Magnepan MG 1.5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (26 Reviews)

Submitted by FbernardL a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I brought these to replace my Polk Audio RT7 as my main listening speakers for music only. Nice improvement in the openess and the clarity of the music. everyone who hears the speakers are amazed at the sound. I listen to Jazz and the reproduction is very good, if gives you the sense that you are right there with the muscians. the only problem, they require alot of space and must be set up properly for the best sound. One of the best speakers I have heard and would recommend to any one who listens to acoustic music, limited bass however you can always add a quality sub with it

Purchased At:   on line

Submitted by slbenz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a great value in used planar speakers available. Soundstage is large with depth and height to instruments and vocals. Very detailed speakers which can easily position instruments and vocalists. Very well balance with excellent mid and low bass output contrary to what others might say about Magnepans. More output than my Magnepan 0.5s for mid to low bass. Only downside is that the mids could be a little bit richer but this is only being picky. Other than that, strings, percussions and bells are very realistically reproduced with life-like realism. Very happy with the performance of these speakers. As quick but better integrated to my subwoofer than Martin Logan and Eminent Technology that I used to own.

Purchased At:   Former Original Owne

Submitted by ecruz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've listened to a lot of speakers over the years. When I saw Magnepan's "offer you can't refuse" buy the MMG's direct and try them out, if you don't like them send them back, I had to give it a try. I was REALLY impressed with this $550 speakers. But there was nothing under about 55 hz. So I bought a sub. Never could get it interated just right. But I liked the Maggie sound so much that I couldn't go back to a "box" speaker. So I started looking for a used pair of 1.5's. Well I've owned these for about 2 months now and all I can say is "Holy Smokes!". This is without a doubt, the most realistic, musical system I have ever heard in my house and maybe anywhere. The soundstage is HUGE, the music just flows. They are very detailed, very tight, very dynamic and the bass, while not the lowest(down to about 40 hz in my room), is by far the most accurate, quickest, realistic bass I've heard. The detail from a standup bass or bass drum is scary real.

To sum it up these speakers are AMAZING! I would suggest everyone try them at least once in your life.

The more power you can throw at them, the better they sound. They sound best, in my room, about 4 ft from the front wall.

Purchased At:   Used

Submitted by tominator a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
Well I will not throw a bunch of ear pleasing words at you to make me feel better about my knowledge of the English lanquage or impress you with the stereo jargon to make you think I know all about HI-FI, well I don't, but I do know what sounds awesome,outstanding, great,good,alright and like crap!!What I will say is find a set and listen to them, I think you will love the sound from them, espescially with a hi end sub!!I have had some really great spkrs in my time and these are right at the top!! PSB Gold I, Vandees 3A, VMPS 40's Theil 1.6, Martil Logan's, Klipsch, James, to name a few, and I've listened to many great spkrs that in the stratosphere in cost, my are the 1.5qr model's with a Hotrod upgrade with Cardas wiring threw out and Kimber Caps, made a great spkr sound awesome!! Alone these are the best value I feel under $2000, but remember you better have an amp the has alot of current output!! I use a Cinepro amp and I will state here and now I will put my amp up against any amp out there that cost under $5K,and I beleive you will agree that the Cinepro amps are the biggest sleeper in the audio industry!!These sound amazing for the price!! I've had Krell, Aragon, Adcom, Carver,Sunfire, Bryston, Mac's and alot more, when I got the Cinepro I stopped looking for Amps!! Great match with the Maggies but Cinepro will drive anything out there!! Cinepro boast's they make the most powerful amps in the world and they sound unbelievable, but enough about that!! Go grap a pair of Maggies 1.5,1.6, 2.5,3.6's and you will never go back to a cone spkre again!! Best bargains out there for overall performance to dollar ratio, bar none!! Prove me different babe!!

Purchased At:   Very Highend store i

Submitted by brutuscz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have had my maggies for over 3 years and would like to clear up some issues people are writing about. I origionally had mine set up with a low end technics receiver and cheap wire, I now have them with a higher end yamaha receiver, monster thx rated wire and a new klipsch subwoofer. So, I can give a full, honest review. When set up with inferior wire, and a low end receiver...that s sound problem is present. This is the speaker showing a weakness in the rest of your system..NOT in the speaker itself. With a good setup, these speakers are amazing!!! They are so perfectly clear, that you feel as though you are in the studio with the musicians!!! I cannot stress how important a good receiver and wire are to the sound of these engineering marvels. Get these and you will never enjoy music from a box type speaker again. Also...Use the bipole setup!! It makes a huge difference as well. The only downside of these speakers is the lack of really deep base. A subwoofer is practically a requirement. Set your low setting to 40-50 on your subwoofer. Your subwoofer should be quick to keep up with these speakers...no low quality thumper!!! Any reviews you have read that even mention a funny s-sound at the end of a singers word...disregard..They have these speakers connected to crap, with lousy wire!! Hey, I did too for a while..but now, I hear what I have been missing!! If you are even considering these speakers..then get them..they are worth every penny!!

Purchased At:   lyric audio NYC