Magnepan SMGa Floorstanding Speakers

4.74/5 (46 Reviews)

Submitted by Keith G a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2017

Bottom Line:
I have had my SMGa's for about 20 years. I bought them second-hand on eBay. They had - and continue to have! - a bit of a rattle in one speaker when the volume is cranked a bit too high. Something I've been meaning to fix for about as long as I've owned them. It's clearly not bad enough to destroy the listening experience in most cases if I've been able to put it off this long.

I just wanted to put my 2¢ in on these because they've been so satisfying to me for so many years. I drive mine with a vintage NAD 3150 integrated amp. My original intention had been been to use the 3150 with my 2150 power amp, each driving a single "side" in bridged mode (125W/ch). Due to an apparent component failure within the 3150 power amp section, this was not possible (never got it repaired!). But I had the 2150 there so I've just been using the 3150 preamp outputs into the 2150, and driving the SMGa's with the 50w / channel that that produces. It has been more than adequate.

My living room is about 12x20 ft, 8.5 ft ceiling height. The speakers are on the long wall, only about 2 ft away from that wall. It was the best I could do given the use of the room.

The realism of the sound is nothing short of remarkable. It always catches my dog off-guard; she's sure that there's someone behind that speaker! And that's the perception that humans have too. If you want something that can magically transport you to another place, listen to a well-made live recording with these. I'm sure the more high-end models provide even more "bang," but for the "buck," in a budget audiophile setup, you'd be hard pressed to do better than these.

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2017

Bottom Line:
Hi,

I'm going to demo a set of these that are listed for sale in working condition... seem to be a decent price too.

The person selling them no longer has them hooked up, I plan to install them in the basement using an old amp that I no longer use... Pioneer Sx6 old 80s receiver... I believe rated at 45w at 8 ohm.

I'm a bit of a noob here, would this amp have enough power to drive these speakers? I listen to pretty much all types of music at a decent volume at home...

Tks!

Submitted by Bob delaney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2017

Bottom Line:
I have used the Magnapan SMG a speakers constantly for over 25 years, and I would never give them up.
Prefer classical music, especially opera, and they have delivered for over a quarter of a century.
Bravo!

Submitted by mike koenig a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2016

Bottom Line:
If you have ever listen to any manapan they are one of the best speakers I have ever heard. I saw a review of these speakers that they lose their sound quality, I have had my speakers for 30yrs they sound great even today. The bass and highs sound so good, if you need more lows buy a subwoofer. When I first bought the mags the sound was good but after a year they started to sound great maybe it took break-in of the mylar plastic. They also pair great with other speakers. The best is they don't sound like a box speaker.

Submitted by gary7 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2015

Bottom Line:
Picked up a pair of SMGa's off Craigslist (Love that site) last week for $50. the tweet wires were good, the mid-bass wires were coming loose at the ends, still sounded fantastic. Fixed the wires. Have them hooked to a re-capped Yamaha P2201, Onkyo P-3060RS preamp, moded Rega Planar 2 TT. Bottom line, Awesome sound. I like these better than my AR9 monster speakers. Wide sound stage, But the do have a sweet spot. They do sound fine on the low end, but I have a powered Velodyne sub to give them just a little more umph at the bottom. I you get a chance to listen to a pair or to buy them, do your self a favor and go for it. IMHO you will never go back to box speakers.