Magnepan MG10.1 Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $1175.00

Submitted by saum a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
Is this a joke? These speakers create a soundstage that is totally unbelievable. Hear Live to Tell by Madonna - a common song easily found, and wait for the time she breaks (before she starts singing 'if i ran away...' the sound (similar to the wind) will go through your head circling you. You'll never be able to tell yourself that there aren't 15 rear speakers behind you. They're so good.

I particularly like the 10.1s because of their size and quite frankly they look really amazing especially when compared to the big bulky larger Magnepans.

Don't know about the amplifier requirements others talk about because I power them with a Rotel 1090 which is 380 watts*8 ohms per channel. Sure the mid treble was a bit unresolved (compared to the B&Ws I had earlier) but that was resolved with a capacitor upgrade. Also, simple things like bypassing the fuse add so much more to the sound.

The speakers resolve so well that you can make out cable differences, bi-wiring differences; virtually any changes in your equipment.

Sure there isn't a very strong hit with things like snare drums etc. but the treble is so beautiful and revealing that I am not really sure if there exists better sound within a few thousands of Dollars.

A subwoofer is required and I would recommend a small 8 inch sub with a fast driver rather than a big one.
Also may underplay just a few mid bass frequencies but you have to listen really hard to make out.
Overall a super speaker.

Submitted by Excaliburn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2009

Bottom Line:
A great value, if you can find a used pair in good condition. The imaging is exceptional for the price and the highs and mids are crystal clear. They have much of the "Maggie sound" in a much more compact size and aesthetic shape. If you're used to standard speakers, the imaging will blow you away. (On Moby Grape's "Changes," I swear that I can hear vocalists to my left and rear. It's not acoustic reflection from the rear wall...I checked. It first, I was convinced that I had somehow connected my rear theater speakers to the system. It's THAT clear.)

A few caveats, though....

1. Do the crossover mods with SoniCaps and a better inductor. Much clearer after after just 40 hours burn-in.

2. Positioning is tricky. The horizontal and vertical dispersion are quite limited. You WILL have a sweet spot in your room for listening. Keep them about 18" - 20" from the walls and experiment a bit. Just standing up from my listening chair ruins the imaging.

3. You will need a subwoofer, unless you just don't care about bass. I use two M&K MX-70Bs and I'm pretty happy. I cross them at about 80 Hz using an M&K LP-1S high-pass filter and the integrated low-pass filters on the subs. Some listeners say you should cross these at closer to 100 or 120 Hz, but the LP-1S works fine for me.

4. Bypass the tweeter fuse. You don't really need a tweeter attenuator resistor unless your room is really hard. A typical listening room won't be that hard.

5. Give them plenty of power. I use a solid-state amp, but I'm aching to hear them with tubes.

My system is not audiophile-quality (Adcom GFA-555II power amp with the M&K subs) but the difference the MG 10.1s made is truly significant. My old DefTech BP-20s are now sitting in the corner.

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd pair of maggies. I have owned mmgs and 1.6s in the past as well as many other brands. This pair is the most satisfying. They are easily "Tweaked" by removing the back plate crossover and sand that is in the bass, replacing it with lead shot and building your own crossover with high quality caps, 14ga copper coil (maggies is steel, and high quality wire wired directly to the panels and crossover. This also bypasses the cheap nickel plated speaker terms and fuse. The change in the speaker is nothing short of amazing. The resolution and detail surpass the 1.6s. The clarity and seperation of instruments increases as well as the soundstage. Many people have moded the 1.6s, I can imagine how they sound with the cap/coil upgrade. I highly recommend the stock 10.1s (they are very underated, too bad magnepan stopped making them)but moding them takes them to the next level and is well worth doing.

No speaker gives you that open, airey sound as a magnepan.

Submitted by Maurizio Petracca a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
My hardware: Aristom Turntable+Mayware+Linkk K9, Preamp. Beard Ca35, Poweramp. Beard P35, G&BL cables.
Maggies sond very well using high power amplifiers, let's say at least 100+100 watt, tubes are better than solid state using MG10.
Subwoofer is mandatory (Velodyne is a good choice)
and the home postitioning is quite critical.
Not too close to walls (at least 1/1,5 meters) not to far
(no more than 2 /2,5 meters), otherwise medium/bass frequencies are not correctly reproduced.
The soundstage is very good and natural using high quality hardware. MG10 should be positioned in order to maintain tweeter in the center and use the resistor to control highs.
Very nice to see and listen to, if you have high power amp and can dedicate the space that they nedd.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by Ben Schielke a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 1999

Bottom Line:
Impressive...Most impressive.

I got a pair of these on demo from Definitive Audio in Seattle (BTW, Great shop... ask for Leigh) I was initially looking at some linn speakers (kelidth). I saw the 10.1's in the corner and asked to compare them to the linn's. The linn's are a fantastic speaker mind you, but these Magnepans can really rock! I was blown away by the image that they presented, needless to say I took them home that day for a trial run.
At home, a quick setup and listen revealed that I was now a proud Maggie owner. They sounded great! My system is:
Pre/Amp: Linn Majik
CD: Onkyo DX-7210
Cable: Kimber 4TC
Sub: HSU VTF-2 (Great sub)