERCONNECT
TARALAB CABLE SPEAKERS
So my conclusion is, if you have aerius speaker buy a sub i guaranted yu'll be
surprise , dont even think to change your speaker it will not solve the problem I SAY AGAIN BUY A SUB !!!!!!!!!!

Purchased At:   jakarta

Submitted by andrea ricci a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Aerious is a wonderfull speaker, with a great sound at a very competitive price. It need great electronics to sound well and, due to its low price, I think that the most of unhappy buyer drive them with commercial amplifiers!! In that case I agree that the sound is not pleasant.

Regarding to the low bass, I would not expect anything more from an 8 inch speaker in a closed box of around 20 liters!!

five stars!!

Submitted by ART a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'll start off by saying that I never thought a high-end piece of equipment could be so unfair to music. Sure, the Aerius look nice in an intriguing way, but they fail miserably as soon as you turn them on. I am not exaggerating when I say they sound terrible. It's as if the sound came out of a can, but worse, since the Aerius cannot even reproduce metallic sound you would hear if you knocked on metal. The bass is poorly distributed, the mids are not fluid, and the overall music presentation lacks smoothness. Highs are missing the tingle of a tweeter, mids have exaggerated echo, and lows extend bass too much. Compared to anything I have heard, these sound miserable. For the price, it's an aberration. Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Aerius. The PSB Stratus Gold i's will give you the most for the least.

Purchased At:   used

SPEAKERS: Aerius i or Contour 1.1?

Hello Friends, I am planning to build home audio system, and need your advice in doing so. Currently, I am looking at 2 sets of used speakers at local stores. The first set is Martin Logan Aerius i (US$ 890), and the second is Dynaudio Contour 1.1 (US$ 670) without stand. Both are not sold in th ... Read More »