Legacy Audio Signature III Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Marco B. a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2016

Bottom Line:
I bought these brand new from a dealer in North Jersey in 10/ 2003. It is now 10/2016 and I would never dream of letting them go. Not from cold dead hands as the NRA wing nuts like to say! I have mine setup to play primarily my very expansive CD collection 3000+ discs and growing; playing through Oppo BDP105 darbee edition and a Coda Continuum Unison 3.1 integrated amplifier. The combination is fascinating to listen too! Incredible treble, delicious, luxuriously textured, midrange like a complex red wine that develops over time and an authoritative, tight, bass! I use as my primary system and also as a stereo surround sound, if you will, by the addition of two satellite Polk Audios up high and slightly behind the sofa (listening area) and I feel as if I'm at the Beacon theatre or the Village Vanguard depending on the material being played.
I doubt I will EVER need to buy any other pair (live in a Brooklyn brownstone) and even though the listening room is a well sound-proofed basement area of approx. 23 x 18, I can't play them loud enough w/o tenant complaints!
If you are ever lucky enough to lay your hands on a pair of these, do so!
13 years of playing them only makes them a more mature instrument! I may soon have to buy new amplification as the Coda has seen its best days but still manages most of the time to make me feel like I'm in the studio! I am a former drummer from an early 70's style rock power trio thus I am aware of what a genuine, cymbal decay trail sounds like as well as Marshall amps, classic Fender Stratocasters, et. al.. My passion is electric and Chicago blues but love jazz of all kinds and classical as well. Today's CD's make these SIG's sound even more incredible that when I first got them especially due to the superb "Sabre DAC" in the OppO's player. Best $2950.00 I ever spent and consider it an investment that keeps giving me dividends. Ciao citizens!

Submitted by Frank a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2014

Bottom Line:
I bought my Sig III's used and they were in mint condition. I was sold after hearing a pair at a friends home. These are very efficient speakers and sound great using low powered tube amps. My friend was driving his with a modified Dyna 70 .. 35 watts per channel. Over time, I have made many upgrades to my electronics and the speakers have never proven to be the weak spot in the system. Currently, I'm using the Audio Research Ref-75 amp and no matter how loud I play music, the amp just loafs along with these speakers. Prior to owning the Sigs, I was an electrostatic freak. I honestly thought the electrostatics were the end all in transparency. Well, the Sig III's are amazingly transparent and totally enjoyable. The Sigs were built to a price point, so there are some simple mods that can be made to improve the sound. First, change the binding posts to Cardas binding posts. Nice upgrade there and cheap to do. Second, buy the 2" unfinished maple platforms from Mapleshade audio. Spike the platforms to the floor, then spike the speakers to the platforms. Huge upgrade there and the platforms cost around $175 for the pair. Then, change out the cheap biwire jumpers provided by Legacy for nice upgraded wire. Cardas sells good ones, albeit a little expensive. If you shop on Ebay, you'll find some nice upgraded jumpers for around $40.00. That's about it ... forget more expensive speakers ... spend the money on more records.

Submitted by Tim Eres a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
If you can get your hands on a pair of these used...don't miss them.
You will be rewarded with the best value for money audiophile speaker on Earth.
These are unbelievable sounding speakers PERIOD!!!! Huge sound, and great with all kinds of music. You hear sounds you never heard from other speakers ,and soooo snappy and dynamic. Forget your other major brands, for the money, they will not come close.
I am a keen speaker hobbyist for the past 20 years, and in that time had probably 400-500 pairs of allsorts of speakers ranging from $100-10,000. These were my bargain gems for $AU 1900. Bought them from a seconhand dealer. Knowing how thay sound now, I would gladly pay even $5k for a pair. The bass is best I have ever heard, and all adjustable to taste via the rear selector switches. THE ULTIMATE SPEAKER FOR THE MONEY!!!!!
They do go down to 3 ohm load or so if you push them hard, and managed to trip my LUXMAN L505-U integrated, at pretty much tooo loud volumes. Very low distortion speaker indeed. BUY YOURSELF A PAIR,(IF YOU CAN) YOU WILL NEVER LOOK BACK!!!!

Submitted by Tim Frohlick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2011

Bottom Line:
Audiophiliamaniacal! These speakers are sweeter than stevia and smoother than ivory.

Submitted by tom3001 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
If these are your first speakers then u would think you would want to have something a little bit more upscale and higher end becasue they look so much like your old old JBL disco speakers just big and loud with no thought considered just a mass of drivers like those old Polks or those old hideously looking VMPS and u wouldnt want to be caught dead with these when anyone shows up at your house and u try to tell them you are some kind of hardcore audio expert that go back many many years back.
Because you are an expert you have listened to all the big boys like Dynaudio speakers and Dunlavys and all those big big floorstanding speakers expensive as well as cheap. But that is what you think and that you would think these speakers are a big big mistake becasue they look so UN highend and UN sophisticated. So you worry that if you get these speakers home that they would not work out for you like I thought for a long long long time...becasue you are an audio expert and know what audio is all about.
WELL let me tell you I was worried like hell when i finally bought these and set them up and believe me I have everyting from all those speakers mentioned including the all mighty Martin Logan Summits and Wilson Audios Biggies. And let me tell you that I was worried that some people mentioned in this forum that Legacy does not even match their drivers and there are alot of B stock Legacy coming from the factory and used speakers as well and you wonder if you are getting something very very awful. And those big hideous woofer drivers..all 3 of them ..must be some kind boomy joke?! OH MY GOD what am I getting myself into?! Can it be a total mistake?!Becasue you know what a proper speaker looks like because you are an expert..Right?
So LET me tell you that these Legacy speakers are what you been looking for your whole life long even after you have listed to all the other high end speakers the world has to offer.This is a 5 way design and the transition from ribbon tweeter to 7 inch midrange is well taken care of with the 1.25inch slik dome tweeter and the 10 inch is blended well with the midrange using a nice midbass driver. And the 3 woofers are as accurate and tight as you can get with the bass braking system (read about it in the Legacy website) You finally see you get everything correct with these speaker! I mean u could still use better drivers and shoot the cost way up but these drivers are very pleasant to listen to.. nothing is really wrong. You dont get the holographic pin point imaging that a dual 2 way monitor speaker gives you but what you get is a midbass and tweeter and dome and woofer that tells the whole story of the music like no other speaker can! YOU finally actually hear the entire range of sound..kind of like those JBL Ti250 from the 80s but alot way better accurate and easier to listen too and not muffled or bloated at all.Hey maybe thats it! These speakers just need to look way more cooler like those Ushers or Von Scheikerts (did i spell that right?)Everybody listen to me ! I like these speakers a whole lot! And let me tell you I am an audio expert too.And you know what else... I got the B stocks and nothing is wrong with them and the drivers are matched perfect and they work great in any moderate to big size room plus i know u can enjoy them sitting close up bec the woofers are controlled nicely and the highs are really really smooth and big sounding. I will really miss something in the vocals now if i dont have a midrange along with a midbass just like how these speakers have!..I got a big wall of sound from these dorky stupid looking things..A full orchestra accurate and all!!...all the imaging that should come from a multi driver system is here! Wow I am IMPRESSED! Do you know that these dome and ribbon tweeters do more than the single $2500 diamond accuton tweeter in the top of the line B&Ws. YES 2 tweeters like these are better then 1 diamond tweeter anyday of the year!!!
So my name is Tom Sakurai and I hope you like this review! Just becareful to tame your sound bec bad equipment can make them sound bright and these speakers will vibrate the hell out of your CD player and make them fatiguing so put a big block of wook on everything I mean wood ..you got to tame the sound but the average equipment even those new Yamaha receivers work great with these speakers and the new Philpis with 92k oversampling for $60 is a WOW WO great thing and so cheap..No joke! ITs strange sometimes bad sh*t or bad looking sh*t can work good sometimes.

Purchased At:   audiogon