Klipsch RF-83 Floorstanding Speakers

4.14/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $2800.00

A force to be reckoned with, the Reference Series RF-83 floorstander sets a new standard for the line in both sound and style. With its high-end materials and slender design, this flagship tower delivers unrivaled audio performance for those who demand the very best.

Features
Ultra-high-performance floorstanding speakers
Professional-grade titanium dome compression driver for unmatched detail and dynamics
Triple high-output Cerametallic™ woofers deliver intense bass response with astonishing speed and accuracy
Furniture-grade wood veneer finish

Submitted by steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2017

Bottom Line:
These speakers are incredible. Anyone that doesn't think that is probably imputing lower class input signal into them.
I drive mine with 2 rotel 1080 bi-amp 200 x 4 into each component . marantz sa-11 cd player. If you don't like the sound spend some good money on cables and speaker wire, best investment you could make.
No matter what music you listen to you won't be disappointed. I have a the matching sub and I never turn it on. No need.
After years of using these speakers I have yet to hurt them.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Craig a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
Bought used.. Rf-83's are ok.. My Rf-7's (Dean G mod.) stomps all over the 83's. I'm running each into a pair of Krell Kav-250A's . The Rf-7's rule , so much detail , midrange and upper end. Bass is beefy.. Steer from the Rf-83's..Weak all the way around.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by fatdada423 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
My system is over 20 years old so I started to upgrade. I decided speakers were going to be my fisrt upgrade. I looked at several brand and decided on these Klispch Rf-83's based solely on the price I paid. If money did not matter i would not have choosen these. But since I am not rich I bought these.

How do they sound? Well I have a 14' by 19' listening area and they sound good not great. As one reviewer stated they need and equalizer so I attached my 20 year old Rotel equalizer to my system and with the proper adjustments they now sound much better. I feel I bought way to much speaker for my listening environment. These are made for a very large area. Since these are so efficient I cannot put more than 20 to 30 watts into them with out my neighbors complaining. But they rock. I did notice that when I listen to modern jazz the horns are too shrill but recently it seems the sound has tamed and I hope it gets better as they get broken in a bit more. The bass is extremely deep and mids seem ok. We'll see!

I am in no way unhappy with these I really enjoy them. Music sounds so much better than my old speakers. And I plan on purchasing the NAD M2 amp soon so I will post a review when that happens. I would recommend these if you have very very large listening area also they were a great deal for the price. But if I had to do it over iI would probably buy a smaller floorstanding speaker.

Submitted by HTM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
Have owned both the RF-63 and RF-83 speakers. All horn speakers tend to be best appreciated by those of an esotericlistening taste and the RF-83s in particular. They are room, source and cable sensitive. They produce an "in-your-face" sound that tends to brightness that encourages harmonic flutter. They require a fairly large room with a 16" x 16" being about the minimum for them to operate properly. These are speakers that really need a good 12 band equalizer. Definitely not for everybody.Both build and sound quality should be better for the price.

Submitted by davidaus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
First, let me say this review is written by someone from Australia. The first disappointment we experienced with these speakers is that the speaker cones have been miss-represented by Klipsch. The cones are not 8" as they claim. The cones are only 7", and I don't appreciate being decieved by "over-bloated" manufacturing statistics to get a sale. If Klipsch is capable of miss-representing cone size; then what else are they capable miss-represented? We previously had a pair of Australian made Aaron ATS-5 speaker that these RF-83's replaced. Lets just say that the music experience we were expecting from the RF-83's have certainly not lived up to their review reputation. The RF-83's are more than $3000AUS more expensive that the Aaron ATS-5's, but the Aarons blow these Klipsch speakers in the weeds in every aspect. After having these FR-83's for over 6 months we have found that music fatigue develops after 1/2 hour of listening. Something the Aarons never did. We have now returned to the Aarons and put the RF-83's up for sale on ebay. The RF-83's really sound harsh to the extent that we would put then in the same catergory as cheap speakes under $500. Unfortunately we can only give 1, but we would have given 0 if allowed. Total disappointment, and I would recommend anyone wanting brilliant speakers to cjeck out the Aaron ATS-5's.