LINN Kan Floorstanding Speakers

4.7/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $500.00

2 way bass-reflex shielded bookshelf monitor 19mm ceramic dome tweeter 130mm woven glassfiber midrange/woofer Freq Resp - 70Hz - 20kHz +/- 3db

Submitted by E.Steinberg a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2014

Bottom Line:
I purchased a mint pair of Linn Kan V at ebay two months ago. They should replace a vintage pair of Rogers LS 2/A2, that had given me a lot of pleasure.

The system: Revox B 760 Tuner, Naim CD 5i-2, Naim Nait 5i, Linn K20 cable. The Kans are mounted on rigid sound organisation wall stands on four spikes each, about 5 cm off the wall. The room is quite small 3x4 meters (our kitchen).

The difference was immeadeately clear: The Linn Kans are much “faster”, more open and do show a lot of more details than the Rogers LS 2/A2.

They are very cohesive and present the music as “a piece”, tweeter and midbass are acoustcally “together” as it should.

Bass goes deep and “is fast”, maybe a little bit warm, due to the near wall (the instructions recommend 5-15 cm distance to back wall).

The imaging ist exeptionally good, maybe it would still be better if I could give them more space behind them.

Tonal colour seems to be realistic, better and more differentiated than the humble Rogers LS 2/A2 which I would still recommend as a close to wall vintage speaker for nealy “no money”.

So, if you are searching for a speaker that can keep peace in the kitchen and if you don’t mind playing with pre loved toys the Linn Kan V “kan give you a koncert without katastrophe”(free by Steven R. Rochlin).

Submitted by Len_P a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2011

Bottom Line:
I was fortunate enough to have made a wise decision way back in 1985 and that was to buy a pair of black Linn Kan I's. They survived many upgrades of amplifiers (from Naim and Linn), turntables, CD players (Arcam, Marantz and Meridian Transport/DAC), cabling and interconnects. I was completely (100%) happy with them and thought I'd keep them forever!

Until, one day about 18 months ago, I encountered a pair of black Kan II's (biwirable) up for sale at a local newsagents via a window ad; - at £400 ($600) including the stands they seemed reasonably priced. I went to look (they were pristine and owned by one guy from new), listen and I was hooked! - I parted with the cash and re-plugged my speaker cable to cater for the bi-wiring and started to listen.

What a revelation! - detail and clarity in the midrange that I'd never heard before, more depth of bass, punchiness and slam of the drums... staggering, absolutely staggering. As quoted by a previous reviewer, the Kans are "a remarkable product" and considering that these speakers are 21 years old they are a testimony to great build quality. In the right set-up, on Kan stands with top quality amplification (ideally as in my Linn pre-power combo or something similar) they are unsurpassable and I've not heard anything better - that includes the similarly sized, modern Linn Katans.

One word of caution to any prospective purchaser of secondhand Kan's though and that is to realise that the later Kan's (mk III onwards) are not a patch on the mk I's and mk II's and in my opinion are not worth paying serious money for. The Mk III. IV and V are decent products but not in the same league.

ps To really make my day, I later sold my immaculate 26 year old mk I's for £300 on e-bay. Though I've noticed recently that they regularly fetch £350-400 and perhaps I should I have kept my mk I's as a long term investment!

Submitted by JimmyBlues a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I recently (as a matter of fact I wrote the post below this one) posted in regard to my Linn Kan V's and how much I enjoyed them; as well as how there was much hype made over the earlier Linn Kan speakers, which many Kan owners recommended over -- as they put it -- the lowly Linn Kan V.

Having recently taken possession of a pair of black Linn Kan I's, I believe that the comments I made in my earlier post regarding the later Kan V, are even more prevalent now.

Upon reflection, the Kan I is a very articulate speaker, however, lacking the bass of the later Kan V. The sonic signature of both speakers, even though they have completely different drivers, is very similar, throwing a wide side stage which belies their diminutive size.

The Kan I's are also less efficient, meaning that your amplifier must work harder to achieve the same sound levels with the I, as it would with the V's.

However, the build quailty of the I is clearly superior, being made out of plywood with a quality veneer finish, instead of the chipboard and veneer covering of the later Kan V.

All in all, these are both superb litte monitors, and musical as all get out when matched with good a quaility source and amplification.

As to which is better, the truth is that they balance one another, given the latter's greater efficiency, and the earlier Kan's superior build quality.

I must also say that as a former owner of two very nice pairs of Rogers LS 3/5A's, that I am surprised that mint pairs of the earlier Kans are selling for a fraction of what excellent examples of the LS 3/5's -- circa the 1980's -- have been selling for on Ebay. Especially since the two were nearly identical in price when sold from new during that period.

In this respect the earlier Kans represent a fantastic value for the savvy audio enthusiast, who for his dollar gets a speaker that plays much louder than an LS3/5A, throws a much larger sound stage, produces better bass, and nearly equals the Rogers arfticulate and transparent midrange.

The Linn Kans, in all of their iterations, continue to be a wonderful sounding near field monitor, and a fantastic value for the penurious audio enthusiast.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by JimmyBlues a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Bottom Line:
Since its inception some 20 plus years ago, the Linn Kan has been manufactuered in at least five different versions, not the least of which is the Kan V.

The Kan V is a terrific little speaker with most if not all of the virtues of the earlier
Kan 1 and II, except that it incorporates Linn's later and more efficient drivers, and is built more to a price point.

Obviously, it would be impossible to sell the Linn Kan for $500 in 2002 (when I purchased mine), when they cose that much in 1986, without making some compromises.

The Kan V is built from chipboard, instead of the plywood that earlier Kan's were made from, and then covered with real wood veneers like cherry, oak, walnut and teak.

However, it easily competes soundwise with the earlier and much less efficient speakers, so that low powered quality amplifiers can drive them quite nicely, and to a surprisingly loud volume

My Kan V's work extremely well with my low power tube amplifiers, which include
Quicksilver Mini Mite 25 wpc monoblocks, and Antique Sound Lab Wave AV 25 mono's. The warmth and articulate nature of these amplifiers absolutely makes the Kan V's sing. And there is little doubt that these amplifiers would not work nearly as well with the less efficient Kan 1 and Kan II's, which would probably clip these amplifiers when attempting to gain any appreciable volume levels.

The difference between the earlier Kan's 83db@1wpc volume level and the Kan V's 88db@1wpc volume level is demonstrable.

Don't be fooled by the cult hyperbole of the earlier Kans' since the Kan V is just as a good, much less expensive, and far more efficent to run.

Purchased At:   NY Audiophile Store

Submitted by Nico a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
Yes, there better (Linn) -speakers, I thing Linn Katan is more refinded in the bass area, but it's cost twice as much. However this is very good value for the money, (550 €).
I used B&W CDM 1NT, and the B&W has more detail and clarity in the mid but the high wasn't as smooth.
This speaker sounds a little husky but that's not a weakness for me.
The soundstage is also larger than my
Dynaudio Audience 40, and with good electronics ( I use an LFD Mistral amp and Rotel CD-player) the Linn wins.
You don't need a sub with this one,
bass is more heavy than my Dynaudio's and
much more than the B&W's.