Magnepan SMGa Floorstanding Speakers

4.73/5 (45 Reviews)

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2017

Bottom Line:
Hi,

I'm going to demo a set of these that are listed for sale in working condition... seem to be a decent price too.

The person selling them no longer has them hooked up, I plan to install them in the basement using an old amp that I no longer use... Pioneer Sx6 old 80s receiver... I believe rated at 45w at 8 ohm.

I'm a bit of a noob here, would this amp have enough power to drive these speakers? I listen to pretty much all types of music at a decent volume at home...

Tks!

Submitted by Bob delaney a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2017

Bottom Line:
I have used the Magnapan SMG a speakers constantly for over 25 years, and I would never give them up.
Prefer classical music, especially opera, and they have delivered for over a quarter of a century.
Bravo!

Submitted by mike koenig a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2016

Bottom Line:
If you have ever listen to any manapan they are one of the best speakers I have ever heard. I saw a review of these speakers that they lose their sound quality, I have had my speakers for 30yrs they sound great even today. The bass and highs sound so good, if you need more lows buy a subwoofer. When I first bought the mags the sound was good but after a year they started to sound great maybe it took break-in of the mylar plastic. They also pair great with other speakers. The best is they don't sound like a box speaker.

Submitted by gary7 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2015

Bottom Line:
Picked up a pair of SMGa's off Craigslist (Love that site) last week for $50. the tweet wires were good, the mid-bass wires were coming loose at the ends, still sounded fantastic. Fixed the wires. Have them hooked to a re-capped Yamaha P2201, Onkyo P-3060RS preamp, moded Rega Planar 2 TT. Bottom line, Awesome sound. I like these better than my AR9 monster speakers. Wide sound stage, But the do have a sweet spot. They do sound fine on the low end, but I have a powered Velodyne sub to give them just a little more umph at the bottom. I you get a chance to listen to a pair or to buy them, do your self a favor and go for it. IMHO you will never go back to box speakers.

Submitted by Quadrupp a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2015

Bottom Line:
These Magnepan SMG-a's are truly outstanding dipole flatpanal loudspeakers which sound more spacious than closed-cabinetloudspeakers !!!!! In my 24m2 livingroom they produce a clean livelike sound that never gets boring or tiresome after hours of wellspended listening-sessions. (No more boom-boom bass / droning : what a huge relief) !!

Despite all the hefty widely spread rumours on the internet that "Maggies" would lack bass and that they would sound lean and dull : I must heavely complane / disagree and argue for
the better cause, because it is absolute undefinable rubbish !! With the right powerfull amp &
the right loudspeakercables you are actually in audio-nirvana : wonderfull musicmakers !!

These remarkable magneto's ;-) are in anyway value for money : you will have a hardtime finding a pair of loudspeakers for the same amount of money that will do the trick as good
as these sweet-sounding girls !! These lovely maids put a smile on my face over and over
again untill at last they will outlive me as I will grow old and finally die happy happy happy ;-)

Highly recommended !!