Magnepan SMGa Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (40 Reviews)

Submitted by paul jacobs a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2012

Bottom Line:
I found my SMGa's in the trash! Someone had laid them out to the curb with other stuff they were throwing away. My buddy who was driving slowed down when I alerted him, but quickly sped back up and said, ' Aw' you don't want those old office partitions.' I said, 'No! Those are Magnaplanars!' Luckiest find yet. I took them home that night 7 years ago and to my amazement they worked perfect. I had no reference to go by except my equally awesome pair of ADS L-500 I'd bought at a local thrift for $5 each. The first thing I discovered was that in my smallish room of 8'x 10' the SMGa's sounded as if it was like having the medium bookshelf size L-500's in a much larger room, placed back several more feet, and turned up to a nice full volume,but the intimacy of the SMGa's took my breath away. As a musician with a somewhat acute sense of hearing my ear always seeks out the subtleties. The SMG's delivered every nuance from the first listen.
That night I was so pleased I cranked them up and after about an hour of listening I decided to go out in the hall to see how much it disturbed others in the house. As I exited the door and shut it behind me I was shocked at how quiet it was outside of the room with the door shut. That's when it dawned on me that by design these speakers don't operate the same way as conventional speakers in that the larger area of the sound footprint on the SMG's is already in tact as it leaves the surface so in effect it doesn't have to have the same pressure level as a cone speaker with the same sound footprint when it arrives at the listener. This seems to go against the common agreement among users that Magnaplanars take more wattage to get as loud as conventional speakers. Actually this makes sense because by definition the word 'loud' is used to describe the physical intensity of a sound. Since the surface area of the speaker is larger it requires a larger amount of energy to deliver it, or accelerate it, to the ear. This is where it gets very interesting to the audiophile because although there are set scientific ways to describe sound, how it is perceived and ultimately appreciated is entirely in the ears of the beholder. I imagine there are tests that can be made to determine which types of music are more conducive to the pressure levels set forth by said speaker, but again it's subjective.
I play organ. There are as many types of organ music as there are speaker types, maybe even more. So when I listen to the organ on the Magnaplanars I am very pleased because whether it's a big church pipe organ, a theater pipe organ, a Hammond tone wheel organ ( like a B3 & Leslie speaker combination), a Wurlitzer electrostatic reed organ, or even the latest digitally sampled virtual pipe organ played directly through the SMGa's...they all sound great! I've also played my Wurlitzer 4410 electrostatic reed organ directly through the SMGa's and the organ sounds very sweet with every little key click and overtone. Now if I can just figure out how to build a Leslie out of one! LOL

Submitted by daniela a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2012

Bottom Line:
Hi everbody! Sorry but I'm new of the field... A friend of mine finds Magneplanar SMG-a fantastic and he's going to buy a pair of them from a private seller. He needs help but he can't speak English. He can’t find any images of this model in the Internet which are the same as the loudspeakers he is supposed to buy. As he wonders if they could have been changed at least externally in an unsuitable way, he's looking for some photos of the original Magneplanar SMG-a model and would be pleased if you could kindly let me know your opinion and advise on the matter. I don't understand how to publish photos here, so I put some on facebook (Daniela Barbieri, icon orange flower, Marano, Italy)
I thank you very much indeed in advance for your precious help!!!
P.S don't consider product model year, 'cause I don't know it

Submitted by 390amx a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Even before these speakers were refurbished by Magnepan (for less than $200) these SMGa's really sing...one word realism...everything sounds like they should, the kick drum,snares, guitar and bass all sound real and palpable. They really shine with jazz and vocals but holds up well even with head bangin rock n roll. I've tried many speakers in the past and nothing comes close at this price point. It is a wonderful and inexpensive way to get into true "Hi Fi".

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by david sundby a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
very clear and accurate speaker;best i have owned. not for a small or large room. best to be 12' away or more for the drivers to integrate best to have 4'away from rear wall or more. not for headbangers but plenty loud for me

a great bargain on the used market i trie a 70 w 4 ohm amp and it did not cut it
300 watts worked alot better; again, i am not a headbanger and seldomly exceed 85 dbaverage levels.

good for all types of music and upgradable with mods. mine did not buzz or rattle despite thier age

Submitted by david sundby a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2007

Magnepan SMGa mfg date

I bought a used pair about a year ago and was wondering if anyone knew which years these were manufactered.I didn't care for the off white grill cloth and decided to recover them,There was a hand written date on a label marked "stretch date" of 9-16-1993,I thought I read somewhere that this model wa ... Read More »

SMGA Maggies, which amp?

I currently have 2 amplifiers. - Belles Two - McIntosh MC2505 My C36 preamplifier is capable of running 2 amplifiers. I like the way my old Klipsch sound with Jazz, Chicago, Tower of Power, BST, etc... I prefer the Maggies with everything else. I would like to hook both up for different musi ... Read More »