Klipsch KG 5.5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.85/5 (34 Reviews)

The two-way KG Series KG 5.5 floorstanding loudspeaker was first introduced in 1994 and manufactured by Klipsch until 1997. While no longer in production, KG 5.5 model loudspeakers are still owned and listened to by Klipsch fans around the world as part of two-channel audio and home theater surround sound systems. To connect with other people who are passionate about audio and interested in Klipsch Classic products, visit one the several Klipsch Classic areas on our open forum bulletin board.

Submitted by Phung Nguyen Phong a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
Still can't believe I got this pair of KG5.5 for below $400. Crystal clear vocal & amazing open sound stage with Tractrix horn, deep tight bass with 10" woofer x 2. Been matching with 70W amp and could hardly to turn it up pass 9 o'clock coz the floor already shaking. Pop, rock, jazz, instrumental.. this baby can take all on with ease.

One thing though, this thing is damn heavy. I carried 2 of them on a trolley by myself from the seller's home opposite my block and almost got hit by a bus while crossing the road at traffic junction. What else can I say. I'm a lucky man. Probably too happy to notice the bus.. :)

Submitted by SEARSDJ a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2010

Bottom Line:
So it's clear mine are KM-06 which is a military issue of the 5.5's. I bought them from Craigslist so used half their weight was dirt... NOT dust. Knowing Klipsch for may years, I know they would help me get them back if I needed any replacement drivers. I cleaned them up and have been in awe since I hooked them up. My other Klipsch are corner horns (which are now $8000 a pair) and nice pair of KG 5.2's. These were supposed to me a simple cheap system in a room I use when I visit my son.. who is very proud of his Matthew Polk SDA/SRS 1.2 over 6 feet tall.

It's not clear to me how these KM-06's can smoke anything we've got. They are hooked up to a beat up Pioneer Vsx-D710s I also bought on Craigs List.. no remote so I don't know how the channels are biased. Plugged into my laptop audio outlet... so, my electronics's actually hurt them.

My son and I have thrown anything we can think of at them... Classical, Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, et.al. They shine on anything loud or soft. When you push them, they generate bass and you're sure they will soon distort .. they hang and stay pure. The high's are very sweet, as you'd expect from a Klipsch product, so they are normal there.. almost.. they project a sound stage where every seat in the room is good.. turn off your surrounds, because they do that too.. alone.

For those shopping for some surrounds.. these aren't it. Your going to have to spend a lot of money on fronts to beat them, plus they loose their luster in a surround system.

Bottom line.. if you find them.. don't hesitate

Submitted by Dave a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2010

Bottom Line:
To be clear, my actual models are KM-06 which is the Military issue of the KG-5.5 and the spec's match.

My first pair of Klipsch were the flagship Klipschorn Corner Horns. At a current price of $8000 a pair, still top end. My son took possession of a pair of Matthew Polk Signature SDA / SRS 1.2's. At over 6' high a real leftover from the "Big" speaker days. For me personally, I used the Klipsch in a stereo only system and matched the Polks, with other Polks for a high end Audio/Video system. Through the years I auditioned Forte's, Heresy's, and my old favorite the Chorus.

When I visit my son, I have a room that I have fixed up for when I visit and wanted a budget system. I found these on Craigs List and knowing Klipsch customer service decided even if they are trashed they can be refurbished for a reasonable price. I bought them and cleaned them up, they had been stored somewhere that was not too clean. I hooked them up to another bargain, a middle of the road Pioneer VSX-D710X using the audio lead from my laptop where I keep my music. I need to add, the Pioneer was lacking the remote, so I have no idea what bias was set on the channels. So it's safe to say my electronics didn't help them :)

I have been in shock since the minute they started performing. In comparison's they over rank the Polk's and the bass response Is superior to my corner horns. My son and I are both musicians and can not figure out how these perform so well. Our analogy is that they were probably the last speakers produced when most people didn't have a sub woofer. From the mid 90's subwoofers found their way into most systems.

One drawback was using them in surround sound mode... they are as good as anything else, but loose their luster. They like the amp bridged to stereo so they can use the power. Let's not forget, they are efficient, they just like the focus on them. They would not be good for surrounds in my opinion. They are fronts and like it there.

Last comment is the sound stage. There isn't a bad seat, no matter where you are, the sound is balanced, clear and when you crank them.. you'll swear they are going to distort... but don't in any way.

Funny after spending thousands.. I feel I have a better sound for pennies.. and back to Klipsch. If I ever have a problem, they will handle it. I blew a tweeter in my corner horns several years ago, when I called them they asked I contact them the following Monday and discuss the issue with Engineering. Monday afternoon, UPS delivered 2 new tweeters, a check made out to me for $40 to cover installation (8 phillips screws) and a prepaid label to return the old tweeters. When I called, they were most interested in getting the tweeters back for examination.. they don't like problems with their products.

If you find a pair of KG 5.5's or KM-06's I wouldn't hesitate. I can't imagine being disappointed, my son and I did discuss that sometimes certain items are just better, kind of like buying a car made on Wednesday stories. They truly are extraordinary have been sold for the last time.. I need them.

Submitted by drwho322 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
First off, let me posit that since I currently own 4 pairs of Klipsch floorstanding speakers spanning 3 models, I think I can make this pretty accurate. Just like in your love life, 2 inches can make all the difference. I have, for the sake of best mix, tried every receiver in the house (pioneer vsx d709s, vsx d909s, adcom gfa-555/nad 2600 combo and a Carver the reciever 722) The other klipsches are the RF3-II (2 pair) and KG 4 giganto bookshelf / micro floorstanding. Those speakers all use dual 8"'s and this with the dual 10"'s literally blows them out of the water. They are on the used market cheaply, I can promise you they arent blown because you would need an amp CANNON. with the NAD 2600 (i think 150x2) I cant turn it up past 50% because the house is shaking. I am not even kidding or using hyperbole. that would be about 75x2 or so. one word to the wise however. ALL horn driven speakers are bright - great for rock, hip hop, but you will need to adjust down the treble for any and all brassy jazz, full orchestra, etc. Enjoy!

Submitted by choliou a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Bottom Line:
I was lucky to find these kg 5.5.They sound wonderfull and they are my two tigers standing in the two front corners of the living room.they are medium oak,just like the tiger 's back texture.That's I call them my tigers.I almon oil them once every two week.You can't get nicer pieces of art and quality sounds speakers than these for the money.

JBL Northridge E80s vs Klipsch KG 4.5

Hi everyone, newbie here but looking for some expert advice. I've owned a pair of JBL northridge E80s for about a year now. They've been awesome but recently have had some problems. First, the backs of the speaker cases ahve started to rattle and recently one of the tweeters blew out. I put them ... Read More »

JMLab Chorus 707s vs. Klipsch KG 2.5

Hi. I know this is a long shot, but can anybody offer a general comparison between the JMLab Chorus 707s and the Klipsch KG 2.5? Asides the fact that the Klipsch is way older. :D CheersRead More »