Koss CM 1030 Speakers Floorstanding Speakers

4.6/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $1100.00

Using the Koss Theory of loudspeakedre signa nd its computerized program,
Koss engineers set out to design the optimum 4 bandpas(s4 way)
loudspeaker system. The CM/l030's design started with setting the
parameters for frequency response for efficiency and cabinet size. From
these initial specifications the Koss Theory developed specific design
characteristics that include a 10-inch woofer, a mass aligned dual port
system, a parallel midrange system, and both a tweeter and a treble tweeter
that feature a unique acoustic transformer. To sew the whole system
together into a seamless, incredibly beautiful, full bandwidth sound, the Koss
CM/1030 features a special quasi second order crossover network second
to non.

Submitted by Stanley Herman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2017

Bottom Line:
I bought my CM-1030s new in 1979, and have had them ever since. Recently, I have had to replace the crossover systems on both speakers, as the components simply decayed to the point that the crossovers stopped working. Now, all is back to original spec (actually a bit better). I have used a Haffler power amp and also a Heathkit AR1500 receiver to power the speakers. My other set of speakers are the Bose 901 VI, which also are great home speakers; however, these Koss 1030s have a sound that, to me, is unique - warm, brassy and very accurate in the bass and mid range. I have my 1030s set up in a very large room with 18-foot ceilings, and I like to play them loud, especially with classical music. They are very efficient, and a good amp, with 100 clean watts, will drive them beautifully. Back in 1979, Hi-Fidelity magazine (I believe) did a review on the (then) just released 1030s, and it was that review that sparked my interest in at least auditioning them. Glad I did! If you can get them today, used, just be sure that the compound crossover system does not need replacing - it is not cheap to do.

Stan Herman

Submitted by Roberto a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought these speaker new more than 35 years ago and I'm still using them both as my main stereo speakers and as part of my audio set for wathcing movies and TV. I had to repair one of the speakers 5 years ago and bought a pair of polkaudio 70 series II monitors in the meantime. The Koss speakers put the polkaudio speakers to shame.

Submitted by Dave M a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2014

Bottom Line:
Okay, if we can let's go back a few years I bought a set of CM 1020's back in 78 after demoing them with the 1010's and 1030's. The 1020's were absolutely incredible, bass, miss.. highs'.. they had everything going. Don't get me wrong the 1030's were very nice but to my 24 year old ears, seemed a bit flat in the base… I'm a drummer and former DJ using Koss headphone for years and often wondered if a set of spellers were ever produced that would sound like the realism through the Koss 1000's, I'd get them. The 1020 were very close. the rest is history. If you have a set keep em. I'm using mine with a tube amp, and Yamaha CD player source. Still excellent after all these years.

Submitted by Aargonaut a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2013

Bottom Line:
I've had the CM/1010s, CM/1020s and the CM/1030s. I bought the CM 1010s about 30 years ago and then traded up to the 1020s. I could not get the 1030s because I could not afford the extra $200 for the 1030s. I found a pair of the 1030s about 15 years for aound $150. Since they were originally around $1,000, I felt this was a very good deal. I used them until about 5 years ago when I bought Infinity Kappa 9s. (As you can see, I like large, full range speakers.) I then gave them to my step-son, who has used them ever since.

The description above does not tell you how well these are built. The corners are made of solid pecan wood. They have handles built into the sides and weigh about 75 lbs. The dual midranges have separate enclosures. The cabinets are braced internally to reduce resonance problems. The particle board used to build them i thicker than with most speakers. All in all, they were constructed very solidly.

I remember the literature stating that the audio frequency response was dead flat from below 30 cps to nearly 20K - which pretty much covers the entire audible range. They also have a total harmonic distortion of 1%, which is virtually inaudible.

I remember demoing them against the 1020s. A person who was listening to them played a piece with horns. With the 1030s, the saxiphone had the proper "blat," where as it was missing in the 1020s. They really do sound very good.

These are not in the same class as the Infinities, but they also cost a lot less and give you excellent sound quality, particularly at the price they can be purchased for, if you can find them.

Submitted by Des a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have a pair for sale (best Offer Takes