Legacy Audio Signature III Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Tim Eres a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
If you can get your hands on a pair of these used...don't miss them.
You will be rewarded with the best value for money audiophile speaker on Earth.
These are unbelievable sounding speakers PERIOD!!!! Huge sound, and great with all kinds of music. You hear sounds you never heard from other speakers ,and soooo snappy and dynamic. Forget your other major brands, for the money, they will not come close.
I am a keen speaker hobbyist for the past 20 years, and in that time had probably 400-500 pairs of allsorts of speakers ranging from $100-10,000. These were my bargain gems for $AU 1900. Bought them from a seconhand dealer. Knowing how thay sound now, I would gladly pay even $5k for a pair. The bass is best I have ever heard, and all adjustable to taste via the rear selector switches. THE ULTIMATE SPEAKER FOR THE MONEY!!!!!
They do go down to 3 ohm load or so if you push them hard, and managed to trip my LUXMAN L505-U integrated, at pretty much tooo loud volumes. Very low distortion speaker indeed. BUY YOURSELF A PAIR,(IF YOU CAN) YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK!!!!

Submitted by Tim Frohlick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
Audiophiliamaniacal! These speakers are sweeter than stevia and smoother than ivory.

Submitted by tom3001 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
If these are your first speakers then u would think you would want to have something a little bit more upscale and higher end becasue they look so much like your old old JBL disco speakers just big and loud with no thought considered just a mass of drivers like those old Polks or those old hideously looking VMPS and u wouldnt want to be caught dead with these when anyone shows up at your house and u try to tell them you are some kind of hardcore audio expert that go back many many years back.
Because you are an expert you have listened to all the big boys like Dynaudio speakers and Dunlavys and all those big big floorstanding speakers expensive as well as cheap. But that is what you think and that you would think these speakers are a big big mistake becasue they look so UN highend and UN sophisticated. So you worry that if you get these speakers home that they would not work out for you like I thought for a long long long time...becasue you are an audio expert and know what audio is all about.
WELL let me tell you I was worried like hell when i finally bought these and set them up and believe me I have everyting from all those speakers mentioned including the all mighty Martin Logan Summits and Wilson Audios Biggies. And let me tell you that I was worried that some people mentioned in this forum that Legacy does not even match their drivers and there are alot of B stock Legacy coming from the factory and used speakers as well and you wonder if you are getting something very very awful. And those big hideous woofer drivers..all 3 of them ..must be some kind boomy joke?! OH MY GOD what am I getting myself into?! Can it be a total mistake?!Becasue you know what a proper speaker looks like because you are an expert..Right?
So LET me tell you that these Legacy speakers are what you been looking for your whole life long even after you have listed to all the other high end speakers the world has to offer.This is a 5 way design and the transition from ribbon tweeter to 7 inch midrange is well taken care of with the 1.25inch slik dome tweeter and the 10 inch is blended well with the midrange using a nice midbass driver. And the 3 woofers are as accurate and tight as you can get with the bass braking system (read about it in the Legacy website) You finally see you get everything correct with these speaker! I mean u could still use better drivers and shoot the cost way up but these drivers are very pleasant to listen to.. nothing is really wrong. You dont get the holographic pin point imaging that a dual 2 way monitor speaker gives you but what you get is a midbass and tweeter and dome and woofer that tells the whole story of the music like no other speaker can! YOU finally actually hear the entire range of sound..kind of like those JBL Ti250 from the 80s but alot way better accurate and easier to listen too and not muffled or bloated at all.Hey maybe thats it! These speakers just need to look way more cooler like those Ushers or Von Scheikerts (did i spell that right?)Everybody listen to me ! I like these speakers a whole lot! And let me tell you I am an audio expert too.And you know what else... I got the B stocks and nothing is wrong with them and the drivers are matched perfect and they work great in any moderate to big size room plus i know u can enjoy them sitting close up bec the woofers are controlled nicely and the highs are really really smooth and big sounding. I will really miss something in the vocals now if i dont have a midrange along with a midbass just like how these speakers have!..I got a big wall of sound from these dorky stupid looking things..A full orchestra accurate and all!!...all the imaging that should come from a multi driver system is here! Wow I am IMPRESSED! Do you know that these dome and ribbon tweeters do more than the single $2500 diamond accuton tweeter in the top of the line B&Ws. YES 2 tweeters like these are better then 1 diamond tweeter anyday of the year!!!
So my name is Tom Sakurai and I hope you like this review! Just becareful to tame your sound bec bad equipment can make them sound bright and these speakers will vibrate the hell out of your CD player and make them fatiguing so put a big block of wook on everything I mean wood ..you got to tame the sound but the average equipment even those new Yamaha receivers work great with these speakers and the new Philpis with 92k oversampling for $60 is a WOW WO great thing and so cheap..No joke! ITs strange sometimes bad sh*t or bad looking sh*t can work good sometimes.

Purchased At:   audiogon

Submitted by ahoisman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a 2004 Signature III speaker, but ‘04 doesn’t exist on this website yet. I got the Sigs. four days ago. They now have about 50 hours on them, though in truth they sounded wonderful the first minute of use. When a friend listened to them and I told her that they would sound better, after 100 hours or more, she replied ”How can they get even better than they are now?” Well, they now sound even better! Full, even, rich, detailed airy highs and crisp controlled lows are easy descriptors for the sound they produce at any volume and any kind of music, from Duke Ellington to Shostakovich, with Norah Jones in between.

I wasn’t able to audition these speakers prior to purchase but various reviews, mainly these in this site and listening to the Focus 20/20 speakers prompted me to risk ordering these to replace nine month old 1.6 Thiels. The Thiels are wonderful but lack a sense of weight a full symphony orchestra provides at full song. Well nothing is missing from the Signatures- they out perform the Thiels in every respect plus the symphonic “gravis” I was missing.

I almost never quit moving the Thiels slightly this way and that to find the perfect spot, in my very difficult living room: bare wood floors, too much glass and narrow room dimensions. We just plunked the Legacys down toe-ed in toward the listener and away from a plate glass floor to ceiling window. Haven’t felt the need to change yet. All of the “tunning” switches available on these speakers were left in the factory up position.

The front end of the system includes an Esoteric DV50 universal disk player, Anthem Pre/pro and Cary Cinema 5 amplifier.

Mine are in Cherry Walnut- a smooth satin almost black color that is makes for an elegant appearance. Fit and finish are everything one would expect for the price. Customer service -I bothered them a lot with questions- was outstanding.

Purchased At:   Audio Video Today

Submitted by reb1208 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been looking for new speakers for about a year. Went to many dealers and some shows. Listened to many, many brands-including Magnepan, Thiel, Martin Logan, Snell, B+W, Revel, Vandersteen, Dynaudio and a few more. I have owned plenty of high-end speakers in my life, including several from Legacy. Just could not make up my mind what to buy, so when I saw a 3 month old pair of Sig3's up for sale- I took a chance. The speakers arrived, and I set them up eager to listen. The first thing I more than just noticed was the bass was incredibly boomy and out of control. The 7 inch midibass was pumping very strongly and was overpowering. I new the guy I bought them from also said the bass was overpowering. A call to Legacy and I was assured that this should not be. At one time I owned the Focus in the same room and did not have that problem. Anyway, I soldered on-very unhappy- played around with placement and cable types\cofigurations. I was able to get some improvement but the bass was still overpowering. Never the less I played them for several weeks and nothing short of amazing happened. What the problem was is that these speakers were Brand New when I got them- the guy never played them- they were Not broken in at all. Now that the speaker has broken in it is seamless top to bottom. This is one musical speaker, the bass is not boomy or muddy in any way. The midrange is crystal clear and the highs are superior to that produced by any metal dome tweeter. They image/soundstage very well in my room. If I stand right in front of the speaker it sounds like the music is eminating from just one driver- absolutelt seamless. It winds up I got lucky- lesson learned is not to judge ant audio equiptment before it breaks in. And I would like to add that my hearing did not just adjust to the sound- these are really good speakers.

Purchased At:   Used