LINN Nexus Floorstanding Speakers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

2 way speaker, 200 mm woofer, silk dome tweeter

Submitted by Waldman Jordaan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2013

Bottom Line:
I have been fortunate enough to stumble on a pair earlier this year and I have been stunned by just how much I enjoy them.

Before I purchased the Nexus, I sold my very large Infinity Kappa 9.2i Series II. I was fond of the Kappas, but they were simply too demanding as far as mating equipment with them and room treatment was also a must with them. Room treatment was a problem in my new home and I was not going down that road again (read: been married too long to try my luck again). So, with much regret I sold the big Kappas and all the equipment that I used with them too.

Then the new chapter:
hoping to buy a smaller setup, I stumbled upon a pair of Linn Nexus LS250 speakers being advertised on a local AV forum. I don't know why but I started to read up on them. Consensus seemed to be that:
1) they sounded "bigger" than their actual dimensions may suggest.
2) pretty good bass
3) can be placed VERY close to the rear wall
4) nice highs and never harsh

This was exactly the virtues that I was looking for in a smaller system.

Luckily they were still available by the time that I found enough 'un-biased' info on the web.

Anyway, I took the gamble and set them up in a secondary room to test a bit. Unfortunately that room was a bit on the small side, about 3.5 x 8m. It sounded ok, but not GREAT!

I just decided not to look any further for other speakers, until I have listened to them in the main listening setup.

Wow, wow and wow!

In the large room (120 sqm and all double volume) the Nexus really came onto its own and sounds like no other speaker I have heard before - just awesome. I now have a very basic setup - running FLAC from a Squeezebox server to SB Touch > Audiolab M-DAC > Rotel RB-03 > Linn Nexus LS250. I do not want to change anything in my system - I am now content and extremely happy with the overall sound.

I think the biggest mistake people might make with the Linn Nexus LS250, is to assume that their physical small dimensions represent their character - it doesn't. These speakers sound so much "bigger" than they actually are and deserve a large room to really strut their stuff.

I think it is one of the most pleasing sounding speakers and they produce absolutely natural music and do not know how to offend, even in rooms with zero room treatment. They are also capable of excelling in most genres.

...just avoid using them in small rooms.

Submitted by Martiat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
I own these spekears for quite a long while. I recently renewed the rest of my Hi-Fi equipment (amplifier: HK 970 and new high quality cables). The sound was good, but with a rather high level amp, good cables and bi-wiring, it has incredibly gained in clarity. I was also thinking of replacing thes louspeakers, but now, I will go on for a while. I would very much recommend to all users to simply invest in high quality cables and bi-wiring. The difference is incredible for a small investment.

Purchased At:   Linn Dealer (Belgium

Submitted by Con a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
had them for years always loved them. Upgraded my whole system but wanted them to remain part of the new system. Added linn karic & numeric with denon 3300 amp, linn centric, linn secrik, 2 x rel 200q subs. still cuts it. dont want to change. bigger, better dearer out there but if you love them,grew with them, why change. Will still have them when I'm 69

Submitted by Richard a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just upgraded from B&W602 speakers. Found these secondhand for only £80 - great value. Demoed with Arcam equipment as my hifi is at home overseas.

Amazed at acoustic midrange clarity and tidy bass. Still early days but shows the bargains that can be had S/H.

This review obviously at the price that I paid.

Purchased At:   Second hand

Submitted by Denis Landry a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
Have owned these for over 10 years and I love them. They play any kind of music very well, and stand up against larger speakers. They go down well in the bass just not as loud, but they do it without distortion. They are very quick and dynamic and open. I have since added a Mirage Bps150i subwoofer but run the linns unfiltered. I run them biwired (worth the extra cable) and would like to biamp if I ever find a linn powertek. I do not have the Ku-Stone stands but have the original stands. I have filled these with a combination of stand and lead shot. The improvement was dramatic. A great speaker for lovers of music!
Denis Landry

Lying Salesman Nexus 7/Ipad Mini

I was at Best Buy the other night taking a look at 7" tablets and the Ipad Mini, comparing the size as I am going to buy a Nexus 7 or the Ipad Mini. I was looking at the Samsung 7" Galaxy tab when a salesman came over and asked if he could help me. I said yes but what I did not realize was that he ... Read More »

Brand New BlackBerry Bold 9700-$210,HTC Google Nexus One-$21

MERCANTA LIMITED we are one of the leading mobile phone distributorsis. We are Legitimate registered company under government registration and licensed, Registered No.03173568 We are recognized distributor of various consumer electronics we sell latest brand and new original phones from there ma ... Read More »

F/s HTC Google Nexus:$280/Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB:$230/Nokia N900:$240

[B]ALAPOMEJI LIMITED,Registered Under Malaysia Govt, is one of the Nation’s largest electronic distributor and is generally regarded as offering the best deals contract on the web. We offer great variety of newly-released, branded electronic products ranging from laptops, mobile phones, plasma / lcd ... Read More »

For Sale HTC Google Nexus One $230 T-Mobile Pulse $180

TRANSYT LIMITED offers drop-ship and wholesale services for a wide range of brand new and original consumer electronics from mobile phones, digital cameras, mp3 players to game consoles. We, TRANSYT LIMITED run our business with full integrity and honesty. We offer our customers value–for–money p ... Read More »

New Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB & HTC Google Nexus One at affordable price

We are a Recognized Distributor of Various Consumer Electronics, We Specialize in a wide Range of Products such as Mobile Phones, Laptops, Video Games Console, Digital Cameras, (Etc) At Affordable Prices. This phones are unlocked and can be used with any SIM card. No activation required This p ... Read More »