M&K S-150THX Floorstanding Speakers

4.71/5 (21 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

THX certified mirror-imaged mains with a vertically angled center

Submitted by Andrew a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
Plain and simple the THX S-150THX are a well round set of Speakers it does not take rocket science to acknowledge quality sound; either way its a win win...if you come across M&K you must already know you are already in a high quality arena... acoustic is my career with NASA and finding speaker that perform so well balanced and dynamically in both music and Home Theater for the price these are the best value... sure there may be other more well rounded speakers but cost a quarter of a middle class home.. I would not look twice to invest in a these if you are looking to spend $5k+ just go a head and buy a sound pressure level (SPL) at radio shack or at your local MOM and POP shop it will be worth the money overall and you'll never regret it... M&K are also American made... careful with counter-fits in the M&K-750 series don't buy anything stating "tested by M&k in the USA" authentic M&K State "Made in USA"

Submitted by Troy Wright a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
After 10 years on every day and connnected to my restaurant system, it finally broke down... now what do i do? the on light gave up the ghost and so did the sound. But I got my money's worth.... Maybe I'll try to get it fixed. I loved the sound.

Submitted by andygood a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I don't want to jinx myself by writing this review but I am fairly certain after several years of trying to find a speaker arrangement to meet my goals, the 150's have been the answer. I have gone many routes trying to find a speakers which offered the best of both worlds for music and video. What I have discovered is that you really can't find an arrangement that does both well on a critically high level. If you are more than 50% in one direction, then lean towards the speakers that meet your preference.

Most recently, I bought a pricey Dynaudio Contour center and SE bookshelfs thinking that a quality speaker this musical would certainly be a top notch speaker for home theater as well. I was wrong, the sound was soft and un-involving.

Previously before owning the Dynaudios, I had a M&K 750 THX set-up and was really impressed with their home theater ability
but thought that I could get a more musical speaker and still have a dynamic home theater sound. As I said, the thinking was wrong.

First of all both the 750's and the 150's are both decent with music. Although, if you are into sitting around with a glass of brandy and picking apart the nuances of instruments on 2 channel cd listening, you can certainly do better. But that is not what we are talking about here, if you are looking at M&K, you are at least 70-30 home theater. For the 30% or less that you want to enjoy music, you get a detailed presentation and sound that is at least competitive with your better mid range spekaers that are touted for their musicality.

But if home theater is your passion, these speakers make child's play of any similarly priced speakers, especailly those wich are emphasized for music. You'll notice a huge difference in the dynamic peaks, the way sound moves from speaker to speaker and clarity. I have the matching $875 AC center which is only 21 pounds and my $1,400 Dynaudio Contour with the beautiful wood cabinet wasn't in the same league.

The M&K's are the closest thing a consumer can get to a professional studio monitor for the home, in fact, these are hybrids of the big time speakers used in professional mixing studios and soundstages for some of the leading studios in the world. There isn't a speaker available to the consumer with the same pedigree as M&K for home theater performance.

The tell tale sign for me was the day I brought these home and played the new Resident Evil sequel, I actually jumped from a sound effect coming from the left front speaker. Moreover, these are the first speakers I have owned where I have had to turn the dynamic range control to "reduced" on my processor because even at modest volumes, I was keeping the family up at night.

The audio/video industry is full of a lot of hype, if you believe in bi-wiring and are seduced by pretty wood enclosures, the M&K approach will not be as appealing. But look at pictures in recording studios of speakers and you will see industrial looking speakers like M&K. The wood finishes and gimicky bi-wirible fancy binding posts are designed from a marketing perspective.

I am not a believer of throwing 5 stars around because I don't think it benefits those of you looking for buying advice, however, if you understand what these are inteded for, you are looking at truly a 5 star product.

In terms of quality, the M&K offers a ten year warranty, each speaker is indivually tested and the technician's name is actually on the speaker. I recommend the 150's wholeheartedly to anyone who aspire to have cinema quality sound in there home and in some cases exceed it.

Purchased At:   Artistic Sound & Vid

Submitted by awrhifi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that I don't mix theater with music. So I don't have to debate if it sounds reference like for 2 ch. playback. All I know is that I have compared it with the high end Energy, Boston Acoustic, B&W and others. What I found was that the MK speakers are capable of sounding natural and revealing with great stage for movies. What I mean is that if you have reference DVDs like the Matrix, Gladiator, and others, you can audition real life-like sound effects with direction, natural dialogue and a movie that will blow you away. Again you can judge for yourself.
I use the MK S-150THX Ultra with the following:
Denon 5800,
Toshiba SD 9200,
Monster Power HTS 5000,
Monster M1000 Digital Cable,
MK S-150 center,
200 MK 2 Tripolet-4,
MX-350 MK II THX Ultra-2.

Sometimes they can be, and at other times they are not a bit bright, but that depends on the system you are using and the cables you are using as well. I will explain. With the Denon, I use the Kimber 4TC, which sound a bit bright but that's because the cables don't have 10 hours yet. I hope it will go away after 100 hrs of burning. I was using Monster XP and it wasn't bright at all, but I lost detail. I also tested my Mcintosh Amp MC 150 with the speakers and the difference in sound was amazing, very close to what reference theater is all about. I know the sound will get there once I change my digital cable and see what Kimber 4TC is all about, or replace it. As a matter a fact in the future I will also change the AV with separates.
If you want a good music do what I did, and get a nice stereo.
Believe me, you don't need super expensive equipment (30,000 plus) to get reference sound.
To conclude, the MK S150 THX are amazing for Movies and they will sound only right if you match them with the correct equipment and the right acoustics. Again you can always buy better but the MK won’t put a hole your pocket.
PS. If you have these speakers and know the right combination of speaker cables, please share this information, thanks.

Purchased At:   Brandsmart

Submitted by Terry Stanard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the s-150p. Yes, that's right, I put the "p" on the end for a reason. The p stands for self-powered. M&K sells a self-amplified speaker that audioreview does not have a specifc entry for. These are THE speakers used in Skywalker sound and other sound mixing studios. They have 180 watt amplifiers built into them, and weigh about 45 lbs each. They retail over $2k, but I got mine off ebay for half that price (and have never seen them there since). They are tremendous speakers. The sound stage is very wide. I hear many details with these speakers I do not hear from others, including the s-150 (unpowered). I don't happen to like the sound of the unpowered version that most people here are writing about. I think they stink for music listening. The self-powered versions are great with movies and music. One thing I like in particular is their ability to handle high volumes without distortion. I've never been able to drive them beyond their limits. They have detachable power cords, and I would like to one day purchase nicer cords to see if that improves sound even more. Since they are self-powered, you use the pre-outs on your receiver, or hook them directly into a preamp through an interconnect. This is also a nice feature. For some reason, self-powered speakers have not picked up in the marketplace (except in the subwoofer category, of course). The key advantage is that the amplifier is designed specifically for the speaker enclosure. It also has a reduced set of wiring between the amp and the speaker cones. I will never go back to the normal speaker configuration with an external amp, after owning these babies a while. Now I can concentrate on purchasing a good preamp to mate with the speakers directly. For those who like performance reviews like Home Theater, I believe these were given a 95 for performance. Write me for more info if you like. I think Downtown audio sells them for $1750 each - which is the lowest price I've been able to find outside of ebay