Magnepan MG 2.7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (37 Reviews) MSRP : $1995.00

620 square-in woofer, 170 square-in line source midrange and 1/8 x 60 ribbon tweeter

Submitted by wmueller a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I purchased the MG 2.7 QR speakers new over 12 years ago. This is the third pair of Magneplaners that I have owned; The first being a used pair of MG1's, then MG1.5's and now the 2.7 QR's. The 1.5's had poor bass response so I upgraded to the 2.7's. At the time of purchase the 2.7's had the same woofer panel as the 3.x (I've forgotten what rev they were back then). I viewed the 2.7's as a much better value play with the same bass response as the 3's and still going past 20 KHz with the quasi-ribbon tweeter. I like the detail, immediacy and sound stage of Magneplaners.

However, I must warn anyone considering the purchase of any Magneplaner that there is a significant problem endemic to the design concept of the Magneplaner, that being longevity. Of the 3 pairs of Magneplaners I have owned, 2 of them have had their serpentine wires come loose from the diaphragms over time. I have discovered that this is not uncommon to Magneplaners. The glue that they use to adhere the wires to the diaphragm degrades over time. I ended up paying $850 (including shipping) to have my 2.7’s “re-wired”.

I know of no other loudspeaker design that has an inherent flaw like this. I am disappointed that, after 30 years, Magnepan has not found a solution to this problem. I fully expect that, 10 years from now, I will have to send my 2.7’s back again for rewiring. No doubt, many Magneplaners will never have this problem but far too many of these speakers do, making the probability of wire separation too high for a speaker costing thousands of dollars. Thus, I have decided that when this problem occurs again, I will search for a new non-Magneplaner speaker - unless it has been proven to me that Magnepan has solved this issue. Magnepan needs to get up off its laurels and fix this problem.

Submitted by loveshy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
2.7 ... I really don't know how magnepan comes up with model numbers because the 3.6R's do not sound as good/warm as the 2.7's. I will never ever own another type of speaker. Magnepan has made the only speaker that actually 'speaks' !! I have owned 2.7R 2.0's 1.6QR, 3.6R, MMG's & MGMCa's... These will probably be replaced by the 20.1's that cost $10 grand a pair. There's nothing that sings sweeter than a Magnepan speaker no matter what the model number. As always, these require a massive amp and I use 2 EV7300A stage amps (600W RMS @ 8 ohm each) - This allows some headroom which these speakers will appreciate the most.

Purchased At:   EBay

Submitted by bbchem a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Having had over 50 different speakers, including apogees slant 6 and martin logan cls twice, all I can say when live was what I wanted nothing compares to thes Maggies

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Tony Galvez a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Mats Hansson is absolutely right when he paired his Maggies 2.7 with the Electrocompaniet AW250 R and the Electrocompaniet EC 4.5. This pairing is magic.

Bass is tight and with authority if partnered with a powerful amp like the Electro AW 250R.

My front end is a Project Perspective with a Clearaudio Sigma cartridge and a Musical Fidelity phono stage. My cables are QED Silver Spiral.

The Maggies 2.7 is fantastic. Soundstaging and Imaging are great. Midrange is a killer.

Purchased At:   Audio Den, Philippin

Submitted by Cary a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I had been wanting a pair of MG 2.7s since 1996, but it was not until last year that I have the financial means to aquire them. I have spent
extensive time listening to the 1.5, 1.6 & 3.5's and have always liked the 2.7 the best. The 1.5 and 1.6 are to thin sounding for me, and the 3.5 was always a bit to bright.
The 2.7 is a very coherent speaker that speaks with one voice. Also they are warmer than other maggies making them less analytical and more musical (in my book at least).
Imaging is decent but not like a minmonitor, dynamics are good, but they like a lot of power to really sing. I highly reccommend them and would not trade them for any other speaker
except the Vandersteen Model 5.

System: Pioneer DVD-525 transport, Cardas High Speed Digital Cable, Bel Canto 1.1 DAC, Wireworld Equinox III+ interconnects, Adcom GFp-750 pre-amp, Adcom GFA-5500 amp, Wireworld Oasis III+ speaker Cables, and a Velodyne ULD-12 Subwoofer

Purchased At:   Audiogon