Klipsch Cornwall Floorstanding Speakers

4.7/5 (83 Reviews) MSRP : $1750.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by geoff. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2016

Bottom Line:
Review is for Cornwall 1's, last production run. K-77 tweeter with square magnet, K-57-K squaker, K-33-E woofer with square magnet, and B-3 crossover.

Over the years I have owned many speakers I THOUGHT were good, really good.

At some point Klipsch Heresy's came into my life and they changed my appreciation of music forever. But I still like the bass in my face. But ONLY if it is in phase! Even with a separate subwoofer under each speaker I could not get the right sound.

I thought I found the answer with a monster pair of Cerwin-Vega CLSC 215's. That is until I listened to the Herseys agian and heard how much detail was missing to get that bass.

Then I stumbled onto this pair of Cornwalls. The most I ever paid for a set of speakers, and now I know why.

I have no use for any other speaker in a two channel set-up now. Sold nearly all of them, Heresy's included, model I's and II's. Sold the Vega's. Sold the PSB Stratus Silver i's.

The Forte II's I own have detail, but the Corwalls have all that AND the punch in the gut! Even at LOW volume they deliver impact. They beg to be turned up. Not because they need to be louder, but because it doesn't make any sense not to!

No compression at high volume, no lack of detail at any volume, and the BASS, rock solid bass. I think having the drivers behind the motorboard allows them to be enjoyed in a normal sized room without having to sit 20 feet away.

Once you have heard horns, and like them, you are hooked. Once you hear a 15" woofer, you are hooked. These have it all and sound like they go much lower than the 38 hz spec'd.

And this is a 32 year old pair of un-modified speakers! Cornscala anyone?

I cannot imagine how dynamic the Cornwall III's sound!

Submitted by Fielding Dickey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2016

Bottom Line:
In 1978 I traded 2 Heresys and some cash for my Cornwalls. They moved with me too Florida, have stayed with me during three marriages, and there is a good possibility they will be buried with me. They are the only speakers I've heard whose horns could cut you like a knife while that big 15" woofer beat the breath out of you, I remember reading that during an electronics trade show in the mid 70's Paul Klipsch, to show how efficient the Cornwall was, hooked them up a 1 watt transistor radio (remember those?) and turned the volume up to the point of pain and with no distortion. Even with 100 watt maximum they can break your windows and have neighbors call the police. THAT'S why I got them and why I won't part with them for any amount of money. I love my Cornwalls.

Submitted by Randy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Bottom Line:
My pair of Klipsch Cornwalls just turned 31 years old and they are just as beautiful and sound like they did 31 years ago. They are still such an impressive speaker and so efficient. They are a tank. When buying speakers remember you get what you pay for. I think I paid about $1,600 for the pair in 1980 and they are worth more today than when I bought them.

Submitted by Tomski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
I still can remember the first time I saw a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls. I was initially draw to them for their enormous size, I was 20 years old and I couldn't believe how effortless their sound was, It seemed to just flow through the speaker in a manner I wasn't familar with.
I had to have them ! I went home knowing the next day I was going back to buy them. After a little bargaining I ended up with their demo pair. They were 1983 CWOs. Now 27 years later, I am still just has impressed as I was that first day. Klipsch Heritage speakers work for decades!
There are few things in the consumer world, that you can use on a daily basis and expect to get 30,40,50,or more years of use out of. Klipsch Heritage speakers are one of those items. In one of their brochures they talked about a Heritage speaker being a lifetime investment, Well that is exactly what they are.
If you checkout the review here from 7/20/99 it is from Mitja Borko. He is the author of the " Klipsch Cornwall Loudspeaker Systems- Test report on electroacoustic measurements and listening evaluation"
He has a Masters in Science and is also an Electrical Engineer, In his own words he has " Tested hundreds of loudspeakers"
I first read his review after owning my CWs for about 17 years. His review confirmed everything I ever felt or thought about these speakers. Im sure someone on the Klipsch website could get you a copy if requested. Mitja also gives some praise to the Rogers LS3/5A speakers, Checkout some of the reviews for those speakers and you should be able sense a passion about their speakers as well.

Submitted by Jim Y a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
Oh my gosh, where do I begin. I replaced Bose 901's in 1981 with a used pair of Cornwalls because the 901's did not have enouph bottom for my taste, I started out with a Marantz 2270 reciever, 140 watts. I then plugged in a Carver M400 amp initially to drive the 901's. The 2270 did not have the guts to drive the 901's. The Carver had 5 times the power needed to run the Cornwalls. I now had the volume I desired. Along came the kids and the morgage and college and weddings. I enjoyed the setup for a long time . My kids are grown and I finally upgraded the old stuff. I now have a Martin Logan sub, the Parasound Halo p-3 preamp and the Parasound 2125 250 watt amp and a Cambridge 540c Cd player. Wow!!!. My 30 plus year old Cornwalls ROCK anew. The highs are crystal clean and the mids are powerful. The base is enhanced by the Martin Logan sub. I thought of replacing the Cornwalls, but no more. Klipsch Cornwall speakers are timeless. Buy a pair now and you will never need another speaker.