KLH 911B Floorstanding Speakers

3.93/5 (58 Reviews)

Satellite or small bookshelf speaker, 2 way, 1" tweeter, 5.25" woofer, rear port.

Submitted by jazzfusiondude a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2009

Bottom Line:
I purchased these to be used as temporary passive reference monitors for mixing at my home studio primarily because of the flat sound these produce; - that's what reference monitors are supposed to sound like. They obviously didn't sound nearly as clear or good as the Mackie or KRK's but actually served their purpose well.

Submitted by nicechuck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
the klh 911b is a great speaker. i've had paradigm atoms (somewhat better than the klh but more expensive too) but these are just great. i use them for front rear and i have a klh center channel too i also have an optimus 120 watt powered subwoofer which works great with the klh speakers

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by wualta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Note that the newest batch of 911Bs from Best Buy is sealed-box, not ported as before. This means less bass (unless you boost it), but tighter bass, and a bit more protection for the woofer (some of the ported ones decentered their woofer voice coils in their enthusiasm). The new design also allows you to hang them on a wall. With good room placement, a judicious amount of boost and at least 50w/ch, you'll be surprised at the quality of the bass you can coax out of what we might call the 911B Mk II.

They'd probably sound even better if you popped the woofer and filled 'em with loose glass fiber.

The cabinets are the same as before: thickwalled and sturdy, good for projects should you tire of the Quad ELS-like midrange. No, I'm kidding. But you'll like 'em for ten bucks apiece.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Ty M-H a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a great product if you are using it as a rear speaker...I wouldn't suggest going out and buying 4 of them and using them as your speakers but as a rear speaker they sound excellent! The treble sounds pretty good...however the bass leaves quite a bit to be desired. If you have a Subwoofer it won't be bad. At 9.99 who can really complain.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by VoicOfReason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2003

Bottom Line:
Wow! Along without another reviewer, I wouldn't normally recommend KLH speakers, but these are suprisingly good. I have been building up a home theatre system on a budget. Most reviewers don't give their full stereo setup, so let me give it to you:
- Kenwood VR-7070 receiver (THX certified)
- 2 Klipsch Quintet front speakers
- Klipsch KSW-12 subwoofer
- Standard speaker wire
- 4 KLH 911B speakers (used for center front channel, center back channel, and left and right rear surround channels)

The previous reviewer is correct. They provide little, if any, bass output. Hook them up as channels for a home theatre setup with a subwoofer and they provide a rich, warm, detailed, but FLAT sound. I'm still deciding whether the 911B works well as a front center channel. When I first got them, I played Lord of the Rings at high volume and the center channel was very harsh. However, I spent 24 hours running music through them to break them in, and the harshness dissappeared. Another thing I noticed is that they play a few DB louder than my Klipsch Quintets, so after using a sound meter, I had to turn the center channel down -4 DB to match the others. Strangely, the surrounds didn't need adjustment. I also noticed that they compliment the Quintets in an interesting way. Many have said the Quintets aren't the best for serious music listening. However, in Circle Surround II mode on my Kenwood receiver, which makes use of all the speakers, I noticed a substantial improvement in music quality over the Klipsch. I'm not sure I would use them as front main speakers (L & R), but then again if you are really strapped for money, they wouldn't be bad. Speaker design is solid, soft grill can be removed. They go to VERY high volumes with no distortion (after being broken in). Where they especially shine is as surround rear speakers. They add incredible depth to the rest of a system. In fact, I would recommend them as surrounds for ANY system, no matter how expensive. That I got them for $9.99 at Best Buy is a bargain. One last thing: the most recent issue of Consumer Reports includes the 911B along with a bunch of other home theatre speakers. They listed them at $85 and I think they said they were "very good" for sound quality. I think it was also a top 17 list of HT speakers.

Purchased At:   Best Buy Store

KLH 911B and L652B...which is better? Thanks

I am going to get either 3 pairs of KLH 911B or 3 pairs of KLH L652B for my home theatre. (I am a poor student, so I can only afford cheap solutions). The 911B has received many positive reviews from this site and some other websites. But I could not find any review about the L652B. I know nothin ... Read More »

KLH 911B ($50) excel in Treble, but failed in midrange.

After auditioning this speaker (5-1/4 woofer, 1" tweeter) for one week for late night listening purposes in my system (TV/Music), I returned them. It is surprisingly well made and solid for $50, and it is acoustic suspension design. What stired toward this speaker was its higher frequency respon ... Read More »