Klipsch RP-3 Floorstanding Speakers

4.79/5 (28 Reviews)

powered tower

Submitted by MrRush a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
The Klipsch RP-3 is a very good speaker. I am amazed at how powerful these speakers are. I have had Klipsch Heresy & La Scala. The RP3 certainly is not as powerful as the La Scala which cost $3000 each but is comparable to the Heresy which sell at $800 each. Value wise I think the RP3 are a good buy if you can get them for $400-500. The RP3 can rattle your windows if need be.

Submitted by Randy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I would first like to say that I purchased these speakers for only $450, but I am going to review them from the $1500 price tage. The RP3s are a very unique speaker by all means. I would like to make it clear that the RP3s in no way compete with other speakers in the $1500 price bracket. The powered subs make up the majority of the price (~$700). B&W, KEF, and JAMO absolutely crush Klipsch at this price (no powered subs)

The first thing that struck me about these speakers is their enormous output. These speakers require a very large room. My 18 x 12 room is far too small for them. The subs are what make this especially true. Each speaker houses a 220W amplifer with a 10" woofer. Simply put, there is no quiet setting for the pair. When the volume and the "bass contour" are turned all the way down there still is too much bass. I don't think this would be an issue with larger rooms (on the order of 20 x 20+).
Subs sound very similiar to M&K, and radically different that Audio Pro and Sunfire. The housed subs must be used for optimal performance. I found myself enjoying dual subs. Even though low frequencies are said to be omnidirectional, the RP3s produce very spacious bass.
These speakers do have some highlights though. The RP3s have an excellent high end, one of the best I have heard. Klipsch uses a high efficeincy horn and its amazing. High hats, female vocals, acoutics guitars sound great.
The midrange is what makes me give these speakers such a poor rating. The midrange is clean and accurate but almost too extreme. It lacks real presence; male vocals seem dry.

These speakers are a steal at 1000 or less. If you plan on spending $1500 I suggest buying the sunfire super junior and a pair of Sonus Fabers or KEFs.

Purchased At:   unclestereo.com

Submitted by Zuggym a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
Buying the Klipsch RS3ii speakers was somewhat of a gamble as I've only heard them in controlled showroom settings. Powering them with a new Denon 3803 I was even more impressed with their effect once in my home. Basically a high end home theater set these speakers and the companion center, surronds and KSW-14 performed beyond expectation. The burn in on the towers was a little long with the result being a steadily enriched bass. These came from Acoustic Sound Design who really closed the deal by offering a better price and "in fact" quicker delivery than my local retailer. Kudos to Klipsch and ASD!

Purchased At:   Acoustic Sound Desig

Submitted by Justin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was looking for the best speakers to run from a fairly low powered H/K receiver (AVR-720). I listen to a lot of 2 channel music and watch the occasional DTS encoded DVD. Needed something with a broad, full range, super-crisp highs, tight bass, etc...These Klipsch's deliver! When putting 85W RMS just through the tweeter and cerametallic midrange, they scream. The powered 10" subs are as tight as 8s and deliver the frequency response of 12s. But, don't expect everyone in the room to experience the best sound. These speakers are exceptionally picky about location. They are sexy, they sound incredible, and are pretty reasonable ($).

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by jddealer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
Well, I spent approx. 3 months listening to many different systems in audio stores and homes and could not make up my mind. Debated between powered main speakers with subs and a complete satillite/sub system. After reading reviews on this site and others, and listening to some high-end klipshes in a store...I gambled and bought the RP-5's. It was well worth the money. I had listened to Boston Acoustics, Infinity IL-60's, JBL, Mangnepans, etc., and found the Klipsch's were the hands-down winner. Bass is massive and highs are the clearest I've ever heard. I matched these speakers with the Denon 2802 and am in listening heaven.