LINN Tukan Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (41 Reviews) MSRP : $795.00

Submitted by kugs22 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
When you buy and sell on Audiogon as I do, you don't have much of an "investment" in the gear, as you can trade it fairly evenly if you don't like it. I could sell these tomorrow for $400. So I say with some objectivity that I have never heard a monitor anywhere near this price - and that means up to $1,500 - that approaches the Tukan if matched properly. It is just a little slice of heaven.

First, these speakers deserve to be treated correctly. They need good, welded metal stands. They need to be brought out into the room to create the soundstage - at least three (and in my case five) feet.

Second, they cannot be used alone; they need a sub. This sort of goes with my advice about pulling them into the room. That is, you can't force bass out of these by sticking them on a wall (you can't get a decently deep soundstage doing this anyway, and I don't know why people even try). They don't have any bass. They don't pretend to have bass. But what they do have (down to around 70 or 80 hz) is spot-on. However, alone, they sound thin and somewhat "shouty." I admit that this "shoutiness" at high listening levels (which many have spoken about with this speaker) doesn't entirely disappear when subs are used with them, but the problem is greatly diminished. In any event, one sub is mandatory, and two (such as I have) is sublime. The reason is that because the Tukans aren't trying to go low, there is no crossover problem - no "doubling." It is easy to set and find the correct bass response. Because the punch and drive of the bass is determined primarily by frequencies well above 70 hz., the bass remains tight and tuneful. This configuration (rather than floor standers) gives much greater control over room response, and flexibility in placement - bass is always the hardest thing to control in any room.

When set up properly, there is really no reason to want "better" speakers. Oh, they certainly exist, but the fun factor of these things is just incredible. They are better to my ears than: Totem Model 1s, ProAc Response 1, Opera Duettas, Von Schweikert VR1s, and a bunch of others that have run through my system over the years. Better in the sense of 1) fast 2) tuneful 3) emotional 4) tonally balanced 5) non-resonant 6) uncolored 7) detailed 8) throwing an exceptionally deep and wide soundstage. In fact, their stage size borders on spooky when you tweak the room just right. I've heard this on much more expensive systems, but with the exception of my old planar Eminent Tech LFT VIIIs, nothing in this price range. They let the notes go; they boogie; they send you to the concert hall to listen to Chopin.

I bought them because I have a small listening room, and I didn't want to get into large speakers. As noted, I chose to control the bass response myself with subs rather than get stuck with what a manufacturer thought might work down to 30 hz in most environments (not including mine, of course). If you find yourself in this situation, give the Tukans a shot, and spend the dough on dual subs (I can guarantee you there is no going back from dual subs!). You'll spend less than $1,500 on the whole shee bang and have a powerful, fun system to listen to - of course, there is a ton of additional spacial information down deep, so driving these things with the subs is just over-the-top good for the money.

I've tried to trade up for a year to other speakers - they're still with me. You sing, you tap your feet, you listen closely to a beautiful passage - in short, you are engaged directly with the music. I'm some impressed.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by zenfishbike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
Reading the other reviews it was interesting to see how many others also felt no further need to shop speakers. Nice to see so many others confirming my feelings. I'm done. No need to look further unless money is no object. The next step up is going to be a quantum leap in cash.

I want to emphesize the Tukans have quickness, punch, and musicality I haven't heard anywhere else. Spacial presence, detail and texture is incredible. You will literally FEEL things like fingers on strings, breath between words, spit and tongues against teeth. Passive Tukans are very very good but they can be a tad harsh and resticted when compared to active. Active with Linn amps and a quality source and you will be done, just like the rest of us.

You can tweek the final result with your cables. The Rel Stata III is a good fast sub that can keep pace with the Tukans but the Rel Stadium III is noticably better at bringing it all home. The other Rel's arent fast enough. Stay with the older tweeters for everything I just described. Going with the so called upgraded tweeter out of the Katan and Espek line gives up the magic. I also recommend keeping it all in the Linn family. The amps do add to the magic and are designed to accomodate the active cards all at a somewhat reasonable price. No need to risk a break in the magical chain.

I run the identical drivers in Linn's 5140 tower speakers in my theater actively and they are the final answer because they completely fill in the lower end epecially with the larger Rel. I have another set of 5140's idle on the sidelines because I still love to revel in the awesome simplicity of the active Tukans in my seperate listening room. They put a big old grin on my face every darn time.

Purchased At:   Sounds Like Music, S

Submitted by Terry Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Bottom Line:
Incredible souding speakers. I purchased a pair of used in beautiful and high quality rosenut finish with $300 from local dealer. When listen to violin playing, I am totally right in the concert hall. A true monitor!!

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by Leo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2002

Bottom Line:
Couples years ago I picked up a Linn LK100 amp in a second hand hifi shop. Before that I didn't know this name.

The little amp's quality surprised me, as I was used to big pieces of equipment. Later I traded that amp for a LK85, and buy a used Genki CDP.

i would like to make it a all-Linn setup, so I went out searching for Linn speakers. I heard about Tukan, but it was already discontinued.

I auditioned the newer models. But they didn't impress me. Then there was a stock clearence of a Dynaudio dealor. So I bought a pair of Audience 52, which were quite good, given their size and price.

Then 2 weeks ago someone was selling his Classik CDP and his pair of Tukan. After bargaining we agreed on $285. I drove 10 miles to take it, 10 miles to go back home, set it up and test it quickly, before I went to airport to picy up my wife's brother-in-law.

My wife's brother-in-law stayed in my home for 3 days. Except went out for dining, he spent all his stay playing with my hifi, until 2am.

He was wondering how thses little monsters can be so good, and in his eyes I knew he wanted to get a pair for himself.

My listening space is less than 100 square feet. So floorstander is not a good idea. I have tried it, but found that too bloomy, and very difficult to position.

Compared to the Audience 52, in the same environment, you can easily tell who is the winner.

Audience 52 is in itself the best one in its price range. To beat it you need something triple the price, like Contour 1.3SE from the same manufacturer or B&W 805. It is well-balanced, lots of details, and gives lots of bass for its size. It tends to bloom if you position too close to walls though.

Tukan is another breed. It has a tint of warmth. Its clarity and details beat many $2000plus speakers.

In terms of details of the Audience 52 is almost the same. But the Tukan shows its class by its openness, wide sound stage, and depth. It is well-controlled.

I agreed to some review that its upper bass and lower mid lack some definition. It is, but only very slightly. Bi-wire seems to improve it quite a lot. Mat be I will try bi-amp later.

Purchased At:   used form internet

Submitted by russwollman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Bottom Line:
Spending $700 for a pair of little bitty black speakers seemed nutty at first, but the Tukans have acquired classic status. Such an wonderful, honest little box! I recently spotted a pair on eBay and bid though I didn't need them. Though I lost the auction, I pursued the idea and bought another pair to keep just in case. These are great little speakers from great Scots. I will visit that country someday. There must be magic there...

Purchased At:   Audio Advice