Magnepan MMG Floorstanding Speakers

• Impedance 4 Ohm
  • Dimensions 14.5 x 48 x 1.25

Submitted by AJ a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
Firstly these are 2016 models, but the model year dropdown doesn't go that high on this blog. I've been intrigued and fascinated by Magneplanar technology for almost 40 years. I wanted the 1.7s, but thought I would try the MMGs as I had not owned this technology before. I got them for my 58th birthday. I've had them for over a week and they blow away everything I've owned in the past. I've had B&W, Polk, AR,JBL, Boston Acoutics, Dahlquist and more. For 600.00, nothing touches these speakers in the value area.

Solid mid-bass and full mid and uppers. Jazz sounds great. Debussy sounds great. Operatic arias sound very good. Instruments, vocals and small ensembles shine. Where it needs help is large orchestral music, Pink Floyd and hard rock with lower bass accompaniment. For Dark Side of the Moon and Pomp and Circumstance March No.1 (Telarc) I had to switch on the Polk SB10 subwoofer.

Speaker placement is essential and you will need to move them and angle them until they fit the acoustics and sitting arrangement in your room. Be forewarned that these speakers are so accurate that they will expose weaknesses in a bad recording such as my old, budget, classical CDs. Secondly, even these little Maggies suck power. Playing Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd at moderately loud levels finally pushed my Crown xli 800 to blink it's clipping LEDs occasionally - we are talking about a high-current amp that can push out 300 watts/channel into 4 ohms.

The more I listen to these speakers, the more I fall in love with them. I am definitely going to get their bigger brothers for my retirement house and I may even keep these for the bedroom. I think my NAD high currrent amp just arrived from eBay - yep it's the Fedex lady. I forgot how much I love Bolero. That piece of music is the perfect test for these speakers. Thank you Magnepan.

Submitted by KT a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
Simply put, if you don't give these speakers 5/5 you need your hearing checked. The bass is a bit muddy and the speakers don't have super loud output, but for $599 brand new nothing is even close to them. Specially if you add in a nice little subwoofer to them.

Keep in mind how close these are to the wall will have a huge impact on brightness, and reflection sound. Just try and get them out around 2-3ft from the wall, and you can't go wrong.

Submitted by jlg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2015

Bottom Line:
Loudspeakers can only be evaluated by reference to OTHER loudspeakers, in my experience. I own ProAc Response 1SC, Neumann K310, and Mackie HR 824. The mid high frequencies (I mean female voice, guitar, violin, clarinet, trumpet, etc.) are as clean as any of the above, save perhaps the Neumann 310s, which are 5k a pair. There isn't much usable low end, obviously. And the low mids (tenor and bass male voice, cello, bass, etc.) are weak. But a properly mated, very, very clean subwoofer might solve that problem. For voice alone, these are superb. So you might get the Mackie HR 824 experience out of these (the flat but powerful bass) with the right sub.

Submitted by howard grossman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
Just listened to the MMG's at Lyric sound in NYC. Based on all the great reviews MAJOR disappointment. Harsh un musical sound with a very artificial aggressive mid- range . Yes they are $600 speakers but from the reviews they sounded like they should be able to walk on water. From Opera to Rock they sound harsh, artificial and fatiguing. BUT, BUT wait I asked to hear the next model up the .7's THOSE ARE THE ONES YOU WANT. Save up some more money and buy those and you will have speakers that actually sound like the all the reviews for the MMG's. I'm buying a pair of the.7's next week. Just for fun A/B'd them against a pair of $2000 B&W CM 6's no comparison the .7's with well produced material makes sound you can fall into.

Submitted by MSL Lochbuie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
Quite simple. For $599, the audio steal of a lifetime. In recordings that I knew so well, I now
have listened and heard intricacies and nuances I never need existed in them. Amazing soundstage, accuracy, and clarity. Don't think should I? Do it. Your reward will be a listening
experience that you have yearned for. Simply amazing.