Magnepan MG-.6 Floorstanding Speakers

4.92/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $995.00

2 way planar/quasi-ribbon w/420 sq in. woofer, 52in. ribbon

Submitted by GM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2013

Bottom Line:
These speakers deliver a large soundstage. That's probably the first thing you will notice. Then the midrange will grab you. Just play some female vocals, preferably jazz, and you'll know what i mean. The sound is effortless.

While the Maggies benefit from powerful amps, I've played them using a 40 watt single ended Golden Tube Audio SE40 Special Edition and it sounded fine. I've also used a 50 watt Wadia 151 PowerDAC Mini and it sounded fine too. i used to own an MGIIB and the sound was easily recognizable as having the same sonic signature.

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2013

Bottom Line:
I own the .....5QRs .. fantastic speakers...as a professional musician I know what it sounds
like to sit in an orchestra , big band, latin band, rock band.. and nothing is as true to life
as the Maggies. I also own the Vandersteen 2ci 's which are very good and have better bass
extension and even hint at the soundstage of the maggis, but its just a hint, the maggies have the edge in realism.

Submitted by perry2010 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
Best speakers for the money, I paid 300 used. un bleiveable sound quailty
Sound image- 5 stars
Clarity.............5 stars
Qquailty..........5 stars
Size...............nice, move easliy and eveyone slse is spot on you have to place these exact, stand up or move to far left or right and its off, right on and its nirvana.......
Bass I think is ok, but mostly listen to guitar- blues, jazz- fusion, rock and guitar works, the reproduction of piano's is amazing,so is classical-
hard rock and anyhting else not your speakers, but they should be!
look forward to buying a set of 1.7 maggies soon!

Submitted by GentleGiantfan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
These started life as 0.5QRs and were modded by the 1st owner to 0.6QR specs. After a couple months use I sent them to Magnepan for a complete factory re-build (delaminated wires) for about another $300. So for about the price of the MMGs, I have the "father" of the MG12. I did not replace the woodwork "wings" so the bass probably suffers a little, but they fit my room better now.

Maggie is a somewhat fussy & demanding mistress; placement is critical, WAF is low, and she likes current, LOTS of current! If you can supply her with these needs, she'll give you what you need ... a fantastic eargasm.

There's nothing I've heard for 2x - 3x the money (except the 1.6QRs) that I would ever think of replacing these for. I even prefer them to the TOL Martin Logans, which I find TOO analytical, fast and precise. Sure, the ML's are impressive, but they sound "artificial" to me. Kinda like the difference between Lps and CDs.

I love showing (sounding?) them off to people that have never heard Maggies or decent audio before. I've had quite a few jaws drop.

Purchased At:   1st owner

Submitted by pete a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wrote an earlier review on the 0.5QR and gave it a 4 out of 5 simply because I believe that there are better speakers out there, notably the larger Maggies, which go lower in the bass.

Well, I have not done the 0.6QR mod yet, but I have to submit this review to balance the score that I gave in my earlier review. 4 out of 5 seems low to me; they are much better than an 80% score would indicate, so I am giving them a 5 out of 5 on this review to end up with a 90% score overall. Truth be told, I feel that they are even better than that, considering that I have finally found a placement that produces wonderful bass, that I do not find to be lean AT ALL but that is excellently defined. I listen to a lot of pipe organ, and I find them eminently satisfying for all but the absolute lowest notes, which I don't seem to miss because the ones that I can hear sound so great. The placement is about 6 inches from the side walls, and about 4.5 feet from the rear wall. These things are great!

Purchased At:   used