KLH 900B
Description: bookshelf

Submitted by Mike Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2013

Bottom Line:
These are cheap speakers for low budget systems. I paid ten bucks for mine! They still sound great 14 years later! I use them for rears. Cabnets are to light as they tend to move around on my wood floors when cranked! All materials used in construction are still like new. No signs of deteriation. ~Bajas Playtape Page~

Submitted by Thomas Mansfield a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I wanted a set of rear channel speakers for surround sound.I listened to these and compared them side by side with a pair of Cerwin-vegas 8 inch two-way,no comparison,the Cerwin-vegas sounded like they had a blanket thrown over them when compared to the KLH'S.You could spend double or triple the money and still not do any better then the sound of these speakers.Very clean highs,good mid-range, clean non-boomy bass.If you can find a pair,buy them,you will like what you hear.Tom.

Purchased At:   Rex store

Submitted by milaz001 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
When I put together the speaker package for my home theater system, I focused my effort (and money) on the center-channel speaker. That was the right decision, and my JBL HLS center sounds wonderful 3 years on.

To complete the front-sub-rear circuit, I chose KLH. In terms of price/performance ratio, KLH is still leagues ahead of its competition. The 900B is a terrific 3-way bookshelf speaker, with very punchy, very up-front highs, satisfactory mids and some of the flattest, warmest lows I've heard from a bookshelf speaker.

Two years into their tour of duty in my system, a friend stopped by and was blown away by their tone. He wanted some of his own--no luck, couldn't find a pair. So, he purchased a set of Bose 201 Series IV bookshelf speakers. I thought they sounded decent as stereo speakers in his home, so I borrowed them for a test run against the 900Bs.

Well, I was surprised that the KLHs offered much more precise stereo imaging with far crisper highs and more solid bass. I don't care for Bose's Direct Reflection technology, and, of course, they are exquisitely dependent upon their position in the room.

Verdict: 900B superior to 201, in my ears anyway.

Bottom line: This whole business of 'reviewing' speakers is something of a joke, isn't it. You 'review' speakers with your ears, bottom line. Don't let a particular brand name (or lack thereof) intimidate you. Don't let a salesperson intimidate you into purchasing more than you need (or less, for more money!). The best advice I can give is purchase your speakers in a store that allows for returns, because the showroom, in all of its acoustically-pristine splendor, is NOT your living room, den or bedroom.

I find the KLH 900B to be a wonderful, musical bookshelf speaker, perfect as fronts in a surround circuit and more than acceptable in 2-speaker stereo (even without a subwoofer). Let your ears decide, but don't shy away from KLH simply because they're less expensive or have less brand recognition. They've been around a LONG time (although the company has changed hands since its early days in Cambridge) and they still make a quality speaker.

Enjoy...

Purchased At:   Best Buy (1999)

Submitted by AudioGuy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
A good buy if you want something that plays sound
and sounds OK (more or less), but if you really want
to hear music, your $100 might be better spent
on buying real speakers such as older EPIs or Vintage
Advents on Ebay, for about the same price (and
comparable to real quality speakers today that would
set you back $400 to $600).
I also own a larger pair of KLHs, and they
don't play much better than the 910s. They're all just
typical, modern speakers with cheap drivers in
undersized cabinets (or, more accurately, oversized
drivers for the cabinet). When compared to a real speaker
such as my EPI 100s, I can't believe the difference.
Somehow, the cheap drivers and cabinets of the KLHs
are missing half the music. The EPIs also play about 10
to 15 dB louder too for the same amp settings
(must be the drivers/magnets).

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by brad nolan a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
speakers are ok, rattle too much when turned up loud. they couldn't keep up with the rest of my system, so i put them as one of my rear speaker sets.

as long as you don't need these as any type of "main" speaker, they will do fine.

oh, and i noticed these at my local fred meyers... you are retarded if you buy them at freddy's... they're selling them for over $100 i think... i got these for $52 including shipping.

Purchased At:   egghead.com