Magnepan MMG Floorstanding Speakers

• Impedance 4 Ohm
  • Dimensions 14.5 x 48 x 1.25

Submitted by FlonFlon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2016

Bottom Line:
I am 50 , system Naim audio 32.5/snaps/250 .

Those are simply the best most affordable speaker in the world ! SILKY SMOOTH MUSIC !
Marilyn Monroe whispering in your ear "I love you" !

Beware don't buy those used , They don't last as regular speaker do . And many owner try to repair them before selling them ! But funny thing ! Even in bad shape they sound better then anything else .

Problem is positioning them in your room , the sound is coming from the front and the back ! they cannot be against a wall .. and they don't like side wall also , they become boomy ( some may like ) . In general I don't care about that problem because I never sit in front of my speakers but try to make them sound good when I am in an other room making diner or working or whatever .

I am totally addicted to the Planar sound for one main reason they are so gentle for my ears ! Making them the perfect speaker for all day long ambience music .

600$ well invested ,, they last to my opinion 10yrs if not exposed to direct sun or overdriven . 60$ per year for the best sound in the world .

Submitted by JAMES RIVERS a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
I am 62 now and had MG II speakers in the 1970's. They sounded incredible in the midrange but they did not have a good treble because the speaker was all planar.I missed the incredible midrange imaging and detailed sound. The mmgs cover all areas except for the very low end. They are an incredible value. I added a SVS sealed subwoofer with a older Emotiva UPA2 and a Emotiva XDA-2. Total cost 1400.00. In all my years with different equipment from Luxman mono tube amps and a Audio Research preamp, hafler etc. and all different high end speakers I have never had a system that sounded this good. The clean tight sound and imaging from the lowest bass to the high end is incredible.I think this is the first time I had tears in my eyes because of the clean sound in a stereo system. It wasn't because of the songs I was playing but the clean sound and imaging that to me was perfect. In today's world with all the distortion outside the house and the brainwashing on the TV, which I quit watching. I have something that I missed for a long time .Sound that is clean and touches my heart.

Submitted by AJ a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
Firstly these are 2016 models, but the model year dropdown doesn't go that high on this blog. I've been intrigued and fascinated by Magneplanar technology for almost 40 years. I wanted the 1.7s, but thought I would try the MMGs as I had not owned this technology before. I got them for my 58th birthday. I've had them for over a week and they blow away everything I've owned in the past. I've had B&W, Polk, AR,JBL, Boston Acoutics, Dahlquist and more. For 600.00, nothing touches these speakers in the value area.

Solid mid-bass and full mid and uppers. Jazz sounds great. Debussy sounds great. Operatic arias sound very good. Instruments, vocals and small ensembles shine. Where it needs help is large orchestral music, Pink Floyd and hard rock with lower bass accompaniment. For Dark Side of the Moon and Pomp and Circumstance March No.1 (Telarc) I had to switch on the Polk SB10 subwoofer.

Speaker placement is essential and you will need to move them and angle them until they fit the acoustics and sitting arrangement in your room. Be forewarned that these speakers are so accurate that they will expose weaknesses in a bad recording such as my old, budget, classical CDs. Secondly, even these little Maggies suck power. Playing Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd at moderately loud levels finally pushed my Crown xli 800 to blink it's clipping LEDs occasionally - we are talking about a high-current amp that can push out 300 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

The more I listen to these speakers, the more I fall in love with them. I am definitely going to get their bigger brothers for my retirement house and I may even keep these for the bedroom. I think my NAD high currrent amp just arrived from eBay - yep it's the Fedex lady. I forgot how much I love Bolero. That piece of music is the perfect test for these speakers. Thank you Magnepan.

Submitted by KT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
Simply put, if you don't give these speakers 5/5 you need your hearing checked. The bass is a bit muddy and the speakers don't have super loud output, but for $599 brand new nothing is even close to them. Specially if you add in a nice little subwoofer to them.

Keep in mind how close these are to the wall will have a huge impact on brightness, and reflection sound. Just try and get them out around 2-3ft from the wall, and you can't go wrong.

Submitted by jlg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2015

Bottom Line:
Loudspeakers can only be evaluated by reference to OTHER loudspeakers, in my experience. I own ProAc Response 1SC, Neumann K310, and Mackie HR 824. The mid high frequencies (I mean female voice, guitar, violin, clarinet, trumpet, etc.) are as clean as any of the above, save perhaps the Neumann 310s, which are 5k a pair. There isn't much usable low end, obviously. And the low mids (tenor and bass male voice, cello, bass, etc.) are weak. But a properly mated, very, very clean subwoofer might solve that problem. For voice alone, these are superb. So you might get the Mackie HR 824 experience out of these (the flat but powerful bass) with the right sub.