LINN Kabers Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $3775.00

Floorstanding Loudspeaker

Submitted by Christian Schroff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
As a student, I was happy with my pair of Cerwin Vega U-123, listening mainly classic and baroque music or jazz. But now it was time to make a change.

Years ago, when I heard the first time LINN speakers (I think it was Sara), I thought I would hear live music, when I came into the room, but nobody was there playing the saxophone, that sounded so real. I never forget this impression.

So I just had to buy, when I saw the Kabers at eBay for Euro 500,00. For these acitve speakers I bought 3 Cambridge Audio P500 and a Cambridge Audio C500. When I changed the preamp with the old Denon PRA-1100 for a comparison, I realized, that the Kabers are like cats: They just want the best food.

What's the difference to the Cerwin Vega stile? It was like the night would change into day, when I say frequency response (midrange) and soundstage, and that is the main reason, why I wanted to change my speakers. In point of view clean sound (distortions) there is no much difference. But, but ... the sound-volume of the Kabers are poor in comparison with the Cerwin Vega: The Kabers with its precise transparancy are perfect for chamber music, but they don't "fill" big rooms. The music doesn't go under the skin, although it is a great pleasure, to listen seriously to music. You can hear almost every thing.

There was one big tear in my eye, when I gave away the Cerwin Vegas: The Kaber woofers are so weak. So I bought a subwoofer, and I am happy again.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by Dave Mayer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Can someone help me...I got these speakers (passive) and they sound superb. The problem is that if i up the volume they really let go off the bass and distort.I am using a NAD C370 driving the highs and a NAD C270 the lows cabled up with 4 runs of Linn K20.To get any real volume the nads are having to be pushed very hard (3 o clock position on the volume control)I realise that its the amps that are probably causing the distortion and wonder if bridging the amps will cure the problem.The kabers seem to just soak up so much power. Can anyone give me some tips..i dont really want to change the nads unless absolutely no other option.Will Linn amps really make a difference,what will going active do,will bridging give them the power they need to go load with less effort?????? SEND YOUR ADVICE TO djmayerfzr@hotmail.com

Purchased At:   Musical Approach

Submitted by Dweeb a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I agree with many of the comments below. The Kaber is not for everyone. However, if you appreciate a laid back, detailed and incredibly 'snappy' (in activ mode) presentation, this speaker will make you a very happy camper.

I orginally owned a pair of passive Kabers which I purchased second hand. The speakers were driven by a Linn Majik with a Mimik as the source. This quickly proved to be inadequate. I worked out a deal with my local retailer to trade-in the passive units for aktiv demos with a pair of LK-100's. Over four years, I've upgraded to my current system consisting of LP12 (Ittok), Ikemi, Pekin, Kairn and three LK100's. Every upgrade provided substantial improvement as the Kaber (especially aktiv) is a ruthlessly revealling speaker. My most recent upgrade was replacing the ceramic dome tweater with the new fabric unit found in the current LINN speaker line. This provided one of the best upgrades for the lowest price of any changes I've made to my system. The high end is smoother with more detail and depth.

Overall, this speaker is a pleasure to listen to. It offers an open, detailed and pitch-perfect mid range and high end with a bass response that is (contrary to some other reviews) extended, pitch-perfect and incredibly quick in activ mode. They like being close to the wall which is practical in most living room situations. The enclosure is built like a tank and offers that rock solid sound when you knock on its side. They are also among the most beautifully proportioned and constructed speakers you'll find if you care about what things look like.

The downside is that the small bass driver that provides the snappy bass does not provide an overwhelming amount of it. If you crave the weighty bass required for heavy metal or symphonic music these might not be for you. However, if you listen primarily to more intimate, and especially acoustic, music such as jazz or chamber ensembles, you will find few speakers out there that will outperform these at anything near the price.

If you own passive Kabers, upgrade to aktiv. If you own either, upgrade to the new tweaters. If you like LINN and are consdering a speaker upgrade, consider a used pair of Kabers, aktiv cards and a tweater upgrade.

Purchased At:   Definitive Audio

Submitted by Edo a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
In my experience, this speaker is not exactly fit for just anyone. It will get analytical and slightly forward, and some might not appreciate that. If that's the kind of sound you like, go for the Kaber. It provides detail and soundstage that will blow you out of your socks. It sounds uncoloured open and effortless, but it does seem to not come to its full potential in my current setup. I expect a lot of improvement from going Aktiv.

Purchased At:   Snijders, Rotterdam

Submitted by Carl a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2001

Bottom Line:
Had these thing two years originally
being used in an all linn system karik numerik
where they were very accurate but two dimensional
and being used passively a little box bound not breathing
like some ported designs.

Now run them on a valve amp and agree with many of the reviews here these are a true reference speaker
which require critical positioning anad are ruthlessly
revealing of poor recording mixes, but not to the detriment
of the music which is what they sounded like in my $20k
all linn system.

I'm happy now and that says it all ...pick these up second hand and you'll never need to upgrade for another 20years

Price Paid:    $2000.00