Klipsch RF-7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.88/5 (84 Reviews) MSRP : $2200.00

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

The RF-7 Reference Series flagship loudspeaker was designed to provide the highest level of two-channel and multi-channel audio as well as home theater surround sound (with the matching RC-7 center channel, RSW-15 subwoofer and RS-7 rear channel speakers), but its striking metal drivers and real-wood enclosure also make it a desirable complement to any decor. Available in three beautiful furniture-grade veneers — black, maple or cherry — each handcrafted, real-wood finish is unique.
The RF-7 utilizes a combination of professional grade materials and advanced horn technology for a smooth response and consistent coverage pattern. The new Reference Series flagship’s 1.75" titanium dome compression driver is coupled to an 8" square Tractrix® Horn and powered by an unusually large, video-shielded 22oz. magnet. This combination offers the speed and accuracy needed to deliver clear, accurate, non-fatiguing high frequencies and upper midrange frequencies at any volume level. This design approach is so efficient that it virtually eliminates the most common cause of driver failure — excessive energy.

Submitted by jlong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
Over the past year I have been though numerous brands of speakers, everything from very nice bose 10.2 series 2's to these Klipsch rf-7s. WOW! The rf-7s blow every other speaker I have ever heard completely out of the water, especially at above theater volume levels. I am currently running a bi-wired, soon to be bi-amped, setup. It includes 2 Rf-7s, 2 rf-3s, and an infinity two sub, along with a denon 2105 and denon 3208 receiver...although i am currently looking for a better sub. This is the most insane yet accurate setup i have ever heard. It literally feels and sounds like you're in the movie, or adjacent to the artist while they were recording a song. If you ever get a chance to buy these guys DO IT!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by PeteD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
I purchased my Klipsch Rf-7's from EBay after reading many reviews from this and other sites. Normally, I would not have made such a weighty purchase that way. Not so much to do with money, more the complication attending reselling and shipping if not to my liking. Well-no worries there, I cannot tell you how much I am impressed with these speakers. Tight bass, mids don't get lost and highs, at least for the types of music I listen to, are smooth and detailed. I'm still a radio listener and I've purchased several Day Sequerra M2's and a couple of M4's the set up driving the Rf-7's consists of the aforementioned DS M2, Pioneer Spec 1 and Spec 2 amp, DBX-3BX DS compander along with several digital media players and my venerable Pioneer RT 909.
Between the digital radio and these great speakers I now hear details in the music that makes me sad that I waited so long.

Submitted by CCSWebWeaver a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
I recently picked up a nice pair of pre-owned one-owner Klipsch RF-7s from the original owner. Purchase included some very high-end cables, speaker wires, all original boxes packaging manuals etc. He had them listed on Craigs List for a third of current retail. I auditioned them on his gear at is place, and - disappointed with the sound quality and quantity, I said no the first time.

I went home, researched the gear he had, then looked at reviews of the speakers here on AR and on some other review sites - these speakers simply reviewed all too well to not sound better than what they did in the audition; I auditioned them again and - still less than impressed, offered him less money than he was asking. He accepted my offer, and I took these monsters home to play.

In my home on my gear the Klipsch RF-7s came to life and sound much better and louder than they did when I auditioned them on his gear at his place - the difference was night and day.

Speaker placement and orientation influences heavily upon the perceived output quality. The RF-7s are especially dependent upon proper placement, but with a little tweaking and patience, the pay off is dramatic and wonderful!

The Klipsch sound is often celebrated and much maligned nearly equally. The horns can be a little bright especially if your equipment or source it bright. Personally I like the Klipsch sound, and my equipment seems to be more on the neutral to warm side of the scale. Everyone that has heard my system has come away with overwhelmingly positive comments.

One possible negative to point out... these (and most) Klipsch speakers are VERY revealing. If your source is poorly mixed or poorly recorded, the lack of quality will come through in all its glory. Quality source and gear is important.

Another important thought to consider - the RF-7s are highly sensitive 102 db AND are rated at 250 watts continuous / 1000 max. I was originally driving them with my Pioneer VSX-1015TX (rated at 120 WPC into 8 ohms) and they sounded excellent and loud. The more volume I gave them, the better they sounded. So I decided to give the RF-7s a little more power, with the introduction of a brand new Rotel RB-1582 (200 WPC at 8 Ohms both channels driven 20-20k hz). The sound is so clean and clear that even at very high volume it is still possible to carry on a conversation in the room. It is simply amazing how good these speakers really sound. The RF-7 speakers output an extreme volume of music seemingly effortlessly; they sound great at low volume and get better as the volume increases. People can listen to these speakers for long periods of time without fatigue – I attribute this to the clarity of the sound and effortless reproduction due to the high sensitivity.

Before acquiring the RF-7s, I have been listening to a pair of RF-25s for the last 5 years; they too sound great, but cost much less than the flagship RF-7s. Klipsch makes many sizes of speakers in the reference (RF) series.

Another pair of Klipsch speakers I have had for 5 years is the Heresy-II. These speakers are the smallest from their Heritage line, which also includes the Cornwall, La Scala, Belle, and Klipshorn. The Heresy II's are more old-school big bang in your face speakers; they sound awesome and at 97 db sensitivity they are easy to drive with not much power. But when you add power, they are happy to light up and come alive. These speakers can be picked up used on eBay and CL for far less than a grand, and are worth every nickel.

Enjoy the hunt, treat it like an adventure - take your time, grab your favorite tunes and audition everything you can, ask lots of questions, don't be afraid to negotiate... and ask your local hi-end audio shop if they are selling off any demo or floor models... bargains can be had, especially as manufacturers release new models.

Best regards from an AR newbie and lifelong audio enthusiast...

Submitted by rrsmck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
soundstage 10 rows back center at teh Dorathy chandler or San Diego concert or way better than(ugh) San Deigo civic for Opera. Every note of every movement, ever cough, muscian foot scrape and even fingering slides on the instrumentas and reed toung flutters - it is all there in ugly high definition. My favorite is the 360 VOICE Mormon Tabernachle Choir recent recording with astounding microphones and quiet page turns, YOU ARE THERE. Magna P's look out!! There are a few things, but overall, the detail is confusing untill 6 or seven listens.

So - I have run these bad boys with three electronics packages from the sony home theater (don't) up to the best single lab pieces, any of which are amazing and slightly diferent in the ranges. Since I am an electrical and signal processing engineer, I am analyzing why I can hear this or that.. I got these as part of an office auction for $150, so I am not biased.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Kim Gondring a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2009

Bottom Line:
After listening to the RF-7 for several years and having upgraded all components and cables to matching quality, I am 100% pleased. I listen to Classical, Jazz, Rock, and Bluegrass and love the sound for all. The soft and the loud perform well. While the speaker weight is formidible it has its advantaged; my wife cannot move them around and mess with my setup!