Magnepan MG 1.4 Floorstanding Speakers

4.87/5 (15 Reviews)

Planar Speaker

Submitted by Melvin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have had these speakers new after having traded in my old MG 1 during the late 80s and have been providing me with endless hours of music and great sound. My room is not small nor large and the bass response is amazing. Bass sounds huge and tuneful and articulate. Soundstage is awesome and vocalists seem to fill the room with the rest of the band. The same can be said with all types of music. It reproduces amazing realism.

I listen to jazz,pop,orchestral, classical, rock from Diana Krall, Ella, Louis Armstrong, Sade, Whitney Houston,G Benson,Yellowjackets,Bob James, Earl Klugh, Pink Floyd,Keb Mo,Art Pepper,Miles Davis,Bebu Silvetti,The Eagles, and many more.

These speakers are driven by Classe 30 preamp and Classe 70 amp which is rated at 75 watts per channel with ease. This amp/preamp combination sounds powerful and brings out the best in these speakers and create a huge soundstage with lots of detail and musicality especially via vinyl playback such as my Linn LP12 Ittok Lingo. Also sounds very good with good cd recordings. The sounds emanating from these speakers are so good that it becomes addictive that one can listen for hours on end.

Submitted by B. Neiman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Bottom Line:
I visited a local hi-end audio shop that I'm familiar with, with the intention of auditioning a pair of 1.7QRs to replace a pair of B&W 705s that will be moving on to home theater duty.

When I got there, the speakers were already set up and I settled into a comfy chair to run through several high quality music recordings. They sounded fantastic!

I got up and left the room to browse through the consignment sales area at the back of the store, like I always do. That's when I spy a pair of Magnepan speakers leaning against the back wall. I inquired if they were used and if they were on consignment, and the owner of the store confirmed that they were. I asked, just out of curiosity, if he could set them up in place of the 1.7QRs that I had just finished listening to. Five minutes later, the 1.7s were moved off to the side and these older, used ones (MG 1.4s) were now occupying the space.

I ran through the same songs I listened to not minutes before and I was shocked! I was expecting the difference to be night and day, given the reviews I had seen on the 1.7s and the difference in age between the two, and the technology that had developed since the 80s when they were designed and built. I won't lie and say I didn't hear any difference, because I did. The thing is, the difference was far, far less than I would have expected. The sound stage was still huge, the details were there and vocals were sweet. I would say the bass was even better in the 1.4s than the 1.7s, but I guess that could be attributed to the fact that the diaphragm had been stretched in the old ones from years of use and they were still tight in the new ones.

Given the large price difference between the two, and the narrow difference in sound quality, my decision to purchase was a no brainer.

I brought them home, set them up and they sounded amazing. Then I started reading up on older Magnepans. I found out that many of them experience problems with the wires lifting up and need to be re-glued. My heart sank!!!! I thought I made a huge mistake, and even though they still sounded fantastic, I still thought that I had thrown my money away.

I couldn't just let it go, so I decided to pull off the coverings to check things out. It turned out that they were in perfect condition! I just got new "socks" from Magnepan sent to me and I put them on to replace the ones I had taken off and they look great. I even changed the color from the old white fabric to a newer modern white version!

The only negative thing I can say about these speakers is that I'm kicking myself for not having listening to them and owning a pair much sooner! I'd been missing out on the "Maggie" experience for so long and now know why their owners gush over them so much.

Submitted by fde a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
they are very very good loudspeaker, very to detail, very fluid, very good soundstage, if it are well to place. the users manual is necessary:).
the legend that these loudspeaker is difficult with amplifier is false.
it functions as well on mark levinson as with small amplifier of good quality.

Submitted by KitR a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
Have hankered after Maggies since hearing a pair of SMGa's in an Audio store. These came up, and although the room I use them in is a bit small and the wrong shape, I was able to manoeuvre them to sound WONDERFUL! My anti-audiophile girlfriend was AMAZED! They just aren't there soundwise and although are best suited to classical orchestral works, are VERY respectable with progressive Rock; plus EXTREMELY articulate in the Bass and midrange. But my ST"210"(140mkII) is definitely pushed power wise. But The B&K and Maggies feel synergistic and utterly beguiling on practically everything, such that said girlfriend's "romantic slush" 45rpm records from the 50's & 60's are getting almost as much play as MY MUSIC! Now that's what I call a DOWNSIDE! Trade-n time - girfriend I mean - NOT the Maggies! If you can find a pair and you've got good quality/powerful equipment/amplification, buy em! I did and am DEELIGHTED!

Purchased At:   Private purchase

Submitted by audiojunkie23 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
Simply amazing for what little i paid for these. I've had these for about 2 years now and have yet to find a reason to replace or upgrade them. This particular pair had been recently refurbed by Magnepan about a year before i purchased them, installing new driver panels, so essentially they were only one year old. So based on that i cannot really comment on the durability. What i can say about these is that they produce a great soundstage with the proper input. I have read that they are rather power hungry. I have found that they respond well to tube amps. I am currently running mine with a 60wpc Jolida amp, which mates well with the maggies. What I have discovered over the past years in expirementing is that they are quite sensitive, in terms of exposing poor inputs and cables. A clean signal is a must.
As for bass response, these work pretty well down to their limit, about 40hz. Yet this is rather room dependent, i currently have them in a 18x16 room and they sound fantastic. At one point i had them in a room about twice that size and the bass response reduced dramatically, and my amp could not keep up. In comparison to the 1.6QR (which i had borrowed from a friend), these actually seem a bit better with respect to bass response. Only in the upper end of the frequency range did i notice much of a difference.
Overall these are great speakers for what i paid for them, or even double that. I have yet to experience another speaker near their price range to compete.(outside of the magnepan line)
Soon I will test them in a home theatre application and see how they perform, and how efficient they are with my Marantz SR-19

Current system:
Jolida 502b, mullard tubes
Pioneer DV-09(great transport)
Signal Cable: Speaker wire, rca's and power cable.
Monster HT3500 power conditioner(want a better one)

Purchased At:   Audiogon.com