Krix Equinox Floorstanding Speakers

4.29/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $599.00

two way bookshelf

Submitted by Spukee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought the Krix Equinox aftera short listening demo at a Hi Fi shop. They immediately impressed with presence and energy in the way it delivered the sound. As with the other review, I agree two points - female vocals and sparse recordings were definitely its forte. Imaging was also a highlight if you have a relatively small area to fill. In my experience, it was perfect for a 3.5m x4m area, but was terribly tinny and was easily lost at 10m x 6m.

Do not bother with this speaker if you plan to use a low-medium spec AV receiver. I tried a budget 100watt Sony receiver, a decent Yamaha RXV750 100watt receiver and they were both inadequate - no midrange and bass to speak of. I also tried the Equinox with an entry level Cambridge Audio amp (340A SE) and it sounded weightless. NAD amps are definitely the way to go for the much needed punch and warmth.

Whatever bass the Equinox could produce was mostly quality, but I noticed a steep roll off in the very bottom end. The lower frequencies either do not register (and yet audible on other speakers/headphones) or sounds like a soft "thump". A musical subwoofer is definitely recommended.

I would say that I am mostly disappointed with the Equinox due to the glowing reviews I have read and perhaps the unrealistic expectations I had for speakers in such a small enclosure. They were definitely not the floorstanding speaker killers that some reviews may suggest. I have since bought B&W 685 speakers in replacement and they were definitely a step up in all departments for just that little bit extra.

The Equinox is good with some genres of music (ballads, jazz, bossa nova) but had me wanting for more for the rest. Very difficult to recommend at its RRP.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by funkle a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2010

Bottom Line:
I was really brown away when I heard these at Moonsong in Denver. Admittedly, they had them hooked up to some high end stuff. I later picked up a pair used on eBay. After living with them for several years now, my overall take on them is that they really excel for listening to very sparse recordings. Jazz piano trios, female vocal ballad music - female voice is really their forte. Drum solos are very nice too, they really handle the dynamics & transients nicely when it's just the drum kit. But they start to fall short when the music gets more dense. Orchestral music and more busy electric music and things start getting a little lost. I listen mostly to jazz/rock fusion, and while suitable, they do not bring out the most this sort of music has to offer.

Submitted by Boomzilla a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
Don't assume that you have heard these speakers after listening to them at the audio store. They take months to break in! After the first few months, mine quit sounding "pinched" and began to bloom. I've run them with everything from a Classe-Bryston pre-power combo to a Yamaha AVR and they really work well. I have them paired to a M&K sub, crossed over at the Yamaha's default 90 hz, and they do fine. They do even better if I run them full range & dial in the sub at below 45 hz. Good imaging, realistic voice, fine dynamics, and surprising ultimate loudness capabilities. They're overpriced for their size, but their performance makes up for it.

Purchased At:   Wilson Audio, New Or

Submitted by Adrian Blount a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I got my set of Krix Equinox bookshelf speakers for use as surround speakers in a 5.1 home theatre setup and I couldn't be happier.

They give an excellent clear sound and I find myself even watching plain old stereo TV in 5 channel stereo mode because these surround speakers work so nicely at low volume.

The clarity from these speakers is amazing, especially from vocal soundtracks. I almost feel guilty having them somewhat relegated to being surround speakers. If I am ever in the market for a bookshelf type system these speakers would be my first stop.

I think these are a better option for this application than the KDX-M package provides on a performance for dollars basis. I am using Krix Lyrix mains, KDX-C centre and Equinox rears and soon to add a Velodyne CT-120 sub.

I would definitely reccomended listening to any of the Krix range if you are in the market for some quality audio speakers at a very good price.

Purchased At:   Frank Prowse HiFi

Submitted by Scott Campbell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of used Krix's for use in an office system as an experiment, following several highly complimentary reviews in various audio mags. Although the acoustics in my office are poor, I remain am very impressed after several full days of listening. This little speaker really dances!!
Very nimble, with excellent clarity and resolution of detail. I have only listened thus far to jazz, blues, vocals, and acoustic chamber music, but the Krix handles all of this very well. While there is no low bass, and the lower-mid bass is a bit "polite", this speaker does not leave you with the feeling that something is badly missing. Combined with a decent subwoofer, the Krix could certainly be the basis for an inexpensive yet truly high fidelity system. In a speaker at this price, I would have been happy to just get decent sound. With the Equinox, the sound quality is not only very high, but the build quality is perhaps the best I have seen in this price range. The Jarrah wood veneer is beautiful, the cabinetry and joinery is first class, and I understand that both the inside and outside surfaces are veneered to ensure that expansion and compression stresses remain even. At $600, the Equinox's offer a lot to the serious music listener. If you are auditioning speakers in the $500-750 range, you absolutely MUST hear this little jewel!! (One note: The overall rating of less than 5 stars is only because the speaker lacks the final octave-and-a-half. I would have given an overall rating of 4.5 if the scale allowed for it.)

Purchased At:   Used

Moon Equinox CD Player

Hello Sir/Madam, I am Mr. David from Indonesia. I would like to get your review of Moon Equinox CD Player. What do you think about this product? And which one is better if I'd like to compare with Musical Fidelity A3.5 CD Player? Thank you.Read More »

Stefan AudioArt Equinox Headphone Cable

Manufacturer Name: Stefan AudioArt Manufacturer's Website Address (critical): [url]http://www.stefanaudioart.com/EquinoxHD600_2.html[/url] Category (DVD Player, Subwoofer, etc): Need new category: Headphone Cables. (The Cardas headphone cable review is in Interconnects, which is incorrect ... Read More »