Klipsch RF-83 Floorstanding Speakers

4.08/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $2800.00

A force to be reckoned with, the Reference Series RF-83 floorstander sets a new standard for the line in both sound and style. With its high-end materials and slender design, this flagship tower delivers unrivaled audio performance for those who demand the very best.

Features
Ultra-high-performance floorstanding speakers
Professional-grade titanium dome compression driver for unmatched detail and dynamics
Triple high-output Cerametallic™ woofers deliver intense bass response with astonishing speed and accuracy
Furniture-grade wood veneer finish

Submitted by Craig a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2012

Bottom Line:
Bought used.. Rf-83's are ok.. My Rf-7's (Dean G mod.) stomps all over the 83's. I'm running each into a pair of Krell Kav-250A's . The Rf-7's rule , so much detail , midrange and upper end. Bass is beefy.. Steer from the Rf-83's..Weak all the way around.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by fatdada423 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
My system is over 20 years old so I started to upgrade. I decided speakers were going to be my fisrt upgrade. I looked at several brand and decided on these Klispch Rf-83's based solely on the price I paid. If money did not matter i would not have choosen these. But since I am not rich I bought these.

How do they sound? Well I have a 14' by 19' listening area and they sound good not great. As one reviewer stated they need and equalizer so I attached my 20 year old Rotel equalizer to my system and with the proper adjustments they now sound much better. I feel I bought way to much speaker for my listening environment. These are made for a very large area. Since these are so efficient I cannot put more than 20 to 30 watts into them with out my neighbors complaining. But they rock. I did notice that when I listen to modern jazz the horns are too shrill but recently it seems the sound has tamed and I hope it gets better as they get broken in a bit more. The bass is extremely deep and mids seem ok. We'll see!

I am in no way unhappy with these I really enjoy them. Music sounds so much better than my old speakers. And I plan on purchasing the NAD M2 amp soon so I will post a review when that happens. I would recommend these if you have very very large listening area also they were a great deal for the price. But if I had to do it over iI would probably buy a smaller floorstanding speaker.

Submitted by HTM a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
Have owned both the RF-63 and RF-83 speakers. All horn speakers tend to be best appreciated by those of an esotericlistening taste and the RF-83s in particular. They are room, source and cable sensitive. They produce an "in-your-face" sound that tends to brightness that encourages harmonic flutter. They require a fairly large room with a 16" x 16" being about the minimum for them to operate properly. These are speakers that really need a good 12 band equalizer. Definitely not for everybody.Both build and sound quality should be better for the price.

Submitted by davidaus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
First, let me say this review is written by someone from Australia. The first disappointment we experienced with these speakers is that the speaker cones have been miss-represented by Klipsch. The cones are not 8" as they claim. The cones are only 7", and I don't appreciate being decieved by "over-bloated" manufacturing statistics to get a sale. If Klipsch is capable of miss-representing cone size; then what else are they capable miss-represented? We previously had a pair of Australian made Aaron ATS-5 speaker that these RF-83's replaced. Lets just say that the music experience we were expecting from the RF-83's have certainly not lived up to their review reputation. The RF-83's are more than $3000AUS more expensive that the Aaron ATS-5's, but the Aarons blow these Klipsch speakers in the weeds in every aspect. After having these FR-83's for over 6 months we have found that music fatigue develops after 1/2 hour of listening. Something the Aarons never did. We have now returned to the Aarons and put the RF-83's up for sale on ebay. The RF-83's really sound harsh to the extent that we would put then in the same catergory as cheap speakes under $500. Unfortunately we can only give 1, but we would have given 0 if allowed. Total disappointment, and I would recommend anyone wanting brilliant speakers to cjeck out the Aaron ATS-5's.

Submitted by wmiles a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
These heavy beasts will not dissapoint you. I have mine paired with a mid-range yamaha rx-565 and the sound is incredible. Play any type of music and the highs are so crisp and clear, you'll hear details you've never head before. Every breath can be heard, pic on the guitar, etc. You DO NOT NEED a subwoofer with these. 3 8" woofers on each speaker shake the whole house easily. Turn these up and they can put out some serious volume without any distortion. Even with my basic yammie amp I can rock my walls and hear them clearly in my neighbors house. Crazy!

All I can say is these put my last Bose home theatre speakers to shame, and actually I paid far less for these than those Bose lifestyle set.

Go hear them for yourself at a nearby dealer.

Product model year:   2009