Madisound Solo A/V Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Don't waist your money on name brand speakers. With all five A/V having the same quality of crossover components is what makes this system hum. Puting your money in the crossover is were it counts. Yes; and the Vifa speakers are no slouch either. I listen to all the name brands, just like every body does, so just order and you will be happy. and if you blow a woofer are tweeter you now were to order the replacement part.. I choose the softdome tweeter for me, I like soft dome better than hard dome. I mail order this A/V kits with out hearing them and I have never regretted it once. Great value for there size.
check out there other kit also.
MY system

YAMAYA RECIVER

Purchased At:   Madisound.com

Submitted by JS a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Madisound Solo represents an excellent value in a speaker. It uses high quality Vifa woofers and tweeters, with well designed crossovers and components. You won't find superior parts in most commercial speakers until you start paying $1500 to $2000 or more.
If you buy the cabinets from Madisound, a stereo pair will run you about $350, which is a bargain for what you get. All you have to do is take a couple evenings to put the parts together, and another 20 or so hours of break-in time. Mate these with a subwoofer and you have a speaker system that has to be heard to believed. The imaging and tonal quality are superb, and this speaker also makes an excellent center channel speaker in a HT setup.
Do yourself a favor, skip over the commercial garbage that's out there now (Bose, most Infinity, JVC, most JBL, KLH, Cerwin Vega, etc, etc) and put a pair of these together. It's alot easier than it sounds, especially with the already made cabinets, and treat yourself to some high quality sound. You'll be amazed at all the sounds you were missing in your favorite CD's after you listen to a pair of these. Highly recommended, especially if you get the sealed version and mate them with a subwoofer. Also, buy them with the Vifa D25ASG tweeter, it's the best of the two tweeters they offer.

Purchased At:   www.madisound.com

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Bottom Line:
I researched on the internet, and at the typical hi-fi retail outlets for about two years looking for loudspeakers to replace, and improve upon the monsters I built more than twenty years ago. Although there has not been any Earth- shattering improvements since then, there has been gradual incremental improvements over time that have added up to a very obvious sound quality improvement per dollars spent since then.
I'm here to tell you that there is a lot more crap out there now than there was twenty years ago. This means if you want some bang for your buck you better do your homework, because if you don't, you're gonna end up with the same tin can sound your neighbor has, but with a different name on it. I wanted a real improvement in sound, and not a fancy name. This leads me to suggest an alternative to almost every so-called big-name American speaker sold at nearly every big-name corporate chain retailer in big city America.
The internet offers an alternative in the form of Madisound. They are an internet retailer whose expertise goes far beyond anything corporate retail chain accounts have to offer. Check 'em out. They are a service oriented outlet. Gee, does that sound odd?
I purchased a pair of their Solo kits. This kit includes everything one could possibly need except the boxes. I purchased pre-built boxes from SpeakerCity on the internet. It took me about an hour to put them together, and the next day, well, I was blown away! If I was wearing a skirt......, well, I'd have looked like Marilyn Monroe standing on a street vent in New York City. I'm glad I don't wear skirts. Anyway these speakers measure 12" by 8" by 10"(heighth-width-depth), and are shielded. They use Danish drivers (best in the world).
These are small but potent little units, and require a subwoofer for use in larger rooms, or for those who like to rattle the roof. For those who require the lowest octave bass should consider the "sealed" Solo's since they're easier to integrate with a subwoofer, as opposed to the ported units which offer more lower bass. The Madisound Solo's are at their best after properly "broken-in", which requires at least twenty hours of very loud, and demanding music. But, I'm here to tell you, I'm definitely a skeptic whose panties are in a wad! These little speakers not only look great, but sound awesome. I've exhausted my CD collection, and have discovered details and nuances in my vinyl collection I never new existed.
Two of my three cats have often freaked depending on what music I'm playing. The other older cat must be half deaf. But my Akita has actually barked at my speakers! Admittedly, I do listen to a lot of acoustic Jazz, and other percussion dominated music. But, Akitas were bred to be "silent hunters", and rarely bark. He must be clearly hearing sounds I don't, which is a testament to these little speaker dynamo's. These speakers are worth hearing, and come highly recommended. I'm not the only one who recommends these little gems. For two hundred bucks in kit form, and an hours work, you can't go wrong.