Krix Euphonix Floorstanding Speakers

5 driver, 3-way 30Hz - 20kHz Enclosure: Dual chambers, both rear vented. Material: 19mm MDF Finish: Jarrah or Black Ash timber veneer, or Piano Black or White high gloss lacquer.

Submitted by Jacob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
After lusting after these speakers for 18 months, I finally got the money together nearly a month ago (cost in A$2400). These replaced my KDXM's as the main pair (the KDXM's have been relegated to surround duties which doesn't do them justice anymore, but that's another story). And I can't begin to say how happy I've been with the Euphonix, including the quality of the Jarah finish on them which makes them a real nice furniture piece as well.

Before I go any further my system specs:
Marantz SR780 a/v receiver
Toshiba SD-2109 DVD player
Sony 5 disk cd player (throwback to old system)
Sony 27 inch (68cm) TV
Krix Euphonix mains, Centrix centre and KDXM's for surrounds
Cable Talk 4.1 bi-wire speaker cable
Monster Cable interlinks

I don't have a sub in my system, and most of the time I don't need one. With the Marantz set to direct LFE to the main speakers, the Euphonix reproduce far more bass than many subs I have heard. But the secret is in bi-wiring, the extra pair of terminals on the back of the Euphonix are not there for looks. I borrowed a set of bi-wire cables from the store where I bought the Euphonix, nearly 2 weeks after I got the speakers, so as to have listened to them long enough without bi-wire cable to tell the difference. The difference could be felt as well as heard, and I would suggest you would have to spend at least $1000 (A$2000) on a sub to get better LFE.

Used for music cds the Euphonix continue to shine - a bonus. The balance between the low, mid and high frequencies is excellent and the soundstage and imaging hard to fault (although I have heard better of speakers with a price many times the Euphonix' price). The only complaint is that the bass can become excessive on some recent cds, for example Massive Attack, Mezanine, but this is easily overcome by inserting a foam resistive plug (or plugs) into the ports in the rear of the speakers.

I have built/upgraded my system in a number of stages, and every time I have heard sounds I had never heard before on my favourite cds, I thought it couldn't happen again with the Euphonix, but it did, in addition to the general increase in the overal quality of the music.

So, to sum up, anyone purchasing the Euphonix for home theater of music will not be disappointed, but make sure you bi-wire them. And if you don't ear-drum shattering LFE, you won't miss a sub. And finally for other Ausies that might be looking at buying Krix speakers, you may be interested to know that I was able to go to the factory with my KDXM's that I bought a year earlier and make sure that I got the correct matching Jarah finish on the Euphonix.

Purchased At:   Sound Craftsmen

Submitted by Craig Chase a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
The Krix Euphonics are the first speaker I have owned that made me stop wondering what else is out there. They always sound like music - vocals are fantastic with a lot of "you are there" to the sound. They can also handle home theater easily. I also own 2 Velodyne 18 inchers. Some audio enthusiast friends brought there favorite jazz and other speaker torture tests. They all thought the speakers were great and the subs really helped flesh out the sound. When they found out the subs were off and all the bass was coming from eight 5 inch drivers , there was amazement. Try them , you'll like them. Best I have seen under $6k.

Purchased At:   alpha sound

Submitted by Daniel a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2000

Bottom Line:
Well when I first brought my system I went out and bought the first thing that was shown to me. It consisted of a Yamaha reciever, I think it was something like RV-590 or something. A pair of Richter Wizards for mains, Richter Unicorn for center, and Aaron Sat-50's for rears. No sub.
And it was brilliant at the time, up untill the time I started to go to more stores and listen to other speakers and amps, and thinking of the big mistake I made. I like the Definative Technology speakers, they where brilliant. And then also like the JBL SV series. I also listen to the Krix Euphonix, and thought they sounded the best. The reasons why. The other speakers I found where to bright, they tended to have one thing over powering everything else. Example the JBL's tweater was to bright, and was over powering the rest of the sound. The Definative's where good, but the bass was to much all over the place, it was to loose in most cases. This is why I love the krix, they are perfectly balanced. Good tight bass, with the use of the dual 5inch drivers. These speakers also have two ports, because it has two chambers, one for the bass, one for the highs. And the speakers come with plugs. So I plugged the top vents, so it acts like its just for your mid range and high sounds, and the bottom just for bass. Ok back to the sound of the speakers. The Bass, the mid range, and high sounds are in tune so good that it doesn't sound as though one is over powering the other. This also has the fact that I sold my gear, and also bought Krix Equinox for rears, and I now think they are too good for rears, they are brilliant for mains too! Also got the Centrix, but I use a Klipsch KSW-15 sub. I now use a Marantz SR-96, which was the biggest improvement over that shi*#y Yamaha, I'll never go back to yamaha again. Marantz rule! I also got the Marantz DP-870 for Dolby digital, a denon AVD-1000 for DTS, and a Marantz DV-7000 as a DVD player. The best system possible, besides a THX certifed one!
Thats it for me.