Legacy Audio Whisper Floorstanding Speakers

4.74/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $12900.00

10 driver, 4 way 210lb monster

Submitted by Ron a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Whisper XD's with the recently available Bohmer Wavelet DSP option.
I originally got the Whispers with the Xilica DSP and they sounded great already. Very neutral and natural with good bass without boominess. I then got the upgraded Wavelet which significantly further enhanced their sound as it addressed imperfections in my room acoustics. The soundstage is huge and deep while maintaining the neutralness and details of this extremely revealing speaker system. I added a pair of their Extreme subs which further deepened the bass.

It is excellent for all types of music: rock, jazz, blues and classical. It works both in large and small rooms due to the dipole design and the DSP. I have run it with high powered Class A amps and low power tube amps (16 watts) without any issues due to the built in Ice amps to drive the woofers.

In summary, a great speaker that is non-fatiguing that one can listen to for hours.

Submitted by BrentL a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
They are also crazy beautiful speakers: http://litzer.com/permanent/ibsub/whispers.jpg

Submitted by Brent a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought these used. They are incredible. I agree with previous reviewers on sound quality/sound staging in all aspects.

If you are a fan of boom, boom, distortion and one note type of base - these are not for you. Bass is big, but super tight just not kick your sternum like bass. A high quality sub fills that niche if you really need it. To give you an idea, I turn off my sub for TV use. I have watched many, many movies only to realize, after the movie, that I forgot to turn on the sub-woofer. I did not miss it. Listening to the movie again with the sub - of course I could notice a different, but it was only lower/louder, not better. ( and I am a bass hound with a customer built IB subwoofer with 4x18" drivers flat down to 11Hz)

Also, people that have not experienced high end audio speakers should not be reviewing as most of them do not value true music fidelity and do not know what they do not know.

Submitted by Nicoli a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are the best speakers by far I have ever listened to. The problem is that it reveals the lack of quality of a recording. So if something was recorded poorly, it will show. I can hear background noise, such as (movement, whispers) that I could never hear before on other speakers. You can't go wrong with 10 drivers! Whispers give great frequency response from the lowest lows, to the highest highs. Can't compare cabinet quality to anything I have seen. Best money I have ever spent.

Submitted by nordattack a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
Since so much good has been said already about these speakers let me keep it simple for you. Listen carefully- Imagine the sensitivity, clarity and explosive dynamics of the best horn speakers combined with the mystical transparency of the finest planar speakers and you have the new pagan god known as Whisper. These speakers are so revealing that even if you change a power cord you go, "Whoa I can hear that!" no exaggeration. Anything you put in the sound chain is immediately revealed for what it is. Lousy recordings are known instantly for their wusyness and great recordings and performances have the tears flowing in abundance. I have owned these speakers for over three years and I will never give them up! I just keep upgrading everything else but there will never be a need to change speakers. Get these speakers! You will never regret it.

Purchased At:   Legacy