Klipsch KG 4 Floorstanding Speakers

4.7/5 (92 Reviews)

Medium sized horn speakers

Submitted by demort71 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of KG4s at a second hand store last month for a measily $160! I never thought I would own a pair of Klipsch speakers, meaning my tightwad wife wouldn't let me spend serious money on new stereo equip., but these were too good of a deal even in her book!

This year I started to upgrade my audio equip. No, I am not up to Macintosh quality, but we are getting bigger and better and that is what it is about-right? I have had a 30W Yamaha amp and DCM speakers for two decades now. The DCMs I love and the Yamie is OK. I just sold a Marantz 2225 receiver yesterday on eBay for $200. Sweet yes, but not enough volume.

My newest vintage receiver is a Sansui G3500 Pure Power. The Sansui does a good job at a lowly volulme level 4 driving the Klipschs to levels that start shaking the upstairs floor. My opinion is the KG4s are lacking on the bottom end, while the mids and highs are nicely defined. What to do? No sub for me, I have a pair of muddy JVC SK-303 8 ohm three ways to pick up the slack on the bottom end. Actually the four of them work well together. The Klipschs takes care of the highs and some of the mids and the JVCs share the mids and provide more bass. Blend them together and you get a better sound. I just bought a TEAC EQA-20 equalizer that is going on the Sansui system, so I will see what it can do to improve things.

These KG4s are quality speakers and they play instrumental music and yes even blues (should I say ZZ Topp style blues) very well. For the money I didn't go wrong. My more audiophile younger brother has a pair of Klipsch Heritages and three Marantz receivers and amps. He thought I scored big time on the KG4s. I was glad to add them to my system. If you have a pair that you are unhappy with, send them to me and I will put them to use! LOL!

Submitted by Omarah a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2011

Bottom Line:
These classic speakers are the great secret for producing fantastic sound for a pittance. They're still selling on Craigslist for $200 - $250 per pair (as of Jan. 2011). The experience gets even better if you have the room to stack two pairs horn to horn, elevated so horns are at ear level.

One important point. You definitely, yes DEFINITELY will want to upgrade the diaphragm in the horns. It's a moderately delicate but simple process that will change the tight, overbright highs (IMO) into smooth and listenable. This change costs about $35 per speaker and will immediately give you a fantastic quality upgrade. Wish I could adequately describe the difference in sound, but I promise you it is worth it and makes a very noticeable change. You can rebuild the crossovers, too, if you wish, kits also available from Bob Crites. Page link for the diaphragm info: http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html

FYI, these are fantastic for tube amps. I built a Bob Latino Dynaco running 60w per channel. My preamp is also a tube model fed by an Oppo BDP-83 SE Blu-Ray/HD audio player. I get amazing presence, a wide and deep soundstage and enjoy introducing people to how great music can sound even from what most people would consider a budget system.

Negotiate your best price on a pair of KG4's, install the titanium diaphragms and you'll never part with these speakers.

Submitted by 8watt300b a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
I bought a set of these speakers just recently from a gentleman who had just retired, sold his house and was moving across Canada. I tested them side by side with my Heresy's and was blown away. They sound so different but definately from the same family. The KG4's have so much more bottom end and not quite as sharp (read bright) as the Heresy. I would switch out the Heresy's today if they weren't 4db/wm more efficient than the KG4 and when you only have 8 watts/ch to play with, that makes a big difference.
Anyways, before jumping on the Klipsch Heritage bandwagon and paying way too much....give the KG series a try. Much better value IMHO.

Submitted by vargas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have had my kg4's since 1988, they were a college grad. gift from my mother. I own a pair of Klipsch cf4's and Klipsch reference speakers. I bring the kg4's out of storage every few years and they still sound great .They have no problem filling my large condo with loud crisp sound. As a matter of fact, there's some thing about klipsch that even at a distance from their sweet spot or in another room they still sound natural. The kg4's may not have the depth and deep end of some way more expensive speakers, but they dont lack these qualities either. They just play accurate clean music very very very loud, like no other speaker family.

Submitted by gzman71 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
PRICE PAID $460 (australia)

SUMMARY; just another pair of speakers?.....no,not even close!

these are so dynamic with all types of music...
so easy to drive,sound good at all volumes.....
have listened to lots of speakers over the last 20 yrs and this is the first pair of
Klipsch i've heard and doubt that i could buy a speaker that would touch these under $1000
these may not be perfect in every sense to some looking for polite speakers.....
highs,mids,and bottom end all excellent! ....but they are so enjoyable!
they have that vibe that makes listening to music fun!
they sound excellent with vinyl also and as for home theatre these don't need no sub as they are just mad speakers!!
i have mine hooked up to a yamaha ax-592 2 channel 100 watt amp and am impressed!
if i had to compare these speakers i would say when i had b&w 602 s2/s3 i loved that bass and quality but the tweeter would get a bit bright and never thought i'd fine something better/different at this price but these are one step beyond the 602's...((((deeper bass))))
better top end,and just as punchy!
midrange maybe a little better on the b&w's.....but nothing to dramatic!
i do love those b&w's but would i swap these kg4's for em?......no way!!
sonic heaven is a lovely place................................................................................................................................

JBL Northridge E80s vs Klipsch KG 4.5

Hi everyone, newbie here but looking for some expert advice. I've owned a pair of JBL northridge E80s for about a year now. They've been awesome but recently have had some problems. First, the backs of the speaker cases ahve started to rattle and recently one of the tweeters blew out. I put them ... Read More »

Klipsch KG 4

I found a pair of Klipsh KG 4 on CL for $150, provided they are in good shape are they worth it? I was thinking of replacing my P-152 fronts with them or using them in a vintage system. I was also thinking of new Polk TSi 200s for about $230 shipped Opinions?Read More »