Magnepan SS1 Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Austin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
Absolutley the best speaker for the buck. This proves that you dont need to spend over 20,000 dollars just to get a really good sound. I commend the people at Magnepan for giving the oportunity to let anyone listen to these speakers without having to be a millionare. Its a pleasure listening to a speaker with great fidelity knowing that it didnt cost em an arm and a leg.

Submitted by Tom S. a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 1998

Bottom Line:
The magnepan SS1 is about 45 inches tall by 8 inches by 3/4 inch thick. These speakers are dipolar and are intended for use as surround speakers. The speakers can be swiveled in their mounting bracket in order to control the sound or fold flat against the wall.

And now the subjective part:

Once I installed these correctly and adjusted them according to the manual I could not tell where my rear channel was coming from in Pro Logic. The detail of these speakers is characteristic of a magneplanar: very clear and uncolored. I am very satisfied with the performance of these speakers.
For performance in a rear channel I give these speakers 5 stars. For the BULLS**T treatment I had from my snobby dealer (it took them 3 months and 5 visits until they would hook them up for me)I give it 1 star. Overall 3 stars.